Gigantor (200 ton BattleMech)

Pages: 1
ATN082268
02/03/15 03:29 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Gigantor (Dreadnought)

Overview:

The origin of the Super Heavy BattleMech dates back to the final years of the original Star League with Stefan Amaris and the original Matar or Behemoth design. Although the Behemoth design failed, the Word of Blake successfully deployed the Super Heavy Omega design to defend Terra in 3078. In 3090, the Lyran Commonwealth, under the direction of Archon Adam Steiner, started the design of Super Heavy ‘Mechs with the first one being manufactured in 3097 called the Gigantor. Some have speculated that this design was a perfect fit for his defensive strategies against Clans Jade Falcon and Wolf.

The Gigantor is a 200 ton Battlemech that has a Dreadnought classification for being over 100 tons. Most assume since the ‘Mech is so gigantic or enormous that it was named Gigantor although some farfetched rumors say it was named after an ancient Terran cartoon involving a flying robot. The design has incredible durability with its 74.5 tons of Hardened Armor and an Angel ECM suite. Its survivability is further enhanced by its energy only armament with an impressive 7 ER Large Lasers, 14 ER medium Lasers and 6 Flamers. Like other slow units, the Gigantor is meant primarily for defensive roles and needs supporting units to maximize its effectiveness.

Game Notes:

Constructed using the Superheavy ‘Mech construction rules on pages 248-263 from the Battletech Field Manual 3145.

Model: Gigantor
Configuration: Biped Battlemech
Mass: 200 tons
Technology Base: Mixed (Base- Inner Sphere, Clan where noted)
Engine: 400 XL Engine, 26.5 tons (Clan)(1 critical in LT, RT)
Walking MP: 2
Running MP: 2
Jumping MP: 0
Cockpit: 4 tons
Gyro: 8 tons
Internal Structure: Endo Steel, 20 tons (3 critical LA, 3 RA, 1 CT)
Heat Sinks: 30(60) (Clan)(1 Double Heat Sink in LA, RA, 6 in LT, RT)

Armor: 74.5 tons of Hardened Armor (596)
Internal Structure Armor

H: 4 12
CT: 60 80 Front/ 40 Rear
LT/RT: 42 64 Front/ 20 Rear
LA/RA: 33 64
LL/RL: 42 84

Weapons and Equipment:

7 ER Large lasers (Clan)(28 tons)(1 ER Large Laser in LL-R, RL-R, LA, RA, LT, RT, CT)
14 ER Medium Lasers (Clan)(14 tons)(1 ER Medium laser in LL-R, RL-R, LA, RA, 4 in CT, 3 in LT, RT)
6 Flamers (Clan)(3 tons)(1 Flamer in LT-R, RT-R, 2 in LA,RA)
1 Angel ECM (Clan)(2 tons)(Head)

Design has all Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm and Hand Actuators.
CrayModerator
02/03/15 07:18 PM

Actually, this seems like a pretty good defensive unit if used as the fluff suggests.

I might try something other than flamers for those last 3 tons, but otherwise decent.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
02/03/15 08:26 PM

Not fond of the oversized units, but adding to crays suggestion, maybe more electronics might work.
C3 master if not using the Improved ones would be nice. With the slow movement, tag with artillery back up would be a good idea.

An advanced probe would be good as well. It's slow enough that it can't afford to hit a mine, especially an emp.

Swap out a few er's for pulse to help with anti air, but if used in conjunction with anti air units, it wouldn't be needed.

Only other possible issue is infantry, but having other units to deal with them might be better.
CrayModerator
02/03/15 08:35 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Only other possible issue is infantry, but having other units to deal with them might be better.

Only if you take out the flamers.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
02/03/15 11:50 PM

I don't think the flamers are sufficient. Any infantry unit with 2/4/6 or greater range and a non-foot movement system will be able to comfortably stay out of the superheavy mech's flamer range while firing upon the lumbering behemoth. Higher-tech infantry will require higher-tech solutions. Plasma works wonders but probably wouldn't work well on this 'mech. AP gauss rifles would function admirably here though.
ghostrider
02/04/15 12:07 AM

Time line might be an issue. I don't know when the AP gauss came out. And that is an issue with mg's and such as well,. A jump laser platoon should destroy most mechs without much problem, especially if they have cover to use.

And if you remove the flamers for other then flamers for the last 3 tons, would be how to put in more electronics.
But I am sure you are trying to pull my leg.
Retry
02/04/15 12:26 AM

It was first present in 3069, developed by the Jade Falcons.

Jump laser platoons aren't actually that deadly; they simply don't have the firepower to seriously harm anything with light armor or better.

Now, a platoon equipped with Mauser IICs or heavy suppport lasers? Oh yeah...
ATN082268
02/05/15 04:29 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Not fond of the oversized units, but adding to crays suggestion, maybe more electronics might work.
C3 master if not using the Improved ones would be nice. With the slow movement, tag with artillery back up would be a good idea.

An advanced probe would be good as well. It's slow enough that it can't afford to hit a mine, especially an emp.

Swap out a few er's for pulse to help with anti air, but if used in conjunction with anti air units, it wouldn't be needed.

Adding an Active Probe is a good idea. If I was going to go that route, I'd probably remove 1 Flamer from the Left and Right Arms and install an Active Probe in the Center Torso. The remaining 4 Flamers would probably be enough for most Infantry situations. I appreciate everyone's constructive input.
ATN082268
12/18/16 12:13 PM

For those who want to start the New Year *BIG*
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6939

Contact Admins Sarna.net