LRMs and Indirect Fire

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
11/26/14 11:03 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've always been aware of LRM IDF rules, but never used them in a game, partly because I've never fully understood how the whole operation worked. Unfortunately, I found the description in Total Warfare hopelessly brief and uninformative. Could someone fill me in on the process? Thanks!
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
FrabbyModerator
12/01/14 08:18 AM

You have a firing unit, a spotter and a target.
The firing unit does not require a line-of-sight on the target; that's the whole point of indirect fire (though the target must still be in the weapon's firing arc). Which conveniently means the target cannot shoot back at the firing unit.

Besides the usual range and movement modifiers incurred by the firing unit and the target, the to-hit number is further modified by +1 for indirect fire, by the spotter's movement, and by intervening terrain between the spotter and the target (if any).
Keep in mind that partial cover is resolved between the target and the firing unit, and not between the target and the spotter.

Edited by Frabby (12/01/14 08:20 AM)
KamikazeJohnson
12/01/14 10:00 AM

About partial cover, I thought IDF could fire directly over any intervening terrain, (like terrain 2 levels higher), so partial (or full) cover should only be an issue if the target if submerged in water. Or has that changed since 3rd Edition? lol
--Thomas Jefferson
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/01/14 12:38 PM

Quote:
KamikazeJohnson writes:

About partial cover, I thought IDF could fire directly over any intervening terrain, (like terrain 2 levels higher), so partial (or full) cover should only be an issue if the target if submerged in water. Or has that changed since 3rd Edition? lol

I agree terrain should have no affect on the missiles line of flight unless the target is in woods or water.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
12/01/14 05:12 PM

It isn't so much the terrain affecting the missiles in flight as it is to get a good coordinates for it.

I do have issue that it is so easy to use idf with missles verse the use of artillery. I would figure a stationary firing platform would be better then a moble one. Flight time would be the main issue with longer ranges.

But with the missile idf, does the spotting unit need los?
Or just sensor contact?
Sensors are supposed to detect things that aren't in los, and advanced probes are even better.
Ecm might change some of the data as well.
It is implied Tag needs los, and with artillery it is a hex you shoot at, not the moving target.
Does idf Missiles target the unit or the hex?
Does any missiles that miss the target, if individual target or even hex, have a chance to hit anything else in the hex?
Can swarm missiles be used for idf?
And a good one, does the firing target need to be stationary, since there is no mention of the firing units movement modifiers.
KamikazeJohnson
12/01/14 06:12 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

It isn't so much the terrain affecting the missiles in flight as it is to get a good coordinates for it.

I do have issue that it is so easy to use idf with missles verse the use of artillery. I would figure a stationary firing platform would be better then a moble one. Flight time would be the main issue with longer ranges.

But with the missile idf, does the spotting unit need los?
Or just sensor contact?
Sensors are supposed to detect things that aren't in los, and advanced probes are even better.
Ecm might change some of the data as well.
It is implied Tag needs los, and with artillery it is a hex you shoot at, not the moving target.
Does idf Missiles target the unit or the hex?
Does any missiles that miss the target, if individual target or even hex, have a chance to hit anything else in the hex?
Can swarm missiles be used for idf?
And a good one, does the firing target need to be stationary, since there is no mention of the firing units movement modifiers.

As I understand now, thanks to Frabby's clarification, is that IDF works exactly like regular fire, except you use range/terrain modifiers for thecspotter rather than the firing unit, and you use movement modifiers fir bith firing AND spotting unit, with an additional +1 for IDF. So clearly, it's best if the firing unit doesn't move all that much...

AFAIK, indirect fire is incompatible with NARC and Artemis modifiers, and of course with C3.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
12/02/14 06:58 AM

If I know right, artemis and narc missiles can not be used in this fashion at all. Thinking about it, I think they said swarms could not be used.

The tag was in reference to using arrow missiles. The whole system seems to be weird when used like artillery. It would be considered idf missile fire, yet it seems target based, not hex based. So why could they not used the targeting systems in normal lrms and avoid any penalty?

I guess I should start a thread and transfer the questions there.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12707

Contact Admins Sarna.net