AC5 ammo LA (40) 2 2
ER PPC LT 3 7
Ultra AC-5 RA 5 9
AC5 ammo RA (40) 2 2
ER PPC RT 3 7
AC-5 Ammo CT (20) 1 1
Medium lasers CT(R) 1 1

Cost 9,452,040 C-Bills

Defiance Industries was looking for another upgrade for the badly designed Banshee. One of the factors was to keep the cost down but its fire power up. The only three upgraded technology that was used was double heat sinks, ER PPCs, and Ultra AC-5s. The engine was down graded to a 285 from the 380. That opened up a lot of weight to double the mechs fire power. The one big flaw in the design was that the AC5 ammo could not be put into case to protect the mech from an ammo explosion. The only way that they could protect the mechs vital parts was to put the ammo as far from the mechs center torso as possible. One thing that they could do was to add a quick drop ejection system to the ammo bins, so if the mech is in danger from ammo explosion the pilot could eject the entire ammo bin.

On the factories proving grounds, in simulated combat, it was found to be a strong fire support mech. How the mech will preform in its role as fire support in real combat is unknown as of yet.

After further evaluation it was decided that the mech just did not work within Assinine Industries battlemech company. The mech, its pilot, and its maintenance crew where hired out as mercenaries to another systems defense forces that Assinine Industries was trying to get a contract signed for raw materials for Assinine Industries versus tank production lines.

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (03/01/15 08:20 AM)
Retry
02/28/15 04:32 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Your sentence got cut off.

Clearly superior to the standard Banshee, but it doesn't really feel like a banshee, where the 380 engine on a 95 tonner was practically a trademark of the mech as a "fast assault". It's impossible to fill the role effectively without a more expensive engine like an XL.
Maurer
03/01/15 01:49 AM

This version doesn't look like it needs to be fast, as it looks like it could fill a fire support role. although I think an an LRM in place of one of the ultra s would up its damage a bit better.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/01/15 08:24 AM

Quote:
Retry writes:

Your sentence got cut off.

Clearly superior to the standard Banshee, but it doesn't really feel like a banshee, where the 380 engine on a 95 tonner was practically a trademark of the mech as a "fast assault". It's impossible to fill the role effectively without a more expensive engine like an XL.

Fixed.

Most of the improved designs of the Banshee had the engine down graded to the 285. The standard 380 is just out right to heavy. If you want a faster mech make a lighter mech.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
03/01/15 08:34 AM

Quote:
Maurer writes:

This version doesn't look like it needs to be fast, as it looks like it could fill a fire support role. although I think an an LRM in place of one of the ultra s would up its damage a bit better.

Its designed as a defensive weapon platform. Speed is not as important when your on the defense.

Yes a LRM would up its damage potential slightly but it would greatly increase to operating costs. A ton of Ultra ammo costs 9,000 C-Bills where a ton of LRM ammo costs 30,000 C-Bills.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Maurer
03/02/15 02:33 AM

Quote:
Yes a LRM would up its damage potential slightly but it would greatly increase to operating costs. A ton of Ultra ammo costs 9,000 C-Bills where a ton of LRM ammo costs 30,000 C-Bills.

Honestly, I don't see how the difference of 9,000 or 30K C-Bills matters much, when your already paying 9.4m C-Bills for the machine. The 21,000 C-bill difference could be made up by less armor repair through indirect LRM fire (assuming the Ultra A/C-5 needing direct LOS and taking more return fire). Or the maintenance cost of servicing the Ultra A/C-5 from a jam.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
ATN082268
03/03/15 04:19 AM

Here is my version. It is Clan but keeps the speed of 4/6 with a standard engine.

BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model: Banshee IIC
Tech: Clan / 3055
Config: Biped BattleMech
Rules: Level 2, Custom design

Mass: 95 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: 380 Fusion
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor Type: Ferro-Fibrous

Armament:
1 Large Pulse Laser
1 Ultra AC/5
1 Streak SRM 6
1 LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV

Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Banshee IIC
Mass: 95 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 145 pts Endo Steel 7 5.00
(Endo Steel Loc: 2 LA, 2 RA, 1 LT, 2 RT)
Engine: 380 Fusion 6 41.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 10 Double [20] 0 .00
Gyro: 4 4.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA+H 16 .00
Armor Factor: 288 pts Ferro-Fibrous 7 15.00
(Armor Crit Loc: 2 LA, 2 RA, 1 LT, 2 RT)

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 30 44
Center Torso (Rear): 15
L/R Side Torso: 20 30/30
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 10/10
L/R Arm: 16 30/30
L/R Leg: 20 40/40

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
1 Large Pulse Laser RA 10 2 6.00
1 Ultra AC/5 LA 1 20 4 8.00
(Ammo Locations: 1 LA)
1 Streak SRM 6 RT 4 15 3 4.00
(Ammo Locations: 1 RT)
1 LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV LT 6 18 8 9.00
(Ammo Locations: 3 LT)
TOTALS: 22 62 95.00
Crits & Tons Left: 16 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 11,888,891 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 2,276 (old BV = 1,997)
Cost per BV2: 5,223.59
Weapon Value: 3,786 / 3,324 (Ratio = 1.66 / 1.46)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 37; MRDmg = 27; LRDmg = 15
BattleForce2: MP: 4, Armor/Structure: 7/7
Damage PB/M/L: 7/5/3, Overheat: 0
Class: MA; Point Value: 23
03/03/15 10:38 AM

Quote:
Maurer writes:

Quote:

Honestly, I don't see how the difference of 9,000 or 30K C-Bills matters much, when your already paying 9.4m C-Bills for the machine. The 21,000 C-bill difference could be made up by less armor repair through indirect LRM fire (assuming the Ultra A/C-5 needing direct LOS and taking more return fire). Or the maintenance cost of servicing the Ultra A/C-5 from a jam.

Over decades more than the mech costs to buy.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
03/03/15 12:10 PM

Where costs are a big deal, in the long run, efficiency is what you are looking for.
Because if the mech doesn't work, you are out your purchase price. I can see paying a little more for some ammunition if it means you will survive an encounter.

21k might not seem like a lot, compared to the 9 million for the unit, it could mean the difference between mechs getting maintained and not.
Private companies running mechs for their own purposes will have to keep a very close eye on budget, but a merc unit should have munitions covered by employer.

The first version looks like a ppc armed rifleman, while the second seems undergunned. Yes, it is difficult to get the weapons an assault mech should have with the larger engine in it.
I dislike the ac 5, and the ultra doesn't do much to make it better. I would think using the cannons to add a 3rd ppc or something else would make better use of the weight on the first version. Even a bank of medium lasers or maybe a pair of large lasers with the rest going to what even sinks would fit in the mech. 23 tons is a lot, though not sure about critical space.
The second version is a little more reliant on ammunition then it should be. But being a clan mech, this would fit in with their way of thinking. Range for the lpl is acceptable, but had it been innersphere, it would have been short.
03/03/15 04:11 PM

Mine has 7 crits left over before having to remove actuators in the arms.

I agree with the dislike of the AC-5 and ultra. I would go even farther saying I dislike all auto cannons in the game.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
03/04/15 08:18 PM

So we go from IS tech to Clan to compare things, okay. I like Donkey's, his offers something the one ATN posted doesn't. I guess to me it's more about how the mech will be used then massing things.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
03/04/15 10:27 PM

Yeah, IS-to-clan isn't a fair comparison.
Karagin
03/04/15 11:47 PM

It is fair to a point, but to use it to build something to prove that it can be built faster defeats the point of saying the speed is too slow. Either build the same mech that gives it faster speed or as was suggested build a lighter mech, not go remake it with Clan tech.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Reiter
03/05/15 12:04 PM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

It is fair to a point, but to use it to build something to prove that it can be built faster defeats the point of saying the speed is too slow. Either build the same mech that gives it faster speed or as was suggested build a lighter mech, not go remake it with Clan tech.

All ATN makes is generally clan, which is freaking easy to make. And its just about all he ever makes, lacks imagination. Just ignore his suggestion and move on.
Akalabeth
03/05/15 04:06 PM

Only thing about the design is that I agree it doesn't feel so much like a Banshee. Not because of the speed, but because of the weapon placement. If it's an upgrade, what design is it an upgrade of? The base model? The 3S? You could for example make it a field upgrade of the 3S which upgrades the PPCs and the AC/10 to an LB-10 model or perhaps swaps the AC/10 for 2 UAC/5s and removes some of the other weapons.

When upgrading a design I would try to emulate its previous incarnation in terms of weapon placement, because such an upgrade would be easier and cheaper to produce with less work and design cost. For the banshee that means keeping its heavy weapons in the side torsos.

One of the defining characteristics of the banshee is not only its speed but it's ability to punch its opponents. Keeping the main guns in the torso would help that perception. Torso placement would also be consistent with its intended fire support role.

For example
2 UAC/5 LT
2 ER PPC RT
1 ML Head (forward facing)
Ammo split between LT/CT/RT or wherever

That to me would be more banshee-like though I may have the torsos reversed when compared to the 3S design. Not sure.
12/16/16 03:20 AM

After being gone for a good part of a year I decided to be a royal pain in the donkey by bringing up my old posts from the morgue and set loss some old post zombies. *Evil braying!!!*

I will see you again in another year or so

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8786

Contact Admins Sarna.net