Frontpage news section

Pages: 1
FrabbyModerator
03/15/15 10:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Currently, the News section on the wiki front page is divided between a News and a Minor News section.
I've developed a mild dislike for this division for two reasons:
1) it seems to belittle the "minor" news;
2) it makes the "real" news section seem very slow, as it is often many months before a new news item pops up here.

We created the division once upon a time because the "minor" news - new product and moratorium notifications mostly - had a tendency to push more important news items away long before they should drop off the list.
However, in the light of the two points above which have begun to really bug me, I suggest we return to the old way of having just one coherent news section. As a new approach to the original problem, I suggest "pinning" big news to the top, with the caveat that since this is a news section and not a billboard, pinned news items should automatically become unpinned after a pre-set period of ca. three months.

Opinions?
BobTheZombieModerator
03/23/15 12:38 AM

How would this really differ from the current way (aside from the headings changing)? I see the minor news as more applicable to editors than anyone else, and the main news is for everyone. I often forget to even check those, so I kinda feel bad...
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
BrokenMnemonic
04/03/15 02:42 PM

Could we rename the "Minor News" panel to something like "Editor Announcements", and use it specifically for updating editors on when sources are available for use?
BobTheZombieModerator
04/03/15 10:30 PM

Sure; you're the one with the editing privileges. If you want, go ahead and change it. I guess if enough people riot as a result, you could change it back
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Nic JansmaAdministrator
04/07/15 09:53 PM

I would agree with BTZ, as the "pinning" is essentially what happens today with the separate sections.

I'm indifferent to merging them. One option, if we did, is we bold the more "major" news.
-- NicJ
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Frabby, BobTheZombie, Cray, Nic Jansma 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5221

Contact Admins Sarna.net