Arena vs Battlefield 'Mechs

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
09/18/14 11:27 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Over the 13 years (!) I've been a member of this site, I've seen hundreds--if not thousands--of design postings. For the most part, they have certain things in common (including the most bizarre JMInc. monstrosities)...certain design philosophies are apparent again and again, reflecting a 'Mech's specialized role as a Scout, Brawler, Urban, Fire Support, Command, or All-Purpose.

Then I started designing for the Arena event, which spawned the Anvil, Anvil II, and Atomic Bullfrog, among others. Furthermore, reviewing the competing designs, I've noticed a completely different design philosophy. When considerations like Cost, Battle Value, Component Availability, Logistical Support, and Marketability are thrown out, designs get decidedly odd...

Anyone else notice this? Anyone else design specifically for Solaris-style Arena use? Is this so obvious that it's a feature in the canon BT Universe?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
09/18/14 05:49 PM

There are mechs built 100% for the arena, the old Solairs Box set had a lot of them as did the Mechwarrior Adventure module Unbound and Rouges and Royalty. I found one or two in that mix that made decent cross overs, but the rest didn't.

I have seen many home mechs built for arena fights and they worked great there, some with normal tech and others made of a mix of what was Level 3 stuff that turned out crazy and still managed to work and some that I questioned what was going through the mind of it's maker.

What do you consider to be arena mechs? To me many of the melee weapon carrying mechs are not battlefield mechs, but more of area mechs, others will not share this idea or agree.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
09/18/14 06:35 PM

Eh, I just consider arena mechs to be any mech designed specifically to operate in the environment of arenas. Short ranged weaponry is key, and many arena mechs are designed to look as cool as they are fatal.

Compared to a battlefield mech, who are designed to work in a military unit. If short ranged weaponry dominates these, they've got a rather specific niche to fill out such as urban warfare, and will likely dominate Arena mechs in a battlefield situation.
Karagin
09/18/14 07:14 PM

I doubt mechs like the Urbanmech will do well in an arena but YMMV
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
KamikazeJohnson
09/18/14 08:18 PM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

I doubt mechs like the Urbanmech will do well in an arena but YMMV

Not that the Urbie paticularly excels at Urban combat either...it's effective, and almost disposably cheap...makes it a good garrison choice.
--Thomas Jefferson
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
09/21/14 07:22 AM

I have never really thought of mechs for the arena. Can you be a little more specific what makes a good arena mech?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
09/21/14 12:17 PM

I don't think it's particular features, it's more the design philisophy.

Designing an Arena 'Mech is partly like playing Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock. Rather than building for general usefulness, you're trying to guess what the other guy is putting into the fight, and designing something specifically to beat it.

In addition, arenas lend themselves to short-range combat (more exciting for the spectators), so physical weapons are common. Durability and firepower get chosen over speed. Lots of exoerimental tech, as these are one-off 'Mechs...easier to justify a price tag over C20,000,000 when you're only building ONE, rather than thousands.

For myself, I use MUCH lower ammo supplies for an arena 'Mech...no point carrying around explosive ammo that you won't get a chance to use. After all, you get to reload after every fight.

And of course Flash is important as well...the design has to LOOK cool, to generate some "shock and awe". It might turn out to be no more effective than a good ol' Whammy, but everyone would rather see a freakish combination of equipment than something familiar.

My thoughts at least.
--Thomas Jefferson
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
09/23/14 03:35 PM

I am trying my hand at an arena mech design but I have a snag. I don't have the design rule book in my truck and cant look things up.

What is the construction rules for a hatchet?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
09/23/14 07:26 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I am trying my hand at an arena mech design but I have a snag. I don't have the design rule book in my truck and cant look things up.

What is the construction rules for a hatchet?

Hatchet is 1 ton/1 crit for every 15 tons.
--Thomas Jefferson
Fenris_LC
10/22/14 08:28 AM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I have never really thought of mechs for the arena. Can you be a little more specific what makes a good arena mech?

Depends on the arena you play in. But as a general rule, you want to be fast and have a lot of hitting power up close. Good Armor doesn't hurt either.
Fire Support is rather unusual, I'd say, so your Gauss-toting assaults might as well just stay in the stable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5059

Contact Admins Sarna.net