Cockpit: Standard
Armament:
ER Laser (Medium)
LRM 5
Manufacturer: Inner Sphere
Communications System: Standard
Targeting & Tracking System: Standard
Overview
The generically named PatrolMech was designed for militia use on backwater Periphery worlds that lacked the resources or necessity for full-scale BattleMechs.
Capabilities
Taking a hint from Clan-built ProtoMechs, the designers at Damage, Inc. built their ultra-light 'Mech not for speed compared to a light, but speed compared to the conventional forces it was meant to work alongside. Armor, for what it was worth, was maximized at three and a half tons, and a relatively simple GM 75 standard fusion engine was used. Single heat sinks were used, being easier to come by than double-strength versions in the Periphery. A simple, light armament of one ER Medium Laser and one LRM-5 with one ton of ammo was selected, allowing the PatrolMech to participate in a variety of missions, from recon to mine-laying to fire support.
Variants
PatrolMech Refit PRA-15-PR: A low-tech field refit, removes the LRM-5 and replaces it with a Flamer mounted in the right arm, a Machine Gun in each torso location, and half a ton of MG ammo, making this a terrifying anti-infantry weapon. This refit is only used in the Periphery by rogue techs and pirates, as Damage, Inc. would never manufacture a 'Mech so clearly meant to be a terror weapon used against civilians.

(Blurb: I saw Firestarter's ultra-light design and wanted to do my own :P Decided to design it to be good by ProtoMech standard rather than 'Mech standards :P)
CrayModerator
01/20/15 06:20 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Don't see many 15 tonners, and this one manages to look useful. Good work. I like the main weapons combo.

Nitpick: an ER laser is unusual for the tech-starved Periphery.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CarcerKango
01/20/15 06:57 PM

Thanks I figured I'd put in one piece of advance tech just for fun.
ghostrider
01/20/15 08:58 PM

I would think the gyro would be a problem like the erml. The er problem could be solved by using a normal medium laser.
The only mech I can think of that uses a 1 ton gyro is the urbanmech.

Honestly, I am not a fan of mechs under 20 tons. Too fragile.
But used properly, the lrms on this would allow it to be a raider/firesupport. Hopefully the enemy doesn't have fast mechs that could get in range, or fire back.
CarcerKango
01/20/15 09:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Didn't realize that about the gyro XD. Didn't think about that. The laser, I figure, it was put in so customers wouldn't feel like they were getting completely old tech...
ghostrider
01/20/15 09:19 PM

Thinking about the gyro, if you don't mind used, you might be able to find more then a few of them on the Capellen Confederation borders. Not sure if Lioa would recycle them for new ones.
GiovanniBlasini
01/20/15 10:38 PM

As a 5/8 20-tonner, the Hornet uses a 1-ton gyro, too. As I recall, though, gyros are also mass-specific. Post-Jihad, though, the development of the BT1 Chaffee industrial mech pretty much solves this problem.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
CarcerKango
01/20/15 10:58 PM

Ah, that works, then.
ghostrider
01/21/15 01:02 PM

Been a while. But wasn't the hornet something that was specific to the dragoons?

There are gyros out there, just not a like 2-3 tons. Even 4 ton gyros are a little more used in combat mechs. Not sure about industrial mechs.

and ck... old tech isn't really bad tech. It works, and alot of people can work on it. Some of the newer tech needs specialized training to work on. The er laser might actually put off some of the buyers on back worlds due to a lack of people that can work on it.
This is one of the reasons more innersphere units, especially mercs weren't using captured clan tech more then what they were.
CarcerKango
01/21/15 07:10 PM

You guys have convinced me, I'll change it.
CarcerKango
01/21/15 07:10 PM

Aaand it says maximum edit time has expired.
GiovanniBlasini
01/21/15 07:55 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Been a while. But wasn't the hornet something that was specific to the dragoons?

No. Per the wiki here at Sarna, Kallon Industries started remanufacturing the downgraded HNT-151 in 2990, and since the AFFS wasn't terribly interested, sales primarily went to the mercenary market. Once the Dragoons took interest, the AFFS started buying them for March Militias to replace Wasps and Stingers.

Quote:

There are gyros out there, just not a like 2-3 tons. Even 4 ton gyros are a little more used in combat mechs. Not sure about industrial mechs.

Between the Hornet, the UrbanMech, the Chaffee, the Patron, the CattleMaster, the Copper and the Harvester Ant, among others, you should have plenty of sources for 1-ton gyros.

Quote:

and ck... old tech isn't really bad tech. It works, and alot of people can work on it. Some of the newer tech needs specialized training to work on. The er laser might actually put off some of the buyers on back worlds due to a lack of people that can work on it.
This is one of the reasons more innersphere units, especially mercs weren't using captured clan tech more then what they were.

I suspect that may also be as much dependent upon ehwn it came out as anything else, though.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
CarcerKango
01/21/15 10:07 PM

Thanks for the input, makes me feel a bit more certain of this.
ghostrider
01/22/15 12:18 AM

Never heard of the Chaffee, Patron, Cattlemaster, Cooper, or Haverster Ant.
I will assume they came out after the clan invasion. I am also thinking 2 of them are industrial mechs.

Still. It looks like it would work fine. Just have to remember it is lightly armored, so running would be a good thing to learn.
GiovanniBlasini
01/26/15 09:52 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Never heard of the Chaffee, Patron, Cattlemaster, Cooper, or Haverster Ant.
I will assume they came out after the clan invasion. I am also thinking 2 of them are industrial mechs.

All the ones you named are Industrial Mechs, but that shouldn't be an issue for gyros. Also, while they were published after the Clan Invasion books in Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex (or, in the case of the Chaffee, the Revised TRVA), they all, with the exception of the Chaffee, actually predate the fall of the Star League. The Patron, in fact, has a Primitive version from the Age of War.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6399

Contact Admins Sarna.net