Editors please

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
04/11/15 12:51 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've made a new merc unit to use in a campaign that I have going with a few guys. I wanted to give them a starting background that has specifics to give them character, but enough vagueness to keep it at least slightly within canon.

But I've been having a lot of problems with my health (still) and haven't been thinking straight lately. Example, I was in charge of cleaning out rules in megamek to make it play more like the original battletech and I left half of the TacOps expanded rules and unofficial initiative rules on. Whoops. So if I could get you guys to look over my brief work and edit any mistakes you find, grammatically and too much deviation from canon works, I would appreciate it.

Timeline: 3054-3055 era

Conner's Howlers

Disgusted with the newfound surge in crusader leanings within his clan, as well as the ill treatment of the freeborns under his command, Will Conner of Wolf's Iota Galaxy abandoned his garrison post with his freeborn warriors. Although officially, Wolf has condemned Conner's actions and disavowed him from his bloodname, in truth, the remaining warden's show no signs of wanting to punish Conner for fleeing to the Inner Sphere.

One of his senior techs maintains a secretive relationship with some of the techs within Clan Diamond Shark, and as such, have some supplies that come periodically from Diamond Shark.

Conner and his star,a half star of aerospace fighters, along with several freebirth techs, doctors and their teams, hijacked the "Bloody Roar" Overlord class dropship and took off planet. Since entering the Inner Sphere, they were well received by the Wolf's Dragoons, were shown the ropes of mercenary work and struck out on their own to carve their own fate and to perhaps help stop the next clan invasion.

Conner's favorite method for attacking enemy positions is diverting his fast mechs off the beaten path and swing around to flank the enemy. That puts tremondous pressure on the assault mechs to withstand concentrated fire but the flankers will usually surprise the enemy or the enemy splits up and the assault mechs wade through the lessened resistance forces.
ghostrider
04/11/15 06:11 PM

A little more background would help, like how did they get out of system and use innersphere transport with a clan overlord? That may give you a little more for ideas on how and why the got where they did. Unless they hooked up with the Dragoons on the Draconis capital Luthien, it is hard to fathom how they got so deep into the innersphere since that time it was very likely to have everyone shoot at you. WIthout looking it up, the treaty of Tukiyud might have been violated as well, but not sure of the timeline.

I could see possibly getting word to them on wolfnet.

Now the forces represent what they use or everything they took? It sounds very unusual that a clan overlord would not be loaded, unless they had just deployed their units.

Also the time frame should mean the clans were still using their code of honor conduct. They would not concentrate on units, since one on one was still the preferred method of attack. After they learn of the flanking attacks, they might give up the zellbringen (spelling).
One more thing that you might want to consider. A star is 5 mechs. Not really a force to be splitting up to form flanking maneuvers, but that is just my opinion.
On a side note, I am not sure Connor is a blood name, so that might require some work.

Just a few points to consider if you are trying for a canon feel.
wolf_lord_30
04/13/15 09:49 PM

Let's see,
As far as the dropship, I haven't thought of that. That will definitely take some more thought.

Second, I wanted to start out small, so that's why I created them to only have a star. Figured they could get bigger in time. Hijacking a dropship shouldn't be too hard if it was a complete surprise as well as maybe some inside help. How was the crew supposed to know they weren't friendly anymore?

Third, the concentrated fire. True the clans do use zellbrigen, but the inner sphere doesn't. Just because they were second line didn't mean they never got to fight the inner sphere. If I made them within the Wolf occupation zone, that would help explain their transportation dilemmas as well. And being second line, they probably didn't fight as nicely as the others in their clan would.

Fourth, I will concede that a single star is hard to flank with, but technically it can be done. In fact I just had a game where my Assassin flanked a Warhammer and drove it off of a hill. It was ignored until it was too late. My Axman and Hunchback marched up the center while the Assassin flanked to one side and the Enforcer protected my other flank from two of his lights. But your point is taken. He was a star captain so he probably commanded more than a single star at a time, could be where he got his tactics from.

Fifth, I am happy to say, I did do some research on blood names and Conner is legitimate name for Wolf. It's in Field Manual Crusader Clans.

Edited by wolf_lord_30 (04/13/15 09:52 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4000

Contact Admins Sarna.net