Lance #1

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
03/08/15 10:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a lance created on MegaMek that I would like you guys to pick apart. My faction mates didn't think it was that good due to weaker armor and not any true brawlers in the mix, and as someone said, it could be taken apart by LRM spammers.
I know everyone plays different, and I actually have won a couple of games with it and like the composition of it, but I am curious on your thoughts on it.

Crusader CRD-3R
Catapult CPLT-K2
Dragon DRG-1N
Trebuchet TBT-7K

Total BV after pilot levels: A little over 5400.

Other mechs I can pull from in my hangar with similar BV:
Shadow Hawk SHD-2D
Phoenix Hawk PXH-1
Grasshopper GHR-5H
Catapult CPLT-C1
Longbow LGB-0W
ghostrider
03/09/15 02:28 AM

I would assume they are 3025 era models.
With that, the dragon seems a little out of place because of the speed vs the other mechs in the lance. Granted you can make it work.

The shadow hawk is another one the I don't like that much. Nothing with a good punch, and the 3 jump seems lacking.

As for being taken down by lrm spammers, that is true for any unit not set up the same way.
For stock mechs, they aren't that bad. I'm sure if you really sat down and tried the min/max of everything you could come up with a little better mix, but this comes down to one thing. Do you enjoy playing the units?

Having a little back ground on they way they play and the units would go help understand their thoughts.

It is interesting you have the ppc armed catapult in the main lance. Going with the lrm theory, I would thing the cplt-c1 would be in the primary units. Honestly, I think it is a good idea to use the ppcs to support the lrm units.
CarcerKango
03/09/15 08:53 AM

Get the Grasshopper for sure, very underrated 'Mech with all the LAZZZZZZZZZZOOOORS!
CrayModerator
03/09/15 04:24 PM

Quote:
wolf_lord_30 writes:

I have a lance created on MegaMek that I would like you guys to pick apart. My faction mates didn't think it was that good due to weaker armor and not any true brawlers in the mix, and as someone said, it could be taken apart by LRM spammers.

You've got a fair amount of LRM units yourself. The CRD-3R brings 30 tubes to the table, while the Dragon 1N adds 10 more. Your first lance also has 3 PPCs, which can be a great cure for LRMs. On a similar BV basis, an opponent would need specialty LRM platforms to really spam you to death before you could close and such specialty LRM units - like your Longbow - are vulnerable to anyone getting close.

Getting close brings up brawling. The Catapult K2 might not be a brawler like an Awesome, but it has twin PPCs and as much armor as a Marauder. The Crusader is a brawler. While its weapons are unusual - twin SRM 6s and medium lasers - it has thick armor and a good history in brawls. Your atypical Trebuchet variant is fast and has a PPC (well paired with the Dragon), though it is very thin-skinned for a 50-tonner.

Regarding your second lance:

The Shadow Hawk 2D is a variant I dislike. It has 4.5 tons of armor on a 55-ton frame for the dubious benefit of gaining 2 heat sinks it didn't need, an extra LRM 5, an extra SRM 2, and an extra medium laser. (Which gives it 2 SRMs and 2 medium lasers it should never be using because it has no armor for close quarters combat.) I really like the basic Shadow Hawk chassis, though. It has a jump capacity of 3, which is enough to defeat most terrain obstacles that would challenge non-jumping 'Mechs. At 55 tons, it is fairly durable. Even the undergunned basic version (SHD 2H) would be an improvement over the 2D, while the 2K is a 5/8/3 PPC platform that will never overheat. (Really, it should drop a heat sink for a medium laser or something.)

The PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk would be improved in the 1D form (no MGs, 2 more SHS), but otherwise is a high mobility, reasonably armed 'Mech that can add a lot to a 3025 force if it doesn't try to go toe to toe with heavier, thicker-skinned units.

The Catapult C1 is another 30 LRM tubes, plus 3 medium lasers and 4/6/4 movement that would work great side-by-side with the Crusader or your other 4/6 heavies. It's also a cure for missile spammers, just like the Crusader. Like the Crusader, you'll want to save your LRMs until your target numbers are also - it doesn't carry much ammo.

With a Grasshopper GHR-5H available, you'll got a classic short-range brawler. Its medium lasers add up, it had 13 tons of armor, it can jump, and you have to work hard to overheat it. Definitely a good supplement to your first lance.

The Longbow LGB-0W is an odd duck. Its like an up-sized Archer, but it sheds armor for heat sinks and some supplementary LRM 5s. If you're stuck with it, it can work can its heat sinks allow it to keep up a steadier LRM 20 bombardment. I'd take an Archer 2R or 2K, though, since those gain armor and useful secondary weapons. But if you keep it in the background, the Longbow is a good missile spammer with more endurance than your Crusader and Catapult.

Anyway, is there room for optimization? Sure. But you can make these 'Mechs work if the opponents are given a similar random array.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
wolf_lord_30
03/09/15 04:54 PM

The second lance in the first posting is not an actual lance. It is what I can pull from and either make a new one or change an existing lance. All mechs you buy are from a random pull. So if I purchase a heavy mech, I don't know which heavy I will collect. And as per the rules of the campaign, the highest BV of a mech and the lowest BV have to be within 600 of each other in the same army.

Here is lance #2: Which I won a game in the city, but wasn't pleased with its performance. I put this together before I got a hold of the CRD-3R, and the Dragon doesn't have enough BV to be out in the same lance as the Crockett (not a bad thing imo), but options are limited for me if I want to field the Crockett.
Grasshopper GHR-5H
Catapult CPLT-C1
Longbow LGB-0W
Crockett CRK-5003-1
wolf_lord_30
03/09/15 05:03 PM

I have the Shadow Hawk 2H, not the 2D. Sorry about the typo on my part. I missed it completely.
CrayModerator
03/09/15 07:17 PM

Quote:
wolf_lord_30 writes:

The second lance in the first posting is not an actual lance. It is what I can pull from and either make a new one or change an existing lance. All mechs you buy are from a random pull. So if I purchase a heavy mech, I don't know which heavy I will collect. And as per the rules of the campaign, the highest BV of a mech and the lowest BV have to be within 600 of each other in the same army.

That's actually a pretty cool system for generating 'Mechs for a MegaMek campaign.

Quote:
Here is lance #2: Which I won a game in the city, but wasn't pleased with its performance. I put this together before I got a hold of the CRD-3R, and the Dragon doesn't have enough BV to be out in the same lance as the Crockett (not a bad thing imo), but options are limited for me if I want to field the Crockett.
Grasshopper GHR-5H
Catapult CPLT-C1
Longbow LGB-0W
Crockett CRK-5003-1

Wow, you got high tech on the 5003-1. For a randomly selected lance with BV constraints, that's not bad. The Grasshopper and Crockett give you some tough brawlers and the 5003-1 Crockett is an all-range killing machine against 3025 threats. The Catapult and Longbow give you ranged fire support. Not bad.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
TigerShark
03/11/15 02:01 PM

That's existed in MekWars for 10 years now.

mekwars.org

mekwars-dominion.com
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5546

Contact Admins Sarna.net