Is the Assault Company a thing?

Pages: 1
Black_Cat_F
12/22/14 09:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
My memory partially fails me and, following a transoceanic move, all my source books are in boxes still. I think I remember the SLDF having a formation called an assault company that was 4 standard sized lances (and an assault battalion would contain 4 assault companies).

Given that the all-knowing Google has failed me, can anyone here back me up on this? For my future reference links here on Sarna (or anywhere else) or source book/page numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, gents.

I've worked with every damn mercenary in the Inner Sphere and I swear you're the most annoying.
Black Cat - www.201ststrykers.com
ghostrider
12/23/14 07:02 AM

It is possible they had one with a make up of said units, but most assault companies are standard 3 lances in the unit.
I know davion had one that had 4 lances, that had been used int he novels. The character andrew redburn ran delta company, I believe the davion light guards. But that was an overstrength battalion.

You may want to look into the sdlf black guards. I want to say they had an unusual set up.

I don't know if the wiki on this site has any information on this question.
RockJock
05/21/15 01:48 AM

Several merc units made reference to the 4 lance/4 company square in FM: Mercs. I think it was the Blackstone Highlanders and Storm's Metal Thunder. I do think there were a few other references over the years, but I can't come up with them at the moment.

For the record, I like the square setup better because it is more felxible to mix units with. It becomes easy to mix and match unit types without leftovers.
ghostrider
05/21/15 05:02 PM

Honestly, a lot of merc units could fall into this situation. Most just add to a current unit until the have enough to form a full second company.
Now I am not sure if a reinforced company/battalion would qualify as an assault comany, from just the numbers.
At this time I can't think of the names, but I do know there are more then a few from the older periods of battle tech. Before the clans invaded, I believe the black widow company set up a reinforced unit before moving over to the clan configuration.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/23/15 08:25 AM

I my self use a four lance company.

A light fast flanking attack lance.
A medium lance for my flanks.
A heavy lance.
And an assault lance to protect my center.

But then again I only have a total of sixteen mechs.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
05/23/15 12:58 PM

That is a good example of what I was saying. Alot of units have more then 12 units, not necesarily mechs, but not enough to really try to make a second company.

For some, tanks fill in the roles of mechs, since that is what they have. Now as long as they don't suffer the evil crits, some tanks are very nice to have.
Pay attention to the Stinger mech. Don't worry about that hover tank sneaking in behind. It's only a Saladin.
RockJock
05/31/15 11:30 PM

Another use of the mixed units is something like this.

I have:

16 mechs.
16 vehicles, mixed as 8 Hovers and 8 Tracked.
16 VTOLs
16 Tracked IFV with either BA or organic infantry.

They can be in four "pure" unit type companies, or rearrange as mixed companies. 4 mechs, 4 Tracked or HTs, for VTOLs, and 4 infantry backed IFVs as a mixed company gives you a grab bag, but can also hold against most 12 mech companies.

You can mix a battion, company, or lance of each. You might have heavy mechs and Infantry backed by VTOLs and HTs as scouts or the reverse. Lots of tactical flexibility.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5231

Contact Admins Sarna.net