3 Medium Lasers RT 9 -3 – 3
2 Machine Guns RT(R) 0 – 2 – 1
1 Machine Gun Ammo (200) CT 0 – 1 – 1
1 Machine Gun CT(R) 0 – 1 - .5
3 Medium Lasers LT 9 -3 – 3
2 Machine Guns LT(R) 0 – 2 – 1
6 Machine Guns LA 0 – 6 – 3

Cost 10,750,560 C-Bills

The Urban Assault Mech was designed for Assinine Industries for the taking out of hardened possessions where enemy infantry troops are holding up. Assinine Industries felt the need for such a mech do to the dealing with other bandit kingdoms and the large numbers of infantry troops that they employ.

The mech was not given speed for tactical reasons but to travel from city to city quickly so it can put down resistance from enemy infantry troops. Its normally accompanied with friendly tanks and infantry units than with other battlemechs. Its most commonly attached to a combined arms infantry company as a fifth unit in the command lance.

The six medium lasers have good range within cities where they can hit hardened buildings out of range of most infantry small arms. Even the most reinforced buildings cant take the fire of six medium lasers for a prolonged period. If the enemy infantry units also have armor units the mech can also use its six medium lasers to attack the armored units. The other advantage is that lasers have no ammunition restrictions and can fire indefinitely.

As a back up for the medium lasers the mech has a flamer in the head for setting buildings or rubble ablaze to root out any infantry that might be trying to set up an ambush or to set up a snipping location behind the lines.

For its main job of anti infantry work the mech carries fifteen machine guns. There are five in each arm so the front and sides are well protected. There are an additional two machine guns in each rear side torso and one in the rear center torso. There is no way the mech can be attacked by infantry where the mech is not well protected with anti infantry machine guns that can not be brought to bare.

The one weakness is that the mech carries only one ton of machine gun ammo. If the mech was to need to engage large numbers of enemy infantry troops over a prolonged time the mech would need to disengage combat to go to an ammo dump get reloaded with more machine gun ammunition.

For defense the mech was covered with hardened armor so if the mech did find its self under waves and waves of infantry attack it would take a good long time before the mechs inner structure was exposed to damage.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
02/12/15 03:53 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is one time I will say, one ton of mg ammo may not be enough.
Firing the 12 mgs in the front arc means you have less then 20 rounds of fire. If this was a normal mech, the ammo is pushing being lighter then it should be. Ther rear mgs is a nice, and deadly, touch.
I can see infnatry retreating from a city if they know this unit is around.

One thing that might help spotting infantry is an advance probe.
Thinking about it 6 medium lasers isn't something people can ignore for long.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
02/12/15 09:16 AM

Unless your expecting it to fight a infantry battalion alone I don't think there will be that many infantry troopers left after firing off 200 rounds of machine gun ammo.

Even if it fires all 17 machine guns each round it will take 12 rounds to deplete all of the ammo and by then I cant see that there would be that many enemy infantry troopers left alive that friendly infantry cant mop up on their own.

Even if the mech attacks a hardened building that infantry troopers are hiding inside the mech can render the building into rubble in two rounds firing everything it has and kicking the building. Or if it keeps it to just the lasers at range so the infantry cant return fire the building could be rubble in just over five rounds depending on to hit rolls.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Miraxis
02/12/15 09:25 AM

I like the idea and the execution. Great firepower for it's intended use and not to shabby if it gets pressed into fighting armored units.

two things I see. One the lack of jump capability could be a problem in city fighting. And two is the cost. 10 million c-bills for a 60 ton infantry hunter is a lot.

Makes me want to tackle the problem and see what I can come up with.
CarcerKango
02/12/15 09:32 AM

That's a nasty build!
ghostrider
02/12/15 10:48 AM

First minor issue is when you fire the mgs, you 1. Don't always hit your target. 2. Are talking about using the mgs to help take down buildings with them. 3. Will probably face other units besides infantry.

When firing into a hardened building, infantry used to take no damage until the building drops. I don't think that has been changed. I know the flamer will help resolve this, but doesn't nullify it.

Granted You should not be alone while trying to tackle a city. But there are times during raids and such that you will not have the backup units you may need. If you are using an entirely mech unit, it is very likely you will not have artillery and such.

Yeah the price is kinda high, but compared to using mechs like an awesome or energy based units, this is probably cheaper to use, since you are less likely to take alot of damage from not being able to kill the infantry quick enough.

And I hear alot about having infantry to fight infantry, yet alot of times units don't have infantry with them. Not assigned? Possible,. No funds to buy them? Possible. No transport room for them? Possible. There is a slew of reasons you may not have them. One bad situation would be the infantry carrier was taken out by fighters. You are not going to abort a mission because you lost them. After a couple of aborted missions you would lose your commission or not be hired again.

With this being said, I said it MAY not be enough.
CarcerKango
02/12/15 12:04 PM

If it's a city fighter, on second thought, I'd drop the eng to a Standard and bump it down to 4/6...still gets around well enough and becomes more survivable.
02/12/15 11:06 PM

Quote:
CarcerKango writes:

If it's a city fighter, on second thought, I'd drop the eng to a Standard and bump it down to 4/6...still gets around well enough and becomes more survivable.

It would be 4/5 since it uses hardened armor. I thought of that and found that I would loose a lot of fire power do to the increased engine weight. I also considered using a 240 light engine and rejected that too.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
02/13/15 01:12 AM

Very impressive urban mech. Acceptable anti-armor firepower in the form of 6 medium lasers, more armor protection than the average Assault 'Mech. More MGs are present than you could possibly use against convetional infantry squadrons, though the point-blank firepower will give armored targets a headache as well. The rear MGs is a nice touch, allows you to devastate infantry behind you in an ambush situation. If it runs out of MG ammo, it's not entirely helpless against infantry either thanks to a head-mounted flamer. It's speed suprised me, didn't expect to see it on a Mech at this size and armor capacity. Overall, a very effective low-tech PBI murderer.
02/13/15 10:40 AM

I would not call it low tech with all of the advanced tech that I used.

The idea behind the mech is entirely for offense and not defense. A world could have literally hundreds of thousands of low skilled badly armed PBI in its defense of its cities where an attacker is limited to what infantry that can be packed into a drop ship. I saw the need of an equalizer.

An attacker would send in scouts to find the heavily defended hard points and call in the A.I. Urban Assault Mech to take it out. Then the mech would either go to the next heavily defended hard point or head to a staging point to be reloaded with ammo and have repairs done to its armor.

Everything about this mech is about the offense roll of taking of a city from infantry troops in hardened bunkers or to wipe out human infantry wave attacks.

It has good movement to get from one battle to the next.

Can use precise attacks on spastic targets within a city doing little collateral damage unlike artillery or aircraft bombardments

Heavy armor to take massive amounts of damage from large waves of infantry attacks.

Large numbers of machine guns to wipe out hundreds of exposed infantry troops in short order.

A flamer to set lighter buildings on fire to wipe out infantry troops that are using it for cover.

Good number of medium lasers to destroy hardened bunkers that infantry troops can use to defend tactical or strategic points within a city.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
02/20/15 04:19 AM

I tried to do an upgrade from the light side of heavy class to the heavy end of heavy class. What I got from the extra ten tons was 16 more points of hardened armor, an extra machine gun in each arm, and an extra quarter ton of ammo for the machine guns.

I would had split the MG ammo into two .625 ton bins one in each leg. The legs are well armored even more so with the hardened armor. And if there was a chance of an armor breach in one leg that legs ammo bin could be dumped and then the mech could just draw ammo from the other leg.

I found that the great increase in cost was not worth the very little that would have been gained.

I might still split the machine gun ammo into two bins and move them into the legs.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5931

Contact Admins Sarna.net