Medium Laser LT – 3 – 1 – 1
LRM-5 ammo (24) LT - * - 1 – 1
Machine Gun Head - * - 1 - .5
Medium Laser CT(R) – 3 - 1 – 1
Machine Gun Ammo (100) CT - * - 1 - .5
PPC LT – 10 - 3 - 7
6 Medium Laser RT – 18 – 6 - 6

Here is a 3025 upgrade of the Atlas

The LRM-20 and the SRM-6 both where removed and replaced with LRM-5 launchers. It was decided that a signal ton of ammo for the two LRMs was more than enough. Between the two LRM-5 launchers was placed a Large Laser.

Where the AC-20 was a PPC took its place with a bank of six Medium Lasers.

The Medium Lasers in the arms where removed. If the mech was going to make punch attacks it would not be good to have its short range weapons in the arms.

One of the Medium Lasers that where in the center torso facing to the rear was moved to the left torso and facing to the front.

To help with anti infantry work a machine gun was added to the head and a half ton of ammo for the machine gun was placed in the center torso where the medium laser was.

With the far more variety of weapons and less dependency on ammo using weapons it was thought that it would make the Atlas even more affective on the battle field.

One very big problem that a mechwarror could find his self in is with over heating if the pilot did not manage firing his weapons well.

If you could not guess that I was board, I was and wanted to do something. So here is what I did.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
02/28/15 12:56 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So what all would prompt this reworking? It covers things well, but what would cause it?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
02/28/15 12:59 PM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

So what all would prompt this reworking? It covers things well, but what would cause it?

I explained that, I was board.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
02/28/15 02:26 PM

Maybe the running out of ammo at critical times might cause a rework.
Lack of long range weapons when lrms run out.
As much as I like the ac 20, it is a pain to use it worth a damn against most units without a good set up.
I can see where an mg is nice since close quarters is the preferred range for an atlas.

Been a few discussion about some of the short comings of the atlas. This lessens them a bit.
wolf_lord_30
02/28/15 02:31 PM

It feels a little underpowered. It is not a bad design, the large laser and 6 medium lasers make it good for a brawl, PPC good for range. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems to lack the punch associated with the Atlas. It might just be one of those designs that looks so so on paper, but on the field will surprise you. If you ever try it out, let me know how it worked for you.
02/28/15 03:53 PM

Other than not having the one location 20 point punch of the AC-20 my design is better than the original Atlas.

The original has five forward firing weapons which the two most powerful are ammo required. When the ammo is all used up the original Atlas is is a very slow moving target.

On my design the two ammo using weapons are secondary weapons that are used to soften up the enemy wail they are still at long range.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
02/28/15 04:22 PM

I'd say it is superior to the standard atlas, although I think it'd be further improved by replacing two of the medium lasers(LT and CT(R)) and the large laser with another PPC.
wolf_lord_30
02/28/15 04:32 PM

I was thinking of the 3050 version. Not the 3025. So that's why I was thinking it was lacking a certain punch. However, I wouldn't say it is superior to the first atlas. Sure it is nice that it has more energy weapons, and that it has more forward facing weapons, but still, that ac20 in your face, when it hits, twice the damage of a PPC and will usually break through armor that has been softened up with its LRM 20. And then the SRM 6 is a good crit seeker after the ac20 and med lasers have done their work. I do like how it isn't ammo dependent though.

Edited by wolf_lord_30 (02/28/15 04:42 PM)
Retry
02/28/15 05:33 PM

The AC/20 is literally a hit-or-miss thing. WHEN it hits it does serious damage to all but the heaviest mechs, but it's not something you want to depend on, especially with such poor range and ammo capacity. In comparison, 6 medium lasers has 6 chances to hit and on average will deal 50% more damage than a single AC/20, without having to worry about ammunition explosions or running out of it. Six MLs are also superior at critseeking than a SRM6 as they don't have to roll on the cluster hits table.
ghostrider
02/28/15 06:09 PM

I can see why wolf thought it was underpowered since the 3050 model has the gauss rifle. Good punch at a great range. Hard to match that without clan tech.
As stated before, I like the dual ppc idea, and can see why donkey went with the laser for in close action, but honestly, the array of medium lasers should more then cover that.
Also heat build up would be an issue moving into closer range, as 2 ppcs would over heat it when even just walking, and that doesn't include using the lrms while you can.

If you have the heat dissipation, I will support retry's statement of the 6 mls. Granted the weight for all involved might disagree with it.
GiovanniBlasini
03/01/15 02:23 AM

I dunno. A PPC, large laser and twin LRM-5s just seems a bit underwhelming. I think I'd rather have the twin larges, AC/10 and LRM-15 of the AS7-RS. Also, the machine gun seems out of place, and increases vulnerability. I think, if you really need an antipersonnel weapon on your Atlas, making it breathe fire with a head-mounted flamer would be more interesting.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
wolf_lord_30
03/01/15 03:09 AM

Besides, everything is a hit or miss, technically. Yes, you can increase your chances of hitting using a lot of one type of weapon, but that many medium last and the large laser and PPC is going to overheat very quickly. It quickly comes down to a preference of playing styles. Do you like the big guns and chances to hit hard and cripple an opponent fast or do you like percentages and increased chances to hit, but do less damage overall. Thankfully for us, there is no right answer. I am glad you made this variant of the Atlas, it will be interesting to try out, but the way I play, I will probably stick with the original or even the AS7-RS, because of the harder hits I feel it can dish out.
03/01/15 09:31 AM

I had never seen why people even liked the original Atlas. I have always seen it as grossly under armed for the most heavily mech built. When you run out of your very limited supply of ammo you have nothing left to defend your self. A Spider has more weapons than an Atlas that used up its ammo supply.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
GiovanniBlasini
03/01/15 10:13 AM

Spiders have two medium lasers.

The 7-D Atlas has four medium lasers (two aft).

Two is not greater than four. Nor is it greater than two.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
ghostrider
03/01/15 02:12 PM

I think because the cannon had the power to basically rip open even an atlas when it hits, was the main reason people like the atlas. It may be the reason the hunchback is pretty popular.
One I thought about it, you could take a large laser armed locust and beat an atlas with it. Staying at long range running full out, the atlas will run out of ammo for the lrms. Granted you have to be semi lucky to avoid being hit by them, but even medium range of them with a +4 from a full run (hopefully) puts that in a good chance to survive. It might take a while, but once the lrms run out, you have the opportunity to potshot all day long.

Now the idea of mounting a flamer in the head and making it shoot out the mouth area is just a great idea for psychological warfare. That would cause a lot of pilots in a bad situation to panic. I like it.
Now if you are really concerned about infantry, they would normally be trying to hit in the rear. It would be hilarious to mount it in the butt.

I think the twin 5 lrms is a better option then a single 10. Granted you need to hit twice for the 10 potential, but this gives you the option to deal with 2 light threats.

And a parting thought on why people liked the atlas. I don't know of anyone that ran completely out of ammo, but even if you did, you did a hell of a lot of damage. Most went down from crits or complete loss of limbs.
03/01/15 02:33 PM

Quote:
GiovanniBlasini writes:

Spiders have two medium lasers.

The 7-D Atlas has four medium lasers (two aft).

Two is not greater than four. Nor is it greater than two.

I thought I remembered that the spider had three medium lasers. I looked it up and I stand corrected it only has two.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
03/01/15 02:41 PM

ghostrider you cant arm a 3025 Locust with a large laser. It does not have the five tons of weight free. What you could do is arm it with three medium lasers and pot shot at long range to the atlas's rear.

I will have to think of the flamer shooting from the mouth. I do agree that would have one heck of a psychological affect to meat bags and mechwarriors alike. As for the firing out of the butt I have done that before.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
03/01/15 06:07 PM

If you have just the large laser and pull 2 tons of armor off, you could get it done, but it isn't a good idea.

Now another way to get the weight involves high tech vs 3025 tech which isn't a good comparison.

I would think that people laughing as the 'rear' firing weapon probably had everyone laughing to hard to allow a quick resolution to that game.

As for the spider, yeah only 2 medium lasers in the 3025 mech, but once you remove the lrm from the equation, it stands a good chance of scoring shots while the atlas misses It is possible, but needs more time and luck.
But that is the weakness of relying on ammunition for the only long ranged weapons on an assault mech.
03/01/15 06:42 PM

Well yeah, you could have a mech running around with armor so thin that a machine gun alone can bring the mech down.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
GiovanniBlasini
03/02/15 06:52 PM

An IntroTech 20-tonner moving 6/9 with a large laser and 4 tons of armor is pretty straightforward, though.
wolf_lord_30
03/02/15 10:46 PM

While we're all comparing ways to take down an atlas with a light mech, let's not forget he's probably not alone in the field.

Edited by wolf_lord_30 (03/02/15 10:48 PM)
08/24/15 10:56 AM

Looking back at this I just realized that I had placed the PPC's crits in the left torso when I meant it to be in the right torso. At this late date I cant correct my original post so I am correcting it via a response to the posting.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Maurer
08/25/15 04:56 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I had never seen why people even liked the original Atlas. I have always seen it as grossly under armed for the most heavily mech built. When you run out of your very limited supply of ammo you have nothing left to defend your self. A Spider has more weapons than an Atlas that used up its ammo supply.

I think in the "3025 era" the Atlas is seen more as a mech that could absorb more damage then most mechs, and hit pretty hard if you got in close range. Other assault mechs could do more damage (Zeus, Awesome, Stalker, Cyclops, the Banshee refit), but typically gave up armor for more weaponry.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
12/16/16 03:19 AM

After being gone for a good part of a year I decided to be a royal pain in the donkey by bringing up my old posts from the morgue and set loss some old post zombies. *Evil braying!!!*

I will see you again in another year or so

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11699

Contact Admins Sarna.net