Slow Search?

Pages: 1
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/20/14 11:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi everyone,

So one of the big feedback for the survey results was that Search was often slow:
http://www.sarna.net/news/sarna-2014-survey-results/

For the life of me, I can't ever find a slow search result. Most search results seem to respond in less than a second for me.

Does anyone here experience slow searches? Can you give me a sample term and how long it took the page to load?

Thanks!
FrabbyModerator
11/21/14 09:20 AM

Same here, the search function does not seem slow at all to me.
As a guess, perhaps these responses refer to instances where a search results in a very long hit list. These can take some time to load.

When I check recent changes, my settings always are for maximum range, i.e. 7 days & last 5000 edits. Same for my own contributions. These pages do take a few seconds to load but also do load within a very reasonable timeframe. The one thing that really takes some time is when you check recent image uploads for a largish range of images.
BobTheZombieModerator
11/22/14 01:00 PM

Yes, I noticed some strange things about this.

Most things including normal articles, using the searchbar autocomplete feature, and most searches are all fast. Certain pages such as a "diff" page from the Recent Changes (e.g. this one), comparing revisions from the history page (basically the same thing), as well as opening contributions pages, clicking on a redlink, or even clicking the edit button at the top all can take anywhere from 20-30 seconds to even start loading. Keep in mind I have access to relatively fast internet, which means this would be exponentially slower for those with, for example, dial up.

This only occurs when I am not logged in though. When I'm logged in, these pages load just as fast as any other page (i.e. very fast). I'm not sure if logged-in users get a priority over anonymous people speedwise, but it's something to look into.

As for searches, I just cannot remember what it was that I searched for while logged out that took just as long as the aforementioned pages. I'll keep trying things.
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Nic JansmaAdministrator
12/17/14 11:24 AM

Search was updated to use Sphinx. I'll be monitoring it, but it seems to be performing better and giving better results.
-- NicJ
BobTheZombieModerator
12/19/14 06:06 PM

Seems to be much better than the old one; those slow pages before are loading much faster, and the searches have suggestions. Overall, I think it's a huge improvement. Thanks!
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5746

Contact Admins Sarna.net