Pulse Laser (Small)
Streak SRM 4
Streak SRM 4
CASE
Manufacturer: Inner Sphere
Communications System: Standard
Targeting & Tracking System: Standard
Overview
The Catalyst was designed by Damage, Inc. to be a standard trooper 'Mech, working in a lance of identical machines. Designed for the Second Star League, the Jihad and the subsequent HPG Blackout led to the destruction of the manufacturing facilities that were to produce it.
Capabilities
Despite its era of design, the Catalyst uses virtually no advanced or experimental technology, ostensibly to make the design easier to produce and maintain far from friendly facilities on long-term campaigns. A common 300-rated Standard Fusion Engine provided power, and good speed. Five jump jets augmented its speed with mobility, giving it jump capacity identical to the ancient Jenner--a 'Mech half its size. Armor was maximized--11.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous protected its Endo Steel chassis. Armament was simple and efficient--A standard PPC mounted in the left arm provided long-range firepower, and at close range was backed up by twin Streak SRM-4's with one ton of CASE-protected ammo stored in the right torso. Finally, anti-infantry capabilities came from a Small Pulse Laser mounted in the center torso. Jump Jets were distributed evenly between center and side torsos and legs. Ten Double Heat Sinks meant that there was never any risk of overheat. This 'Mech was praised often by techs who maintained the prototypes, citing it as being incredibly easy to care for and simple to requisition parts for without the hassle of "signing away everything but your firstborn for a few reloads." This 'Mech was meant to be the standard machine of the entire Second Star League until experimental technologies became more widespread.
ghostrider
01/15/15 01:46 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The streak 4's are advanced technology. Don't know when they came out for the innersphere, but even at that time, I can imagine the ammo being rare.

The 60 ton class is hard to come up with something that works well. The speed and jump is decent for the weight, but the weapons feel a little underpowered. The armor seems adequate for the normal weight.
The small pulse laser might be better if it was mg with half ton ammo, but not a big deal.

It looks like it works, so that is the main thing.
CarcerKango
01/15/15 07:59 AM

Thanks Streaks were becoming common around the time of the Clan Invasion I'm pretty sure And there's ammo-efficiency to consider. Sure reloads are hard to find, but you won't need 'em that often. This is like the Dragon--its speed is its selling point and it supplements its weaponry with physical attacks....
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/15/15 10:27 AM

The IS streak SRM-2 came out just before the clan invasion the IS Streak SRM-4 and SRM-6 came out long after the clans attacked
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CarcerKango
01/15/15 10:29 AM

So my fluff doesn't work?
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/15/15 10:33 AM

The mech is dated 3075 which is long after the clans invaded as such the IS Streak SRM-4 is legal
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CarcerKango
01/15/15 10:43 AM

Ok. Does that put it in Second Star League era tho'? Sorry, I don't know my btech history very well :P
ghostrider
01/15/15 12:40 PM

As I said, I am not sure when the 4 pack came out.

If I recall right, the starleague reformed happened just before the treaty of tukyiud (sp?)(comstar won peace for 15 years) was about to end.
So yes, it would be in the right era.

The time line is an issue since people want to have the er stuff on the 3025 mechs. Interesing thing is the double heat sink. It was used in a scenario pack with wolf dragoons hitting Hoff. I am not sure if we can use the name of their opponents since that was part of a law suit.

But that is besides the point.

Honestly this mech feels like a large panther.
CarcerKango
01/15/15 12:44 PM

<Honestly this mech feels like a large panther.>
I take that as a compliment
My main focus here was durability and versatility.
Versatile enough that a lance of 'em could fulfill several roles, simple enough that replacement parts (except for maybe the SRM's) are easy to come by, but durable enough that you won't need to do so often.
CrayModerator
01/15/15 06:26 PM

Quote:
CarcerKango writes:

So my fluff doesn't work?

Your write-up says it is dated to 3075, which is about 18 to 20 years after Streak 4s and Streak 6s were introduced in the Inner Sphere. You're fine about the Streaks.

The Second Star League lasted from c3058 to 3067, when the Inner Sphere gave up on it as just an anti-Clan ploy.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
01/15/15 06:53 PM

So the streak 4 and 6 packs came out around 3055? I didn't see anything with them in the tros around that time.
But that is good to know.

As for the second star league, I believe they organized the attack to destroy the smoke jaguar. Didn't it fall apart after they completed their run?
The only information I have on that time is thru the novels, and they are not canon material.
CrayModerator
01/15/15 08:02 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

So the streak 4 and 6 packs came out around 3055? I didn't see anything with them in the tros around that time.

Well, no, you wouldn't. The progression goes like this:

The Inner Sphere spent the 3030s and 3040s recovering Star League technology via the Helm Memory Core. Tech Manual should have the re-introduction dates for most of that gear. So, the first chance you get to see that technology since TR:2750 is TR:3050, and it's mostly in the form of refits and recovered 'Mech designs.

Meanwhile, TR:3055 shows the first set of really new designs with recovered Star League technology. Many were already in the design phase before the Clans arrived, though others were directly inspired as Clan fighters with available, proven weapons (Star League and 3025-era guns).

From 3050 onward, the Inner Sphere was desperately trying to duplicate Clan technology. It took years to do this, so the first chance to really see Inner Sphere Streak 4s/6s, ER smalls / mediums, UAC 2s/10s/20s, and LB2Xs/5s/20s is TR:3058. The weapons are available for construction before 3058 - check Tech Manual for their exact year of introduction - but the first publication with examples is TR:3058.

Quote:
As for the second star league, I believe they organized the attack to destroy the smoke jaguar. Didn't it fall apart after they completed their run?

The destruction of Smoke Jaguar was done by 3060, but the Star League lasted through 3067 and a couple more First Lords.

Quote:
The only information I have on that time is thru the novels, and they are not canon material.

Novels are canon.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (01/15/15 08:04 PM)
CarcerKango
01/15/15 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5263

Contact Admins Sarna.net