On vehicle rules...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Karagin
11/05/01 06:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Can you make up your mind???

One mintue you don't want fire, now you do...are you sure you even know what you are doing?

How about getting the vehicles done up and sent to me so I can see what I am facing and you can get my mechs and then we can get this over with and you can learn that you have no clue as is normal but you don't understand that tell it's beat down your throat.

So less talk and more on to getting this over with...

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin

Karagin
11/05/01 06:16 PM

You are forgetting that with the way the damage is given to a vehicle via it's arcs the same location stand to take mulitple hits and fail much faster then a mech armor break down do to the fact that the mech can take the internal hits and still be there in the game...CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT???

Karagin

Karagin

Greyslayer
11/05/01 06:17 PM

Did I say infernoes .... nope. A tank entering a burning hex must roll 8+ or be destroyed no inferno needed ... oh and a M113A1 was hardly air-tight either ;).

Greyslayer

Karagin
11/05/01 06:22 PM

Wow you are using hovers...why doesn't that surprise me...oh wait I forgot you are making this up as you go so I guess in the end you will still find away to claim you won no matter the out come of the fight...

HELLO...your theory is that vehicles can run rings around mechs cause according to you they have more advantages then mechs, so the vehicle type shouldn't matter, but you instist on hovercrafts...maybe I should go with LAMs all armed with LBX weapons...that should really be a nice game...

Let me spell this out so you can really understand it, send me your vehicles, and I will send you the mechs. That way niether of us can spend all day figuring out the weakness of the other's units...

Any questions???

Karagin

Karagin

Bob_Richter
11/05/01 09:15 PM

>>>Any questions???<<<

What tonnage are you using?

What tech are you using?

Answer these questions, and I will have vehicles to you within 24 hours.

I am NOT making ANYTHING up as I go along. Tonnage was part of my thesis as stated.

And it is also my contention that a properly designed vehicles cannot used tracked mobility.

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
11/06/01 12:05 AM

Yes you are making things up as you go along...the over all theory keeps changing and then you limit it to only certain vehicles being bad etc...

I am using four mechs, ranging from 40 to 75 tons, Tech 2 does that help?

Or did you forget this was lance on lance...

Karagin

Karagin

Bob_Richter
11/06/01 12:09 AM

okay...which means your tonnage is anywhere from 160 to 300.

Tell me, Karagin, do you have trouble adding?

An exact number would not be impossible.

And, no, I haven't changed anything. Anyone with elementary training in logic should be able to recognize that the conditions I have requested are only those necessary for you to DISPROVE MY POINT.

-Bob Richter

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Karagin
11/06/01 12:45 AM

240 tons...you figure out what each mech weighs based on that.

You keep wanting thing YOUR way, there is no randomness if you want to pick both the units and the terrain...as said on ICQ if you want that kind of fight flip over a map and test it your self, cause you are not proving anything of your point by trying to pick the terrain you want...that is why I listed a set of maps that hurts BOTH of us and gives us BOTH something to use...and yet you don't like that...

Karagin

Karagin

Bob_Richter
11/06/01 01:39 PM

Um. Okay. Looks like I'll have to spot you 40 tons. No problem.

Actually, to prove my point, its best that randomness be eliminated as it will MUDDY THE RESULTS OF THE TEST.

But I will get some terrain drawn up by a third party.
Hey Lev, you up for this?

-Bob Richter

Karagin
11/06/01 03:33 PM

Randominess doesn't muddy the waters...you want all the events to favor your side, sorry nope.

You picked the forces, I picked the terrain, live with it and let's get this over with.

Karagin

Karagin

Bob_Richter
11/06/01 03:43 PM

>>>Randominess doesn't muddy the waters...<<<

Yes it does, unless a great number of tests are used to sift out its effects.

>>>you want all the events to favor your side, sorry nope. <<<

Yes, because I want you to have the BEST POSSIBLE CHANCE of disproving me. Think, Karagin, if I have everything go my way, and I still lose, wouldn't that put me in an entirely untenable position? I'd HAVE to admit I was wrong, wouldn't I?

And, well, heck...It's not like I'm saying "My dice always roll 12s, and yours always roll 2s"

So the randomness is still there, just not the extremely restrictive terrain to limit the combat to close range.

>>>You picked the forces, I picked the terrain, live with it and let's get this over with.<<<

I picked HALF the forces (you picked the other half), it's only fair that a third party should design the terrain, besides, we CAN'T use the terrain you want....unless you want to copy it onto OpenRPG.

-Bob Richter

Karagin
11/06/01 03:47 PM

Either the random events stay or no game...random means anything can happen and it allows for either of us to win...

Deal with it or don't. I have everything I need to prove you wrong...you have to PROVE your theory, all I have to do is show you the know results of mechs fighting vehicles...that is it...so the ball is in your court not mine.

Karagin

Karagin

NathanKell
01/01/02 11:57 PM

Ah, but that's the ticket!
You mean a *unit* of given weight, rather than a *force* of given weight...
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
01/02/02 02:34 PM

I would challenge this assertion.

It's just as easy to mess with a 'Mech's movement, and the vehicle will almost always be faster (or far better armed.)

Nightmare
01/03/02 12:42 AM

Vehicles are forbidden to enter woods though. Plant more
trees on every planet known to man! You`ll soon get rid of
those pesky tanks :)
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Bob_Richter
01/03/02 01:06 AM

Not all vehicles. Tanks may enter light woods. Woods can also be cleared.

Nightmare
01/04/02 12:44 AM

I stand corrected :)
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Korbel
01/05/02 08:56 AM

Gotta love that SRM carrier loaded up with infernos igniting those forests where the mechs are hiding.
oh... is there an inferno version of Artillery?... Ignites radius of 2-4 would REALLY be great... How much heat is accumulated for passing through a fire hex?
Nightmare
01/05/02 10:47 AM

There should be a Inferno Arrow IV missile available
to someone, perhaps the Capellans?
TheFerryman
02/06/18 06:17 PM

I call shenanigans. A 2 ton hydrofoil with an 15/23 movement and a small laser? Using what rule sets?

Engine: (tonnage x move speed) - suspension factor = (2 x 15) - 60 = -30, so there is a math error right there. The smallest engine is a 10 rating and weighing in at a hefty .50 tons for the XL version, so using the smallest and engine available your speed would be (2 x ?) - 60 = 10 or a speed of 35/51...

Lets also postulate you have a house rule where you can allocate in .25 ton lots, instead of .5 ton lots - a common enough house rule. Standard rules specifically dictate that Lift Equip, C&C, IS, ect are rounded up to the nearest 0.5 tons - I too use the 0.25 ton house rule.

Engine: 0.5 tons - 10 XL
Engine Shielding: 0.25 tons
Lift Equipment: 0.5 tons or 0.25 tons
Cockpit & Control: 0.5 tons or 0.25 tons
Internal Structure: 0.5 tons or 0.25 tons
Weapons: 0.5 tons - small laser
Power Amplifiers: .1 tons (the only item that states you can allocate in 0.1 ton lots)

Without adding *any* armor, you are already at 2.85 tons or 2.1 tons with the house rule. Either way, already *over weight*.

You have a total of 5 free heat sinks, which is good. 1 in the engine and 4 in the body. A 10 rated engine can hold 1 internally, and a 2 ton has a max of 5 spaces (1 for the laser and 4 for free heat sinks)

Still *over weight and ZERO armor*...

Also, even if you could somehow make it a legit build, your friend could have owned you if his 3 x 100 tonners were subs - lrm and srm torpedo launchers, stealth armor, and electronics.
CrayModerator
02/06/18 06:45 PM

Quote:
I call shenanigans. A 2 ton hydrofoil with an 15/23 movement and a small laser? Using what rule sets?

Psst. This thread is 17 years old. Meant in good humor:

If you want, I'm actually acquainted with the thread's originator on Facebook and CBT.com and can nudge them to come back and look, but I don't know about most of the participants.

Incidentally:

Quote:
Lets also postulate you have a house rule where you can allocate in .25 ton lots, instead of .5 ton lots - a common enough house rule. Standard rules specifically dictate that Lift Equip, C&C, IS, ect are rounded up to the nearest 0.5 tons - I too use the 0.25 ton house rule.

In ye olden days, vehicle rules didn't round, or rounded to the tenth of a ton - I ferget which, it's been a while. A 2-ton vehicle could thus look like:

0.2 tons internal structure
0.2 tons hydrofoil bits
0.1 tons controls (adds up nicely to 0.5 tons so far)
0.75 tons minimum standard fusion engine (0.5 tons + 50% shielding)
0.25 tons armor: 1pt front/sides/back
0.5 tons small laser

I think you're correct about the speed, I don't see a way to get it as low as 15/23 for a 2-ton hydrofoil.

You can also see the lack of rounding in things like the original 21-ton Warrior VTOL. Somewhere around the publication of BattleTech Master Rules, Revised, the rounding changed to the current state.

Edited by Cray (02/06/18 06:51 PM)
Karagin
02/07/18 12:29 AM

We are still here...
Karagin

ATN082268
02/07/18 09:03 AM

This thread is almost old enough to vote...
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 134187

Contact Admins Sarna.net