**TRO:JMInc. 3025** 30-35 Tons

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
KamikazeJohnson
11/26/14 12:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
After a bit of a delay, here come the 30 and 35 ton designs.

**Note**
This thread is best viewed, and replied to, in Threaded mode. Please make generous use of the "Quote" feature, so that everyone can tell which design is being referred to by any given comment. Thanks!!
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
11/26/14 12:18 PM

JMInc. 30A

Mass: 30 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-E-D-A
Production Year: 3025
Cost: 2,023,840 C-Bills
Battle Value: 664

Chassis: Unknown Standard
Power Plant: Unknown 180 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 64.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97.2 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
1 Medium Laser
3 LRM-5s
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Overview:
Despite appearances, the 30A was not conceived as a combat unit at all. The
three separate ammo bins are intended to carry mission-specific ammo, allowing
the 'Mech to use a variety of ammo types to indirectly affect the battle.
While it could be argued (very effectively) that this role could be handled
just as well and much more cheaply by a tank, it is also true that the 'Mech's
better durability and mobility are assets that may make this design worthwhile.

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 51 points 3.00
Engine: Fusion Engine 180 7.00
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 10 0.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT
Gyro: Standard 2.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 80 5.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 6
Center Torso 10 12
Center Torso (rear) 4
L/R Torso 7 10
L/R Torso (rear) 2
L/R Arm 5 7
L/R Leg 7 10

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
LRM-5 LA 2 1 2.00
LRM-5 RT 2 1 2.00
LRM-5 CT 2 1 2.00
@LRM-5 (72) LT - 3 3.00
Free Critical Slots: 37

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 3 Points: 7
6 1 2 1 0 1 0 Structure: 3
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 1

MY BLURB:
This was actually the first design I did for this project. I wanted it as a 25-tonner, but it didn't quite fit.
--Thomas Jefferson
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
11/26/14 01:21 PM

I am not really sure that this mech really needs three LRM launchers.

Are you really that sure that you need to fire off three different types of specialized ammo all in the same round?

I would ditch at least one launcher for more bins of specialized LRM ammo. This mech really could use fractional accounting for half or quarter ton ammo bins to give it even more ammo options.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
11/26/14 03:31 PM

Kj did say it was not really a combat mech.
It does look like an ostscout/firestarter type of mech. Specifically designed for support operations like maybe using smoke rounds to cover advance/retreat formations, then support some infantry operations a little later in the same battle, while possibly using another type of munitions, though not sure how many different ones were available in the time era but were never in the original box set.

Kj also said in the 20-25 thread fractional accounting was NOT going to be used. I agree with this thought for alot of reasons, but I will agree having a small lot of special munitions would be a better use of the mech.

But you could use all three launchers to fire the same special munitions and spread the effects across the battle field to support multiple operations at once. Smoke would be the best example of this.

And the use of quote options? Some of us slow people haven't figured the use of that just yet.

I do like the idea of the three launchers. It would be useful for distracting pilots on where the fire is coming from. If not for the all or nothing concept of the game, you might very well be concerned that you have a bigger threat on the flanks or rear just from having incoming fire from that way.
KamikazeJohnson
11/26/14 05:05 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Kj did say it was not really a combat mech.
It does look like an ostscout/firestarter type of mech. Specifically designed for support operations like maybe using smoke rounds to cover advance/retreat formations, then support some infantry operations a little later in the same battle, while possibly using another type of munitions, though not sure how many different ones were available in the time era but were never in the original box set.

That's the general idea...I don't recall specifically what types of LRMs were available, but I'd imagine at least Smoke rounds and Minefields would be timeless options. Both of those could work well with multiple launchers, i.e. dropping a three-hex smokescreen in a single round.

Quote:
Kj also said in the 20-25 thread fractional accounting was NOT going to be used.

Yep. No Advanced construction options.

Quote:
And the use of quote options? Some of us slow people haven't figured the use of that just yet.

First, view in "Threaded" mode, as opposed to "Flat" mode. On the top right, look fo rthe headings "Previous, Index, Next, Flat (or Threaded if you're in Flat mode). Under those will be a little pen/paper icon...mouse over that to show the Reply/Quote/Quick Reply options, choose "Quote"

Any text between the "quote" and "/quote" tags will be boxed. Try it
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
11/27/14 02:59 AM

I believe the mine rounds are the thunder munitions. I believe the only came out during the clan invasion.
The star league had them, but they were lost tech after the fall, or so the books that came out with them suggested.

Just use the all mighty way the writers do things and have one of your merc units find an abandoned storage area that had them in there.
KamikazeJohnson
11/27/14 04:44 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

I believe the mine rounds are the thunder munitions. I believe the only came out during the clan invasion.
The star league had them, but they were lost tech after the fall, or so the books that came out with them suggested.

Just use the all mighty way the writers do things and have one of your merc units find an abandoned storage area that had them in there.

Even easier to just add into the fluff that it was a Star League era design intebded to carry Narc, or Listen-Kill, or Thunder, etc., and is still being manudactured for that purpose even though many of the intended ammo loads are in short supply.
--Thomas Jefferson
Rotwang
11/28/14 10:27 AM

Even without the special ammo it’s still a useful mech. Fast enough and packs a decent ranged punch for a 3025 era design. There is a definite dearth of good LRM light mechs in 3025 and this one is as good as any. Once the new ammo is available again, I see this design soldier on in a support role for a while yet.
KamikazeJohnson
11/28/14 11:33 AM

Quote:
Rotwang writes:

Even without the special ammo it’s still a useful mech. Fast enough and packs a decent ranged punch for a 3025 era design. There is a definite dearth of good LRM light mechs in 3025 and this one is as good as any. Once the new ammo is available again, I see this design soldier on in a support role for a while yet.

True, it does have a lot going for it in terms of longevity...it's cheap and simple to manufacture (likely to be produced by all the major powers), it's a support unit (edge of battle = low attrition), and as time marches on to 3050 and beyond, new ammo types will improve it nearly as much as the use of rare, expensive high-tech gear.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
11/29/14 12:52 AM

nice background would be a rare find from star league, but it was downgraded to current configuration because of the lack of special ammo. I would suggest having a star league model done up that it came from, and possibly having a next generation one done as well. Keep a good strong fluff story for it.
KamikazeJohnson
11/29/14 01:36 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

nice background would be a rare find from star league, but it was downgraded to current configuration because of the lack of special ammo. I would suggest having a star league model done up that it came from, and possibly having a next generation one done as well. Keep a good strong fluff story for it.

Not really much that can be done with Star League technology to improve this one...the specialized ammo IS the upgrade. Just because it's been manufactured since the Star League Era doesn't mean it used advanced tech...it is, and always has been, a cheap, reliable support unit.
--Thomas Jefferson
Rotwang
11/29/14 05:09 AM

I see two or three potential 3050+ updates, adding FF armour, switching to an ER Medium Laser and swap for an MML.

Maybe the SL version had endo-steel, but I doubt somebody would bother putting in an XL or even a light engine into a support unit that does a decent job as per the standard config.
11/29/14 08:04 AM

I see no point in using FF armor this mech it is meant to be cheep and FF armor is anything but. As a support mech it should not be getting a hole lot of return fire to be needing a FF armor upgrade.

I agree with it not upgrading to XL engine since a lot of mechs cant go faster then 5/8.

As for Endo-Steel I can really see that as possible highly desirable upgrade. Endo-Steel costs next to nothing and it provides a lot of weight savings. You could add another ammo bin and bump up the armor a half ton. Or drop a half ton of armor and add two ammo bins.

Can MML use specialized ammo like mines and smoke? I only remembers three kinds of usable ammo for the MML long range, medium range, and short range. Unless MML can use specialized ammo I dont see the MML as a possible upgrade for this mech for its stated designed mission profile.

I am not sure that the ER Medium Laser would be used. I can see this mech on the bottom of the list of mechs getting a ER Medium Laser upgrade. Other mechs would bee seen as a better choice for the very few ER Medium Laser that are being built.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
11/29/14 03:22 PM

JMInc. 30B

Cost: 2,364,765 C-Bills
Battle Value: 749

Power Plant: Unknown 180 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 64.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97.2 km/h
Jump Capacity: 180 meters
Armament:
1 SRM-6
2 Medium Lasers
1 Small Laser

Overview:
The JMInc. 30B is a thoroughly unsurprising design. The SRM gives it
significant punch in close, the lasers provide staying power, and its speed and
Jump Jets give it the mobility to get into position easily. Mobile,
well-armed, and well-armoured, it's an overall effective presence on the
battlefield.

Engine: Fusion Engine 180 7.00
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 6 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 3 LT, 3 RT 3.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 88 5.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 6
Center Torso 10 12
Center Torso (rear) 4
L/R Torso 7 11
L/R Torso (rear) 2
L/R Arm 5 8
L/R Leg 7 12

SRM-6 LA 4 2 3.00
Medium Laser RT 3 1 1.00
Medium Laser CT 3 1 1.00
Small Laser HD 1 1 0.50
@SRM-6 (15) LA - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 32

BattleForce Statistics
6j 2 2 0 0 1 0 Structure: 3
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

MY BLURB
Kind of the same idea as the Jenner. Great tank-killer, enough firepower to concern most Mediums.
--Thomas Jefferson

Edited by KamikazeJohnson (11/29/14 03:41 PM)
11/29/14 07:14 PM

I would say that I am under impressed with this design. There is nothing that I find unique about this mech. Its just another hum drum light mech like most mechs you find in the 3025 book. Maybe the 30C will be interesting like the 30A was.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (11/29/14 07:44 PM)
KamikazeJohnson
11/29/14 07:40 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I would say that I am under impressed with this design. There is nothing that I find unique about this mech. Its just another hum drum light mech like most mechs you find in the 3025 book. Maybe the 30C will be intrusting like the 30A was.

That's why I'm doing 3 of each design. With 3025 tech there's very little you can do to get "interesting". This is a plain, simple, light combat unit. Nothing more, nothing less.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to "outdo" the classic 3025 'Mechs. I'm simply designing an alternate assortment of 'Mechs. Some if them have to ge boring so that the "standout" design have something to "stand out" from...
--Thomas Jefferson
11/29/14 07:49 PM

I corrected the typo. I did not catch that the auto correcter did not correct it correctly.

I guess some just have to fall through the cracks for others to be seen as truly interesting.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
11/29/14 09:46 PM

For the 30b
Well there is a small typo error in the written part of the equipment. Under jump jets, is says none, but jump range is 180.
It looks to be a reliable mech, if a little uninspired. The srm has decent punch and the laser are reliable.
A little warm when jumping, but nothing that can't be handled by smart weapons usage.

The 30a could have used something like endo steel, then used weight savings for something like a few jets, or ecm. Yes the ecm would raise the price dramatically, but it would provide cover for it when being used as lrm support. Help keep counter fire down.
An advanced probe would be helpful to make sure they were not surprised when moving into a good overwatch position. Even a TAG system would work. But that is not 3025 tech so no worries.
KamikazeJohnson
11/29/14 11:22 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

For the 30b
Well there is a small typo error in the written part of the equipment. Under jump jets, is says none, but jump range is 180.

Odd. That's exactly the way SSW exported the specs. Usually says "unknown" when I don't input a manufacturer. Not sure whyvit woukd say "none".
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
11/30/14 05:20 AM

Just looked over the 20-25 tonners and same thing with those with jets. Too lazy to see if it is like that with older ones posted. Probably something in the program you use.
Did you get an upgrade to it?
Might be a flaw in the program.
Sorry to get off track..

So far the mechs have been usable without the min/max effects.
So far, so good with that.
KamikazeJohnson
11/30/14 06:36 PM

JMInc. 30C

Cost: 2,472,340 C-Bills
Battle Value: 726

Power Plant: Unknown 210 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 75.6 km/h
Maximum Speed: 118.8 km/h
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armament:
2 Medium Lasers
1 SRM-2
2 Machine Guns

Overview:
The JMInc. 30C is conceptually very similar to the 30B, trading the 30B's Jump
capability for increased speed. Less offensive punch than the 30B, but better
armour coverage, with the added benefit of anti-infantry capability. Best used
in a harassing role against Light or Medium 'Mechs, or for strafing enemy
Infantry.

Engine: Fusion Engine 210 9.00
Walking MP: 7
Running MP: 11
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 104 6.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 10 15
Center Torso (rear) 4
L/R Torso 7 10
L/R Torso (rear) 4
L/R Arm 5 10
L/R Leg 7 14

Machine Gun RA 0 1 0.50
Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
SRM-2 LA 2 1 1.00
Machine Gun CT 0 1 0.50
Medium Laser CT 3 1 1.00
@MG (1/2) (100) RT - 1 0.50
@SRM-2 (50) LT - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 38

BattleForce Statistics
7 2 2 0 0 1 0 Structure: 3

MY BLURB:
With the anti-Infantry capability of most weapons being so severely damped by the most recent rules, the TRO: 3025 suffers from a tragic lack of anti-infantry weapons. To account for the new rules, I'll be including MGs on far more design than carried them in the original TRO. So many 'Mechs will be weaker than they could be vs other 'Mechs or Tanks in order to protect themelves against the inevitable swarms of Infantry (which should, according to canon, outnumber 'Mechs on the battlefield by a large margin).
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
12/02/14 10:26 AM

Hmmm...so the 30C is too boring to be worth commenting in? No worries, the 35s are on their way!
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
12/02/14 03:05 PM

I was waiting for someone else to comment. Recently, it seems I am the first one to respond to alot of things.

For the 30c, the speed is nice. I know you aren't going to use half ton lots for ammo other then mg ammo, but still going to suggest it for the srm ammo on this mech.
Small laser could work. Not sure if armor is maxed.
Didn't think about it before now, but some of the close ranged mechs might be worth adding an axe to.

I know canon rtc (regimental combat teams) the federated suns used was something like 1 mech regiment to 3 tank regiments to 5 infantry regiments.
And I believe they said more garrisons are infantry reliant then anything else.

The change of infantry damage really should have changed the entire history of the innersphere. A mech dropped into a horde of infantry, even a clan mech would be devoured quickly, especially laser or srm equipped infantry.

As a side note, I do find the higher speeds of the mechs, unusual.
And I am surprised no one is asking for an urbanmech type unit for this weight.
KamikazeJohnson
12/02/14 03:53 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

I was waiting for someone else to comment. Recently, it seems I am the first one to respond to alot of things.

I know the feeling...I've been on your side of it before. Comes with being the most active person on the boards besides the poster.

Quote:
For the 30c, the speed is nice. I know you aren't going to use half ton lots for ammo other then mg ammo, but still going to suggest it for the srm ammo on this mech.
Small laser could work. Not sure if armor is maxed.

I wish 1/2 ton lots was an option for SRM 2 ammo...although rather than include just 25 rounds, I'd be likely to include 2 separate bins for the standard ton in order to load some Infernos. Armour i maxed for this one, one of my primary requirements in contrast to the other 30-tonners.

Quote:
Didn't think about it before now, but some of the close ranged mechs might be worth adding an axe to.

Not a big fan of the physical weapons in general...my opinion is that they should be an oddity whenever a 'Mech uses one, rather than being a common sight, the way the Hatchetman was unique in TRO:3025.

Quote:
I know canon rtc (regimental combat teams) the federated suns used was something like 1 mech regiment to 3 tank regiments to 5 infantry regiments.
And I believe they said more garrisons are infantry reliant then anything else.

Sounds about right.

Quote:
The change of infantry damage really should have changed the entire history of the innersphere. A mech dropped into a horde of infantry, even a clan mech would be devoured quickly, especially laser or srm equipped infantry.

Leads to my point earlier...if current infantry rules had been in use back to the origins of the game, a lot of the designs would be considerably different. It might even be more in line with canon to use a Squad as a standard Infantry unit, and a Platoon the equivalent of a Lance

Quote:
As a side note, I do find the higher speeds of the mechs, unusual.
And I am surprised no one is asking for an urbanmech type unit for this weight.

In the original TRO:3025, almost all the Light 'Mechs moved 6/9 or faster...exceptions being only the UrbanMech, Valkyrie, and Panther, so I on;t think my speeds are really out of line.
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
12/02/14 04:12 PM

JMInc. 35A

Mass: 35 tons
Cost: 2,461,568 C-Bills
Battle Value: 653

Power Plant: Unknown 175 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armament:
1 Medium Laser
1 LRM-5
1 Autocannon/2
1 Machine Gun

Overview:
35-ton Shadow Hawk anyone?

Internal Structure: Standard 58 points 3.50
Engine: Fusion Engine 175 7.00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL 2.50
Heat Sink Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 80 5.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 6
Center Torso 11 12
Center Torso (rear) 4
L/R Torso 8 10
L/R Torso (rear) 2
L/R Arm 6 7
L/R Leg 8 10

Medium Laser RA 3 1 1.00
Autocannon/2 LA 1 1 6.00
LRM-5 RT 2 1 2.00
Machine Gun CT 0 1 0.50
@LRM-5 (24) RT - 1 1.00
@AC/2 (45) LT - 1 1.00
@MG (1/2) (100) LT - 1 0.50
Free Critical Slots: 34

BattleForce Statistics
5j 1 1 1 0 1 0 Structure: 3

MY BLURB:
Wanted to do something different with this one, figured it was time to break out an Autocannon...
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
12/02/14 09:31 PM

the 35a. It is unusual for the cannon to be on a mech this small.
Said thing is the discussion about the autocannons issues.

Definitely an anti vehicle mission mech. Crit with the cannon. Also nice for sniping.

This would be a nice mech for taking out gun turrets. Hit and run at long range.

I do notice the jump jet typo is fixed. Did you figure it out? What was it?
KamikazeJohnson
12/02/14 09:49 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

the 35a. It is unusual for the cannon to be on a mech this small.
Said thing is the discussion about the autocannons issues.

Definitely an anti vehicle mission mech. Crit with the cannon. Also nice for sniping.

This would be a nice mech for taking out gun turrets. Hit and run at long range.

Very similar in role to the Shadow Hawk, although I can see the added rabfecifvthe AC/2 making it stand out. Effective against lightly-armoured targets in general, such as 20-ton 'Mechs. I could have used a second ML instead of the single MG, but I wanted a bit more of a mix lol.

Quote:
I do notice the jump jet typo is fixed. Did you figure it out? What was it?

No idea...some export the data properly, some have the weird Jump Jet glitch. I do the same thing every time.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
12/03/14 01:03 AM

wonder if it is just for the mechs under 30 tons for the program to come up with the typo.

I will have to ask. What is a rabfecifvthe AC?
"Very similar in role to the Shadow Hawk, although I can see the added rabfecifvthe AC/2 making it stand out."

I dislike the shadow hawk for the lack of a main punch. I know that sounds a little odd. It seems to me like mediums should have something heavier then a 5 damage point weapon.
The 2nd medium laser would probably have people overheating it. But it isn't that bad. Think the mg is better for a mech considered a scout mech. Infantry tend to be in places you want to look closer at, like mech repair depots and ammo caches.
12/03/14 06:13 AM

Well there is no question that you gone unique on this one.

I don't really think the LRM-5 adds all that much to this mech. I would think of more AC/2 ammo and add two more medium lasers instead of the LRM-5 on this one. The two extra tons of AC/2 ammo are for peppering the enemy until it bins of AC/2 ammo are run dry. The two extra medium lasers are for if any faster lights come around it can affectedly defend its self from them.

If my mech LRM-1 weapon design was cannon this would be a perfect mech to use it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
12/03/14 07:17 AM

2 Extra tons of ac 2 ammo? at 45 shots per ton, I would think you would die of hunger before you ran out of ammo.

if you are peppering the enemy, the lrm 5 is worth more then the lasers and mg, but it is always good to have an energy weapon back up.
Yes, they are kinda weak on hits, but they could be used to harrass a second enemy while you are using the ac for a primary target.

Maybe I'm just tired, but pulling the lrm rack and ammo only adds 3 tons back.
2 extra tons of ammo and 2 extra mls sounds like 4 tons to me.
Did you mean 1 extra ton of ammo and 2 more mls?

Still alot of ammo for an ac 2 even with just one extra ton. 90 shots.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 13852

Contact Admins Sarna.net