AC/10
Flamer (Vehicle)
Flamer (Vehicle)
Flamer (Vehicle)
Manufacturer: Inner Sphere
Communications System: Standard
Targeting & Tracking System: Standard
Overview
The Ranger was one of Platypus 'Mech Works' first designs, produced just before the rise of the Star League, back when PMW was still, in fact, Platypus Vehicle Foundry.
Capabilities
A cheap 180 ICE engine meant that the Ranger Type I had above-average speed for a mainline tank, while remaining cheap and easy to repair. Six and a half tons of armor provided decent protection from enemy fire, and a turret was mounted for a 360-degree arc of fire. An AC/10 was mounted as the main gun in the turret with two tons of ammo, along with one Vehicle Flamer to ward off infantry attacks, and two more Vehicle Flamers were mounted on the front of the hull. The flamethrowers all were fed from a one-ton ammo bin.
Deployment
The Ranger was usually used as a front-line battle tank, where, while it carried less armor and about the same weaponry as heavier tanks, it was significantly faster than competitors, using its (relative) speed to hit-and-run with ease, frying infantry and blasting open armor with impunity. It was also often pressed into a forward-recon role, using its flamethrowers to blaze a path for slower tanks through woods and rough terrain.
During peacetime, its flamer ammo bays were sometimes converted to carry water or fire-retardant foam, so a garrison or militia Ranger could find itself pressed into service as a firefighting vehicle while stationed in urban areas.
Variants
Ranger Type II Medium Battle Tank (Upgraded): Upgrades engine to a Fusion version for the same movement profile, and adds an SRM-4 and additional Vehicle Flamer to the turret. One ton of SRM ammo is provided. Unfortunately, by the Succession Wars, most of these were downgraded back to the Type I so that their Fusion Engine could be used elsewhere, especially in 'Mechs.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
02/20/15 11:20 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In the type two I would have replaced the AC-10 with either a Large Laser or a PPC.

With the removal of the flamers ammo since the tank now has a fusion engine and the AC-10 and its ammo that would have added 8 tons to play with on top of a PPC.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CarcerKango
02/20/15 11:47 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Yeah, I would've too but REMLAB adds negative heat sinks for some reason if you mount energies on a fusion...>(
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3524

Contact Admins Sarna.net