Donkey

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
10/21/14 01:46 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Assinine Industries was looking to expand their advertising markets and decided to get into the Solaris games. They spent a great deal of money to out fit three mechs to be eye catching and unique. To that end Assinine Industries bought the plans to design large mech shields which no one else on Solaris has access to do to the five million C-bill price tag. At first there was filed an objection to the gaming commission to the Assinine Industries mechs having the Large Shields but when Assinine Industries made the argument that anyone that wanted the technology was quite free to spend the five million price tag to buy each set of plans for Large Shield technology. It was ruled in Assinine Industries favor to let the mechs fight with the Large Shields.

To make the Donkey mech make people think of Assinine Industries the mech was built to look like a large anthropomorphic donkey. It was given a donkeys shaped head which includes large donkey looking ears, equine looking legs with hooves, and a movable donkeys tail. There are speakers inside the mouth that can blare out a donkeys bray when the pilot wishes to use it as a distraction to his opponents or when in the winners circle to remind people of the owners Assinine Industries.

The mech was designed to fight down and dirty at melee range. It can strip an entire ton of armor off an enemies mech with each swing of its Battle Hatchet. The mech was given three Clan Medium Lasers for ranged attacks.

The big thing that really separates from any other mech is the massive Large Shield that it carries for defense. The shield can absorb six hits from a AC/20 before being destroyed and discarded. Behind the shield the mech supports just under thirty tons of hardened armor.

Equipment Mass 75
Internal Structure: -Endo Steel 3.75t
Engine: 375 XL 19.75t
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 7
Jumping MP: 5
Heat Sinks: 10 (20) Double
Gyro: 2 XL
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: hardened 228 28.5t

Internal Armor/Armor
Head 3/9
Center Torso 23/35
Center Torso(rear) -/11
R/L Torso 16/25
R/L Torso(rear) -7
R/L Arm 12/24
R/L Leg 16/32

Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Clan ER Small Laser H(R) – 1 - .5
3 Clan Medium lasers RT - 3 – 3
Targeting Computer LT – 1- 1
Large shield LA - * - 3.5
Hatchet RA - 5 - 5

(Large Shield)
endo steel internal structure 32p 2t
Ferro-Aluminum Armor 94p 5.25t

The three mechs that Assinine Industries created for the Solaris games the Donkey, Grand Knight, and Squire proved to be quite successful in promoting Assinine Industries business. Sells of Assinine Industries weapon systems had gone up determinately. It also does not hurt as a side investment that the three mechs are also bringing in good revenue for Assinine Industries them self's. The only thing that Adam Eselon the CEO of Assinine Industries is upset about is that he did not think of doing this sooner
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
10/21/14 06:01 PM

Is that how shields are built?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
BobTheZombieModerator
10/21/14 06:38 PM

Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
10/21/14 08:09 PM

Quote:
Cray writes:

I really am surprised that you don't know. This is the first time and I'm willing to bet the last time that I will ever catch you flat footed about some BT rule.

I followed the rules that are here on the wiki. The wiki says that the rules are official but not cannon.

Here is the wiki page that talks of large shields.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Large_Shield
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
BobTheZombieModerator
10/21/14 11:15 PM

Jeesh, we really need to overhaul that page; the info is just everywhere and it only has one reference. To put it in Scaletail's words when he first saw it:

"Wow. This is. I mean, wow. I don't. What?"
KamikazeJohnson
10/22/14 12:06 AM

Now that one could be an interesting fight for JMInc.'s Atomic Bullfrog.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
10/22/14 04:21 AM

So you think you should reread the pages and see what needs to be redone?

As for the mechs, have you actually tried them in the arenas yet?

as a side note, if the shield has that much damage absorbtion ability, I think it is way over balanced. 120 point absorbed?
Fenris_LC
10/22/14 07:36 AM

Hm... how can the Mech move at 5/7 if it mounts a large shield and hardned armor? Would be 4/5 in fact.

Also, in my book, TSM is a must on any hatchet wielding monstrosity :P
10/22/14 02:33 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:
As for the mechs, have you actually tried them in the arenas yet?

as a side note, if the shield has that much damage absorbtion ability, I think it is way over balanced. 120 point absorbed?

Im a over the road truck driver, Its a little hard to play when one only has a couple of days at the house each month. I have far more important things to do with the little time I have at home.

You might want to reread the rules. It can only stop a very limited number of attacks and you have to declare what attack your using the shield for before the to hit roll is rolled. The only attack it automatically defends from is hits to the arm that holds the shield.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
10/22/14 03:51 PM

don't have the rules for shields. Clan invasion was the last one major rules book I got.

I guess I should have directed that question about rereading the rules to bob and the wiki people. Haven't looked over the pages, but with his admission the shields being confusing, would indicate there may be some work to be done.

Only asking if you tried them. You had said you were driving for a living. Not having the distractions when driving is a good thing. Bites when you want to do something when you have an extended layover. Most drivers I knew got stupid and thought the bar scene was the place to be.

But this is moving away from the design.
CrayModerator
10/22/14 06:04 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

Quote:
Cray writes:

I really am surprised that you don't know. This is the first time and I'm willing to bet the last time that I will ever catch you flat footed about some BT rule.

I asked because your shields didn't look much like how I remembered the rules from Tactical Operations.

Quote:
I followed the rules that are here on the wiki. The wiki says that the rules are official but not cannon.

Unfortunately, no, those aren't how canon shields work. This is a case of someone trying to pass of a fan magazine's rules as the real thing. Now that I've cracked open TacOps (p. 290-291)...

Shield tonnages are simply 2, 4, or 6 tons (small / medium / large). Crits are 3/5/7.

Shields have a damage capacity (DC) of 11 / 18 / 25. Each attack that hits a shield reduces the shield's DC by 1. This means a large shield can protect against 25 hits, be they 25 LBX pellets, 25 SRMs, or 25 AC/20 hits.

Shields have a damage absorbance (DA) of 3 / 5 / 7. Each attack that hits a shield reduces the attack's value by that many points.

So a large shield hit by an AC/20 would allow 13 points of damage to reach the 'Mech and reduce its DC by 1. A small shield hit by 11 SRMs or small lasers would allow no damage to pass, but its DC would be reduced to 0 and destroyed.

There's no way to increase or decrease the DC of a shield. It is strictly based on the size of the shield. There is no way to increase or decrease the DA of a shield. It is strictly based on the size of the shield.

Shields have active, passive, and inactive modes. These differ from the rules in the wiki, like everything else about the TacOps shields.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
10/23/14 12:09 AM

Quote:
Cray writes:
I asked because your shields didn't look much like how I remembered the rules from Tactical Operations.

Quote:

Unfortunately, no, those aren't how canon shields work. This is a case of someone trying to pass of a fan magazine's rules as the real thing. Now that I've cracked open TacOps (p. 290-291)...

Then why is the rules that I used here on the wiki have not been edited to be correct? I do not own TacOps and all I have is what is here as such that is what I used.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
10/23/14 06:28 AM

since I haven't used the wiki part of this, I have to ask a stupid question.

Does it say that all information contained in it is canon?
I would assume it would be, but without statement as such, I can see them not stopping all fan fiction input.
And if it does state it, then you need to refer this to the wiki people.
Reiter
10/23/14 02:02 PM

Why I hate rules and things post clan wars, anything that is 75 tons and has wacky mobility like 5/8(7)/5 while sporting 50% more armor than an Atlas in 3025-50 (clan era and the decade past that).....annoys the hell out of me. A few weapon's systems I like such as the snub PPC, but things like XL gyro or XXXXL engine or compact cockpit/radio/cupholder/CD changer/GPS navigation system/steaming music.....just make it so wacky =/ . No offense to the OP, its just me....your mech is just weird by my standards.
CrayModerator
10/23/14 06:04 PM

Quote:

Then why is the rules that I used here on the wiki have not been edited to be correct? I do not own TacOps and all I have is what is here as such that is what I used.

The Sarna wiki is not a CGL product or effort with full-time staff. It an unofficial, fan volunteer effort and the volunteers didn't get to fixing those rules.

Edited by Cray (10/23/14 06:07 PM)
BobTheZombieModerator
10/23/14 08:29 PM

Quote:

That page was added a while back and we editors have been working hard on other areas. It must have slipped past us. I'll see if we can get people on it or if the page should be altogether removed. Sorry about the confusion, and thanks for reporting this.

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

since I haven't used the wiki part of this, I have to ask a stupid question.

Does it say that all information contained in it is canon?
I would assume it would be, but without statement as such, I can see them not stopping all fan fiction input.
And if it does state it, then you need to refer this to the wiki people.

Yes, we only use canon sources unless expressly noted on the page (there are apocryphal and not-canon tags that appear when it isn't canon). The wiki itself is not canon, per se, but we use canon sources.

All fanon was supposed to have been moved to the fanon battletech wiki in 2011.

Like I said above, I'll bring the issue up to the other editors.

Quote:
Cray writes:

The Sarna wiki is not a CGL product or effort with full-time staff. It an unofficial, fan volunteer effort and the volunteers didn't get to fixing those rules.

I'm one of the volunteers. I could be doing anything else with my spare time, and yet I'm here editing. Please let me know if you guys find anything else.
ghostrider
10/24/14 12:13 AM

I agree with you reiter. alot of the newer stuff is just to add numbers to things or make it so complicated that you need this laser to even have a chance to hurt that armor, yet missiles destroy it without problems.

I am waiting for something akin to another game that if the weapons doesn't do mega damage, then it can not hurt the unit. 1 mega point is 1,000 normal points, but it has to be one shot, not combined.

but I would suggest a different thread if we want to continue this subject.
Retry
10/25/14 12:31 AM

It certainly is an odd mech design. But when you get into highly advanced technology, most are.

The large shield in particular is interesting, though I don't know how practical it would be in an arena setting.
CrayModerator
10/25/14 02:06 PM

Quote:
Retry writes:

The large shield in particular is interesting, though I don't know how practical it would be in an arena setting.

In passive mode shields are a fair amount of extra protection while they last. Large shields hinder mobility quite a bit, but gives a great respite when you kick them into active mode.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6670

Contact Admins Sarna.net