Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle TU 1

Ammo Loc Shots
Silver Bullet Gauss Ammo BD 8

Equipment Loc
Guardian ECM Suite BD

Pod space:35.5 tons(In practice, roughly 34 or 33 tons goes into weapon systems, and 1.5 or 2.5 goes to electronics and stuff.)
----
A:
4x LPPC
20 HS
AECM
2x MG (.5 tons MG ammo)

----
B:
2x PPC
20 HS
GECM
----
C:
2x Plasma Rifle(2 tons ammo)
20 HS
GECM
----
D:
2x Arrow IV(4 tons ammo)
GECM
----
E:
1x Long Tom(4 tons ammo)
GECM
----
F:
2x LGR(2 tons ammo)
2x SRM6(1 ton ammo)
AECM
CASE
----
G:
2x GR(4 tons ammo)
GECM
----
H:
2x LB10-XAC (2 tons ammo)
1x Extended LRM10 (2 tons ammo)
GECM
----
I:
Long Tom Cannon(2 tons ammo)
LRM20(2 tons ammo)
GECM
----
J:
8x ML
24 HS
TargComp
GECM
----
K:
2x Tbolt15(4 tons ammo)
1x LPPC
GECM
----
L:
16x MML3(8 tons ammo)
AECM
CASE
----
M:
15x LRM5(4 tons ammo)
GECM
----
N:
3x Enhanced LRM15(6 tons ammo)
AECM
CASE
----
O:
3x MRM30(3 tons ammo)
AECM
CASE
----
P:
2x Extended LRM15(4 tons ammo)
2x Heavy Flamer(2 tons ammo)
AECM
CASE
----
Q:
2x RAC5 (6 tons ammo)
2x Vehicle Flamer(1 ton ammo)
AECM
CASE
----
R:
2x UAC20 (4 tons ammo)
GECM
----
S:
2x LB20XAC (4 tons ammo)
1x MG(.5 tons ammo)
AECM
CASE
Karagin
03/20/15 07:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Why the Silver Bullet ammo? Did they change the rules for this one?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
03/20/15 08:10 PM

Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles use Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle ammunition.
Karagin
03/20/15 11:12 PM

I know that part Retry, what I am asking is did they change HOW the ammo worked? It was original made to give the Gauss rifle an ammo type to kill Elementals in their armor, so have the rules changed on how the ammo works? The only change originally was the ammo not the Gauss Rifle itself, so again have the PTB changed the whole thing or are you just trying to use it vs going with an LB-X or RAC system?
Karagin

Retry
03/21/15 12:22 AM

I'm just going to do a copy-paste here...
----
R&D Start Date: 3050 (Federated Commonwealth)
Prototype design and Production: 3051 (Federated Commonwealth)
The NAIS, hoping to combine the cluster effect of the LB-X class autocannon with the heavy punch, low-heat, and substantial range of Gauss rifle, initially attempted to develop a Gauss Rifle capable of delivering alternative "splintering" slug types. Unfortunately, the project was too starved for funds to develop consistently effective flexible ammo-feed mechanisms for the standard Gauss Rifle. Nor were efforts ever completed to adapt pre-fragmented rounds to a conventional Gauss Rifle’s barrel or ammo feed. But while this approach met the solicitation requirements to duplicate the LB-X class cluster munitions, the over-specialized Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle and its ammunition proved unattractive to the AFFC, and the project was scrapped.

Game Rules
Rules Level: Experimental
Available To: BM, IM, CV, SV, AF, CF, SC, JS, DS, SS, WS, MS
Tech Base (ratings): Inner Sphere (D/X-X-F)
Game Rules
The Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle operates under the same rules as an LB-X Autocannon using cluster munitions (using the 15 column of the Cluster Hits Table), including the ability to be used as a flak weapon (see p. 114, TW) and the inability to make use of a targeting computer. Unlike LB-X Autocannons, Silver Bullet Gauss rifles may not fire solid slug rounds.
Critical hits to a Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle result in a 20-point internal explosion in the same manner as an exploding standard Gauss Rifle (see p. 135, TW), while hits to the Silver Bullet’s ammunition bins simply render the affected bins useless.
The Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle may be mounted in any available unit in accordance with its standard rules for mounting weapons. The Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle does not count toward the tonnage and size of any targeting computer the unit may install.
Karagin
03/21/15 10:48 AM

Okay makes more sense.
Karagin

CarcerKango
03/21/15 07:43 PM

I like the F config
CrayModerator
03/21/15 08:41 PM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

I know that part Retry, what I am asking is did they change HOW the ammo worked? It was original made to give the Gauss rifle an ammo type to kill Elementals in their armor, so have the rules changed on how the ammo works? The only change originally was the ammo not the Gauss Rifle itself, so again have the PTB changed the whole thing or are you just trying to use it vs going with an LB-X or RAC system?

Refer to "Unbound" p. 71. The Silver Bullet Gauss rifle was always a separate weapon.

"This project is a variant on the Gauss rifle that projects a burst of shrapnel... Like normal Gauss rifles, the SB Gauss will explode if hit, but SB ammo will also explode if hit..."

I actually tried to get that changed when TacOps was written so that regular Gauss rifles could use special Silver Bullet ammo. However, the decision was to keep the Silver Bullet Gauss rifle as a separate weapon.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (03/21/15 08:45 PM)
Retry
03/22/15 12:14 AM

I originally intended the Superpartisan Omnitank to be primarily an advanced anti-aircraft platform, which explains the stealth armor and silver bullet gauss rifles. The sheer amount of space and tonnage for the omnipods, along with it's speed and integral armor protection, made it come out a bit better than I expected, and some of the configurations pull off the MBT role well. I'd take these up against clan equivalents like the Morrigu.
Karagin
03/22/15 01:13 PM

Digging through the plethora of rules I found where things where, yeah many of the players I have talked to over the years always felt the Gauss should get the SB ammo in the same manner as the LBX has cluster and you lose out on the number of shots vs cost kind of thing.
Karagin

ghostrider
03/22/15 01:17 PM

I can see why they wanted to keep it a separate weapon.
Why would you use a normal lbx cannon when you could use a gauss rifle that also has cluster munitions?
The range and punch can't be beat. At less then range, the ac 20 is the only one that does more damage, and the ac 2 being the only one with greater range.
Also space craft would be scrambling to use the weapon as you are talking longer then lrm range weapon that would be almost a guarantee crit if it hits. Minimum 5 shots to see where they hit from just hitting.
If it could use either ammunition, it would fall under the rac 10/20 issue. Just too powerful.

I do have a question about the E and I variants. Is it a typo that the I variant has an lrm 20 with 2 tons of ammo for the cost of 2 tons of ammo for the long tom? Was it dropped to a sniper?

Also, did you think of making an srm variant?
I see an lrm one as well as an mml one.
I would also think a lpl version would be in the list.
Still the variants would make it an extremely difficult tank to fight. Not knowing which configuration you face would definitely give you a heart attack.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5791

Contact Admins Sarna.net