Ammo Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
AC/2 Ammo LT 45 1.0
Machine Gun Ammo RT 200 1.0
LRM 5 Ammo LT 24 1.0

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
Hatchet RA 5.0

The RGN-8K Ragnarok was created by in the Rasalhague Republic before they broke away from the Draconis Combine. It is unusual in the fact, that as part of the Draconis Combine, it mounts a hatchet. Seen as barbaric by the samurai of House Kurita, it is shunned by the majority of the DC. It mounts 2 autocannon 2s and a LRM 5 for mediocre long range fire support. For getting close to the enemy, it has 4 machine guns, mounted on the legs to prevent kicking when a hatchet blow will do and also for anti-personnel purposes. 2 medium lasers and a small laser round out its close quarters weaponry. It has 12.5 tons of armor for protection and a maximum speed of 64.9 km/h. Its reliance on ammo consuming weaponry tends to leave it vulnerable to ammo explosions, which smart enemy mechwarriors have learned to exploit. Designed to be an all purpose mech with its long and short range weaponry, the ac2s and LRM 5 are often ignored by the young, brash mechwarriors of the Rasalhague Republic who charge in with only the hatchet in their mind.
ghostrider
03/07/15 03:32 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Curious on the choice of long range weapons. With a hatchet, one would assume it would be a short range power house.
Other then exploding when in close combat, I find it very unusual to have ammo dependent weapons with minimum ranges.

Granted it does seem like a sniping unit. Guess that would make anyone that faces it confused as well.
wolf_lord_30
03/07/15 10:52 AM

I wanted a design that was.....unusual. Something that fit in with the canon units of the same time period. Like how the CRD-3R only has arm and leg mounted weapons. And I didn't want another Axman. I also thought of the Berserker and how it had some long range weaponry, but was its own bodyguard. I just wanted to make a fun unit that makes you wonder what the engineers were thinking when they designed it.

But other than taking on tanks with its ac2 and LRM 5, hoping to get criticals, and maybe light mechs if you arm it with precision ammo, I don't see it as being a great anti mech fighter, except for the chance of head shots with the hatchet.
wolf_lord_30
03/11/15 07:46 PM

Brief battle report of the first battle with the Ragnarok. Played 3 lance vs 3 lance. 1 medium, 1 heavy and 1 assault lance each.

On the turn it first got to shoot, it hit a stalker with the lrm 5, and both ac2s, nothing serious. The next turn it followed up a PPC shot from a warhammer, and 1 LRM 15 from a crusader with its lrm 5 and 1 ac 2, again, nothing serious, but at least he can hit consistently.
The next turn, he turned on the Atlas that was rumbling closer. He followed 2 PPC hits from the warhammer and 1 LRM 15 from the crusader with 2 ac 2 hits. This time, he got one normal hit and 1 lucky critical hit on the almost undamaged center torso and hit the engine once.
Then, he rushed the Atlas. After the Atlas fell from taking 20+ damage from the Warhammer, Crusader, Ragnarok and Highlander. The physical attack phase saw the Ragnarock breach the left leg with a swing from his hatchet at the downed Atlas.
The next turn was his final turn of the game. He moved around to the other side of the Atlas to make it harder to hit him, but it was no use. Despite being almost undamaged, he had taken only 2 medium laser hits and one LRM 10 hit, a Hermes II had positioned himself behind the Ragnarok and hit with its ac5 in the rear right torso and got a lucky critical through the intact armor. It set off the machine gun ammo that had only 8 shots used from it. That blew the Ragnarok sky high, but the pilot ejected and landed safely away from the fighting.
I went on to win the battle losing only the Ragnarok and Highlander. The Vindicator was heavily damaged and so was the Zeus, but everything else was either only moderately to slightly damaged. A couple highlights of the game was when I kicked the head off an awesome from a higher elevation level, and the marauder falling on its damaged side causing an ammo explosion.
TigerShark
03/13/15 07:31 PM

Not sure if the name is appropriate. The "final battle" between the giants and the Einherjar... AC2.... hmmm. Feels like the name for a Super Heavy, 150-tonner.
ghostrider
03/14/15 12:12 AM

150 tonner?
did wolf change the info? This is a 65 ton mech.

Granted, names are not really an issue with battletech, since thor is use as well as zeus. Odin is another one used. We won't get into the chinese gods used either. Why? Because I can't spell any of them.
Akalabeth
03/14/15 01:17 AM

He's sayin that the name doesn't fit the design.

Ragnarok basically means Apocalypse in north mythology. End of the World. Judgement Day. And it's a mech whose main weapons are 2 AC/2s and an LRM-5.

Housecarl might be a more apt designation.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/253/3/6/housecarl_by_aaronmk-d2yf8bi.png
wolf_lord_30
03/14/15 06:16 AM

I have to say I'm inclined to agree with you guys, the name probably needs to be changed. Housecarl isn't bad. If you have any other suggestions for names, I'm all ears.
ghostrider
03/14/15 12:33 PM

believe the name is already used.
Now I believe ragnarok was the name of the rasalhague princes mech, but that isn't important.
Names of new units is a pain anymore. This might be why some companies just use numbers...
wolf_lord_30
03/14/15 01:56 PM

Was the Ragnarok the official name of the mech or just his own personal name for it, like a nickname? I knew I had heard it somewhere before though, it was on MechAssault 2. But I don't get think that counts towards real battletech.
Doesn't really matter because this mech needs a new name.
CrayModerator
03/14/15 02:15 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

believe the name is already used.

That's never a problem in BT, names get reused. See: Scorpion (tank, 'Mech) and Behemoth (tank, 'Mech, DropShip.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
03/14/15 03:29 PM

The only thing I'd avoid is having two different mech designs with the same base name. Sameness of names between unit types doesn't really matter.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6773

Contact Admins Sarna.net