jump jets

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
03/18/15 11:05 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Just a little something I found odd as I was reading the design rules in the battletech master rules. Jump jets are not stated as having to maintain any sort of balance. They can be placed in the legs and/or torsos. Nothing about trying to even them out.

Now I don't know why you wouldn't even them out, but I guess instead you could have, say, 5 jump jets on the right torso. It is just a weird observation I found, that's all.

All the mechs in the record sheets have jump jets evenly spaced out at least. They must've felt it wasn't necessary to put that in writing. Maybe the catalyst version clarifies that? The MegaMek lab allows you to put jump jets in one location and pass validation though, and I know they try to follow catalyst's rules pretty well.
ghostrider
03/19/15 12:24 AM

Interesting. The compendium and master rules don't have anything about trying to balance the jets in it. I don't know where my other books are to see if it was even in the original boxed set.
Might have been just the players doing it, but I thought there was something about stabilizing a mech by having jets spread out to balance it.

It would be interesting to see there is no such thing. Kinda like crits for endosteel and ferrous fiber. You can have them all in one location, which sounds stupid in my opinion.

If anyone has access to the new stuff, please put up weither they have the jets set up for balance or anywhere in torso/legs.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/19/15 08:45 AM

Its more a thing of people doing it on their own. I always try to balance the weight my mechs jumping or not.

As for endo-steal and ferrous-fiber crits I just leave crits available where ever. It has to do with how many there are and as such that it would get in the way to much of placing other things where I want them.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
03/19/15 06:16 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

If anyone has access to the new stuff, please put up weither they have the jets set up for balance or anywhere in torso/legs.

Jump jets don't require balancing. Per p. 51 Tech Manual, jump jets are restricted to torsos and legs, and you can't mix jump jet types (e.g., standard and improved).

They are thrust vectoring, so mounting them all in one leg or one torso isn't necessarily implausible from an engineering stand point. Just challenging in the sense of, "It's challenging to avoid the wrath of the engineers that have to make it work."
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/19/15 08:45 PM

Cray writes:

Quote:
Just challenging in the sense of, "It's challenging to avoid the wrath of the engineers that have to make it work."

Oh as if they like a boring day in the office. They might gripe and complain but in reality they love having to re-engineer the entire job from scratch and have to have it on the bosses desk before they go to lunch.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
wolf_lord_30
03/19/15 10:58 PM

As long as you're in the inner sphere you might have some leeway to complain, but just try complaining to the warrior caste in the clans. Might not go over so well.
Retry
03/19/15 11:11 PM

I don't know, it'd be difficult to fly an aircraft whose only engine is attached to the edge of a wing. I'd imagine it would be similarly difficult to do something similar with jump jets.
ghostrider
03/20/15 02:09 AM

What was that saying? Life is cheap in the battletech universe?
I could have sworn I heard someone volenteer to build a bridge in the battle going on over the hill.

Guess front line combat changes the outlook of an angry engineer to one that says yes sir with vigor.

And the term, I just design it, I don't have to make it work comes to mind.
Retry
03/20/15 11:08 PM

Nazi Germany design style?

Making beautiful super expensive superweapon lawn ornaments since 1939. (But no later than 1945)

Edited by Retry (03/20/15 11:08 PM)
TigerShark
03/23/15 01:00 PM

Quote:
Retry writes:

Nazi Germany design style?

Making beautiful super expensive superweapon lawn ornaments since 1939. (But no later than 1945)

? The Elephant did well in combat, as did the Porsche Tiger, King Tiger, Tirpitz/Bismarck (ships), etc.

The few "crazy" weapons, like the super-massive tank, never left the drawing board.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5583

Contact Admins Sarna.net