Armament:
ER Laser (Small)
Heavy Laser (Large)
LRM 20
Manufacturer: Clan
Communications System: Standard
Targeting & Tracking System: Standard
Overview
The Ice Talon was a BattleMech produced by Clan Snow Raven for trade to other Clans or Merc units.
Capabilities
A 210-rated Standard Fusion Engine kept the 35-ton Ice Talon relatively cheap, and gave it speeds equal to the Kit Fox or Inner Sphere Wolfhound, while staying highly survivable. An Endo-Steel chassis and Ferro-Fibrous armor saved weight, in order to install an LRM-20 with two tons of ammo (which replaced the hand actuator of the right arm), a Heavy Large Laser (mounted in the left torso), and an ER Small Laser (mounted in the left arm on the back of the hand). Ten Double Heat Sinks meant that Mechwarriors had to be prudent about when to bring the main gun into play.
Variants
Ice Talon 2: Removes the ER Small Laser, Heavy Large Laser, and the LRM-20, replacing them with an ER PPC and an LRM-15 with two tons of ammo, allowing for sniping capabilities.
wolf_lord_30
02/14/15 12:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is why I hate clan mechs. They get better equipment than the inner sphere, such as both Ferro-fibrous armor and Endo steel and still have room for nasty weapons. Yet, somehow, they are still fun to play despite the fact they are blatant cheaters of the rules. And the LRMs with no minimum range them a good close quarters punch as well. Who cares if they can't use physical attacks. I like the variant 2 a little better. Has better range and still hits real hard. And the heat sinks should cover most of the heat build up.
Karagin
02/14/15 10:27 PM

How do Clan mechs cheat the rules?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
wolf_lord_30
02/14/15 11:14 PM

You've been playing long enough to know. All of their equipment is better than the IS. So therefore, they cheat. Don't you ever get tired of their er ppcs blowing holes in your armor or their lrns with no minimum range, all their mechs come equipped with CASE. So I was just commenting on their nasty ability, of course I wasn't being literal that they really cheat.
ghostrider
02/14/15 11:28 PM

Technically, they are not cheating, though the developers seemed to want to give alot of the 'elite' innersphere units an asskicking.

If played right, the minimum range isn't a factor for the clans. They will stand off at extreme ranges and pick off the numarically superior innersphere units.
I do agree that the advantages were a little much when they first came out, but if you follow the time line, the star league equpment was supposed to lessen that gap. The double heat sink that requires 2 spaces was a big advantage, though alot would say it wasn't that big of an advantage. The ability to fit and use 4 lrms 20's on an archer sized unit or smaller is more then nasty.

but now back to the mech thread.
Retry
02/15/15 01:35 AM

The second variant is so much better than the first that it's silly. But I guess that's just superoptimized clan standard weapons for ya.

The I.S. has some technologies themselves that the clans can't(Or at least generally won't) use. While the clans have an advantage in electronics compactness, the I.S. wins in top-end electronics effectiveness until the Society's Nova CEWS pops up, which I doubt clans would utilize. By electronics, I refer to a variety of equipment like the Angel ECM Suite, the Bloodhound Active Probe, numerous versions of C3, and stealth technologies.

Most of their weapons are outclassed, but they do have a few where the clans don't actually have equivalents. The Extended LRMs come to mind with their massive, unrivaled range brackets, as do I.S. multipurpose vehicle-grade plasma cannons. While their LRM does have a limited range, the I.S. does have the MML which can fire both LRMs and SRMs from the same launcher, which greatly helps to overcome this disadvantage. The ELRMs, for example, can be combined with an arm-mounted AES for an accuracy edge, with C3 thrown in for good measure. Just add a C3 spotter and you can hit from virtually anywhere on a map.

Unfortunately, technologies that do rival the Clans are often not focused on or exploited to any extent whatsoever, so those potential advantages remain, for the large part, untapped. (Especially when it comes to stealth armors.)
Maurer
02/15/15 05:05 AM

The clans were designed for the min/maxer, it's just ridiculous and stupidly unbalanced regardless of what every technology the IS may have an advantage in one area over the clans. Those ELRMS may have more range but are stupidly heavy. Clan pulse lasers do more damage...and twice the range then the Inner Sphere variant is not balanced. Clan CASE is a freebee, endosteel, ferro-fiberous armor, etc. The list goes on. The only weapons that are balanced are ballistic weapons, but the IS originally only got the Ultra-5 and LB-10X in the begining.

The only thing the Inner Sphere has over the clans was Logistics, but that wouldn't really matter much when 2-3 IS mechs are lost for every Clan Omni mech downed, which can be repaired and back in the field rather quickly.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
Retry
02/15/15 02:28 PM

For the most part, the clans were untouched by devastation at such a scale as the Succession Wars in the inner sphere. Only after ~3025 did technology level stop dropping enough that actual development could commence. The clan invasion began in 3050 or so, and by then the clans had developed into a warrior-based society with ~300 years of weapons development and technology versus the ~50 years for the Inner Sphere.

You say the ballistic weapons are balanced, I say the Autocannon got shafted once again.

The Inner Sphere had a massive advantage in population and numbers, plus a huge amount of territory to aquire, so I don't see a feasible way that the Clans would have actually won. The Clan Invasion of the inner sphere is roughly comparable to Germany's Operation Barbossa during WWII.
Maurer
02/15/15 08:50 PM

Quote:
You say the ballistic weapons are balanced, I say the Autocannon got shafted once again.

I was referring to IS autocannons vs Clan autocannons. They are fairly balanced within themselves as while the clans ACs are lighter, more compact, and have a greater range, they don't really do more damage per say. The clans have better options initially having access to ultra 10s and 20s. But that extra damage comes in the form of faster ammo expenditure and more heat. Compared to energy weapons which mostly get the whole package and then I do agree with your statement of autocannons got shafted.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
ghostrider
02/15/15 10:05 PM

The clans were working on the fact, they really didn't have to defend much, while being able to strike where they wanted. Eventually, they would have taken down offensive units leaving just the defensive ones. The fact they did not really engage with their warships should show you they were not concerned about counter attacks. Had their been many successful ones, I am sure they would have started blasting dropships without pause.
And even without using the warships for war, they were very effective for protecting supplies like munitions while in transport.

Commanders love a CIC that cant be touched. How about using a potemkin with half the dropships being military ones, like titans or vengence ships and the rest could be mammoth or behemoths.25 dropships is a real nasty force to fight.

And I agree with the autocannons not being upgraded enough to keep up with alot of other weapons. They are low heat, but run out of munitions as well as being heavier then needed.

And again, I suggest another thread for this conversation.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5486

Contact Admins Sarna.net