Medium Laser
Small Laser
Flamer
LRM 5
Manufacturer: Inner Sphere
Communications System: Standard
Targeting & Tracking System: Standard
Overview
Designated for "Fire support, generalist, and recon" duties, the Viceroy was another Succession Wars fighter by Platypus 'Mech Works.
Capabilities
The Viceroy's 150-rated Fusion Engine allowed it to keep up with most lights and a few of the faster mediums. It lacked jump jets; however, it was protected by five and a half tons of standard armor, providing solid protection from return fire. As far as weaponry was concerned, an LRM-5 with one ton of ammo replaced the right hand actuator, and two Medium Lasers were mounted in the center torso. A Small Laser was mounted in the head as backup, and a Flamer in the left arm provided incendiary and anti-infantry capabilities, making this a versatile, effective fighter.
Variants
FSGR-B25: Removes the Flamer and replaces the LRM rack with an SRM-6 with one ton of ammo for better close-range capabilities.
FSGR-C25K: A lesser-seen Kuritan variant. Replaces all weaponry with a Large Laser and a Small Laser. Used for direct fire support.
FSGR-C25K-2: Uses an ER Large Laser scavenged from old SLDF 'Mechs rather than a standard Large Laser. Prone to overheat on occasion.
Retry
02/05/15 09:30 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It's misroled. Most of it's power comes from the two medium lasers, making the Viceroy more of a brawler. A single LRM-5 does not turn a unit fire-support worthy, at least not at 45 tons.
ghostrider
02/05/15 10:10 PM

When I seen fire support, first thing that came to mind was artillery, but then realized it was a mech, so lrms seemed the second thought.

Now I do suggest not using the term fighter when you first start fluff for a unit. I thought it was an aerofighter then looked back at the begining of the stats.

It works.
The lack of jets for a recon mech is unusual, but not a deal breaker. It kinda keeps with the 25 ton mode. The commando being the main 25 ton mech didn't have them either.
It does appear to be a solid militia mech in the primary version. I can see some worlds using the b25 configuration. Mainly the heavy forest, mountainous worlds, though the lack of jets would limit use in the mountains.

Mercs would like the c25k version for the lack of ammo, with the er version being a sniper unit.
CarcerKango
02/05/15 10:41 PM

Um, retry, it's 25 tons not 45.
Thanks for the feedback ghostrider.
Retry
02/05/15 10:42 PM

True.

Still, it'd be a poor payload for a 20 ton fire support mech.
CarcerKango
02/05/15 10:53 PM

Well, the title of its thread is fire support, but if you read the tech readout you'll see that it was also classed for 'generalist' and 'recon duties'...I just wanted to acknowledge the slew of fire-support 'Mechs I've been making lately in the title :P
ghostrider
02/06/15 12:45 AM

without using alot of the advanced tech, you are not going to fit an lrm 20 on a 25 ton mech.
This is pure innersphere tech, not the hybrid tech of the fan fiction stuff from crossroads.

With alot of the newer stuff coming out with the advanced tech, this unit still is a good platform.
But for some reason it does look a little odd. The commando had an srm 4 and 6 pack with a laser back up.
Had to look it up. The 1.5 extra tons of armor, along with the addition of the flamer and small laser is why it looks undergunned.

It is fine the way it is, but one thing that might help is a probe, tag or c3, but that is a large expense, if you are trying to run a budget.
Retry
02/06/15 01:17 AM

For pure (basic) inner sphere tech, this is still an EXTREMELY light payload for any sort of fire support 'mech. It might be acceptable on some really small VTOL or hovercraft, but by 25 tons such a mech should at least two LRM-5s to be at least adequate in the role.

In comparison, the Trebuchet, which also uses pure basic inner sphere technology, has 5/8 movement and 2x LRM-15s. For a 2x C-bill price increase and a 2x larger weight, the Trebuchet provides 6x the launchers. In terms of mass and C-bills, the Trebuchet brings in ~3x the LRM bang for your buck in comparison to the Viceroy. The Trebuchet is one of the lightest base IS fire-support platforms available, and the Viceroy simply cannot fill that role anywhere close to efficiently in it's current loadout. It's LRM makes some sense in the "generalist" role as it allows the Viceroy to be able to at least tap targets that may be far away, or alternatively use smoke ammunition to cover it's movements. It's an adequate combat recon light as well.

The mech is fine the way it is, as a general-purpose light who will likely depend on it's dual lasers to take on armored forces, but it does not make a good fire support platform even while using the excuse of basic IS tech. The Viceroy is no more a fire support mech than a Hornet or a Valkryie.
CrayModerator
02/06/15 05:41 PM

Quote:
Retry writes:

The Trebuchet is one of the lightest base IS fire-support platforms available,

*cough*Valkyrie*cough*Locust1M*cough*Hornet*cough*

That's just sticking to 3025-era options, of course.

Quote:
In comparison, the Trebuchet, which also uses pure basic inner sphere technology, has 5/8 movement and 2x LRM-15s.

Rather than comparing a 50-ton Trebuchet to a 25-ton Viceroy, why not compare the Viceroy to the plethora* of other 20- to 30-ton Inner Sphere fire support 'Mechs?

*Is it weird I always hear the bad guy, El Guapo, of "Three Amigos" in my head when I use the word "plethora"?

Quote:
For a 2x C-bill price increase and a 2x larger weight, the Trebuchet provides 6x the launchers. In terms of mass and C-bills, the Trebuchet brings in ~3x the LRM bang for your buck in comparison to the Viceroy.

Not everyone needs, wants, or is able to double the mass of their 'Mech selection. Sometimes, 25 tons is what you want.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (02/06/15 05:42 PM)
Retry
02/06/15 05:51 PM

Simple. There's an extreme shortage of 3025 IS light firesupport mechs, probably due to the weight of heavier weaponry that is acceptable in the fire support role.. The only three I can think of at the moment are the Locust 1M, the Valkryie, and the Panther.(PPC firesupport instead of LRM.) The Hornet is described in-universe as a recon mech, not a fire-support mech, although it's useful to compare it and the Viceroy togetther.
ghostrider
02/06/15 07:06 PM

Well the original trebuchet is slower, has only 8 shots per launcher, and the 3 medium lasers.

The valkyrie is the only IS mech that might have been considered a fire support mech in the tro. The variants of other mechs were not normal.
The thought of changing out the srm 4 on a jenner and sticking in an lrm 5 launcher just hit me, and really has me wondering how well it would work.. But back to this mech.

There is a few advantages to a lighter mech to give fire support. Shuttles being one of them. The weight carrying capacity would make shuttles of a certain size or larger more likely to be boarded, since a shuttle carrying 25 tons isn't like to be a real threat... haha.

But then you don't compare the trebuchet to a crusader or catapult. Atleast they aren't double the weight of it.
wolf_lord_30
02/07/15 12:04 AM

Fluff supports the LRM 5 as being a decent weapon. The Assassin has an LRM 5 and it states how the LRM rack provides good long range striking power. And the Grasshopper has a piece saying how the LRM 5 allows it to produce a higher rate of fire than most heavy designs. So it could easily be argued that a LRM 5 does work as a fire support weapon. Especially on a 25 ton mech.
Retry
02/07/15 01:27 AM

The LRM 5 is a good weapon, being the lightest launcher missile-per-missile. You need more than one if your mech is going to be a fire support mech.(Unless your mech is an Ultralight, but then what are you going to classify it as?

A single LRM 5 is a utility more than a weapon. Smoke rounds, thunder mine warheads, stuff like that is far more useful in a single LRM 5 than standard warheads. Same goes with the Grasshopper and the Viceroy.
ghostrider
02/07/15 01:47 AM

Sounds like you don't use 3025 light mechs much. Understandable depending on when you started playing. The stinger/wasp along with the locust were the main light mechs when battle tech first came out. The time line of mechs had the panther being one of the first light mechs with decent range. The urban mech had the ac 10, but trying to do anything outside a cover rich area was difficult at best.

An lrm would have been great back then. I want to say the pheonix hawk was the lightest mech with a large laser at that time. Hell, the urbanmech was from city tech if I remember right. I want to say the shadow hawk/griffin were the lightest mechs with lrms at that time.

With that in mind, any fights with light mechs were medium to short range. Granted this mech is set up for after the clans came about, but it was not meant to take down an awesome in 3 shots. It's roll is more taking out other light mechs and vehicles.

And you forget, fire support is only a term. Several mechs without lrms are used as fire support. Technically the awesome is fire support. Physical or even short range is not the ideal position for it to fire from.
CarcerKango
02/07/15 09:03 AM

It's actually meant to be a 3025 'mech, not after the clans...just forgot to change the year tab.
ghostrider
02/07/15 11:35 AM

then there is one issue you will have to change. In 3025, there were no er lasers.
And before you try to add it, case was not avialable either.

Still works for the time.
CarcerKango
02/07/15 12:39 PM

Well the ER was fluffed as being scavenged from SLDF gear that didn't go on the Exodus...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7221

Contact Admins Sarna.net