Is a Clan HAG a good weapon?

Pages: 1
Firestarter
12/29/14 12:36 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm using a HAG 30 on a mech of mine and it only seems to be good for getting criticals.
So other than being an overweighted shorter ranged LRM, does it have any good use other than criticals and anti infantry?
Firestarter
12/29/14 12:37 AM

I take back the range statement. it goes to 24 in LR
CrayModerator
12/30/14 12:25 PM

Quote:
Firestarter writes:

I'm using a HAG 30 on a mech of mine and it only seems to be good for getting criticals.
So other than being an overweighted shorter ranged LRM, does it have any good use other than criticals and anti infantry?

HAGs are kewl weapons, but like a lot of new weapons they are often equaled or matched by older advanced weapons. In the case of Clan weaponry, it is hard to outperform Clan pulse lasers and LRMs.

Ton-for-ton, Clan LRMs deliver a lot of damage and have flexibility missing in the likes HAGs and ATMs. LRMs can be fired indirectly; HAGs (and ATMs) cannot. LRMs can fire different utility munitions (mines, flares, smoke, etc.); HAGs and ATMs cannot. LRMs are somewhat vulnerable to AMSs, unlike HAGs, but the extra firepower per ton of launcher should make up for that.

The disadvantage of Clan LRMs vs HAGs is the kewlness factor. LRMs are intellectual. Rotary-type gauss rifles spraying lots of lead are kewl, and you get to go "RARRRRRR!!!!!" while pulling the trigger.
http://s23.postimg.org/ywahepzpn/cataphract.gif
http://imageserver.moviepilot.com/rambo-...for-old-men.gif
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Firestarter
12/30/14 12:59 PM

Ahh ok so that's how it works. So its almost like a chain gun in a way. I thought it was kinda like an LBXAC so it fired like a bazillion little pieces.

Sooo do you roll for hits like an LRM, or do you roll for each individual slug?
CrayModerator
12/31/14 11:50 AM

Quote:
Firestarter writes:

Sooo do you roll for hits like an LRM, or do you roll for each individual slug?

You roll for damage in 5-point clusters like LRMs.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Firestarter
12/31/14 01:11 PM

Ok I thought so. Thanks again Cray.

(I think he knows everything about battletech...)
TigerShark
01/02/15 03:11 PM

The only advantages of HAGs are its Anti-Aircraft ability and immunity to anti-missile systems. If your opponent has a lot of Aero or happens to have an AMS on every 'Mech, then HAGs are the smart choice. If they don't, just pile a bunch of LRM-20 racks together and skip this thing.
TigerShark
01/02/15 03:20 PM

A good example might be the Dire Wolf D. 3400 BV stock. You could swap out the (2) HAG/40s (80 damage max, 24 average) for (4) LRM-20s with Artemis IV (80 damage max, 32 average). Add an additional Streak 6 rack, additional heat sink, make the MPLs (2) ER Large Lasers and add CASE II.

All of that additional weaponry and capability DROPS its BV by 400. And your damage capacity INCREASES. HAGs are just huge wastes of space on most units.
Akalabeth
02/04/15 03:38 AM

HAGs also have the advantage of doing less heat than an equivalent number of LRMs and having more range. They also don't suffer from ECM like Artemis-IV equipped units do.
TigerShark
02/23/15 02:24 AM

While true, I challenge you to take a 'Mech, swap out its HAGs for LRMs, and see which comes out on top. It's some pretty lopsided results from what I've experienced.

Example:

Stormcrow G (HAG)
Average damage (long) 11
Average damage (med) 12
Average damage (short) 15

Stormcrow G (2 x LRM-15 w/ 4 tons of ammo + 1 DHS)
Average damage (All) 9 + 9
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6382

Contact Admins Sarna.net