Attention New Posters: Preferred Design Formats

Pages: 1
Nic JansmaAdministrator
04/07/15 09:50 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
For the sake of clarity and consistency, the forum members would appreciate all new posts appear in one of the following format:

Design Programs
If you want to use an app for your design, please upload or export from the following preferred apps:
  • MegaMek Lab
  • Solaris Skunkwerks
  • Heavy Metal

Text template
For sharing your design in a text format, please use the following template:

Code:

Name:
Mass:
Chassis:
Power Plant:
Cruising Speed:
Maximum Speed:
Jump Jets:
Jump Capacity:
Armor:
Armament:
Manufacturer:
Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure:
Engine
Walking MP:
Running MP:
Jumping MP:
Heat Sinks:
Gyro:
Cockpit:
Armor Factor:
Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head
Center Torso
Center Torso (rear)
R/L Torso
R/L Torso (rear)
R/L Arm
R/L Leg

Weapons & Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/08/15 11:25 AM

That works for mechs but what about other designs in the battle tech universe battle armor, protomechs, vehicles, aerospace fighters, small craft, dropships, jumpships, warships? And anything that I might have missed.

when I type in (cut and past) my designs, when i do this if I use more than one space bar its removed when I post my design. Is there something that can be done to stop this from happening?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
04/08/15 11:47 AM

Ok, so I wasn't the only one thinking of the small changes other units would need.

I do like the template It shows what you need to check out a design. And for some of us the don't have the new rules, we can piece together things like weights and crits.

I didn't want to be the first person to respond to this as well. It may look like it, but I don't stay on the site all day long.

But there is a small question that is still there. We know some of the mech programs do not put it in the (example) template format, and does not add in some critical details. Will they be asked to put it in the template format or just the export file the program uses?
Karagin
04/08/15 02:11 PM

It works for all designs since it follows the same format as the TROs which has things laid in a similar pattern.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CarcerKango
04/08/15 02:44 PM

I can get behind this.
ghostrider
05/21/15 05:12 PM

I guess we need clarification of this idea.
Is it going to be required to use the text format if they post it, and allow a download for the other styles of information?
Or is the text format just for those that don't use the other programs to export/upload?

I know this is not an easy thing to have to decide, as it does limit peoples options.
Karagin
05/21/15 10:15 PM

Given that we have several programs that when exporting text info leave it hard to read and follow I would say that the above format would be the best to use since it follows the official TRO layout.
Karagin

ghostrider
05/22/15 01:54 AM

I have already said enough times I agree with the format suggested. All of them should follow it, but only one person can make that so.
And I know a few people would probably stop posting designs because of it. So I can see why there is no enforced ruling on it.
It is very frustrating to look at a design and can't tell right off the bat what it is at times.

But oh well. I am not the forums god.

even though I feel like it
Rotwang
05/22/15 06:40 AM

I like to dabble in making mechs and share them on this forum. I don’t claim to be a design genius and I’m probably the last person they would ask to contribute to a Technical Readout. I use Solaris Skunkwerks because HMP hasn’t been updated since the rise of the Sons of Aryas and I have used the awful buggy Megamek Labs to see what’s possible with Superheavies (note, they suck badly). I simply don’t have the luxury due to work and real-life pressure to spend hours fine-tuning every little detail in a spoon-feeding format or write a detailed fluff account.

Edited by Rotwang (05/22/15 06:40 AM)
Drasnighta
05/22/15 10:42 AM

Its preferred.

Not Mandatory.

Personally, I'm here for the Fluff, that's just what I like. Not going to harp on anyone who doesn't. Its just not going to get my interest.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Karagin
05/22/15 11:33 PM

Actually you can get the weapons some of the other stuff for HMP, visit Rick's main page he has all the info there.

Fluff is fun. But it's not the end all, what I am suggesting here is use the format, above, omit the fluff if you want. The idea is that when the CODE format is used, then everything for the most part is lined up and easy to read. Not much is missed or overlooked and you go from things looking like this:

Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 ER Medium Lasers RA 10 2 2,00

to this:

Code:

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
--------------------------------------------------------
2 ER Medium Lasers RA 10 2 2.00

Karagin

Edited by Karagin (05/23/15 12:15 AM)
Karagin
05/22/15 11:37 PM

Does that help? All that is needed is to use the CODE feature that is right there when you post. Or type it in by playing "[" and "]" around the word code (minus the " marks) and the adding a / in front of the word code in the brackets to close it.
Karagin

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/23/15 08:05 AM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

Does that help? All that is needed is to use the CODE feature that is right there when you post. Or type it in by playing "[" and "]" around the word code (minus the " marks) and the adding a / in front of the word code in the brackets to close it.

When and where do you do this?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
05/23/15 12:55 PM

You type in the words with the brackets BEFORE you paste the text, then you type in the Brackets and the / and the word CODE at the end or bottom of what you pasted.

OR select the word CODE right below the subject line and above the message box when posting. Then you past between the wording in the box and hit submit.
Karagin

ghostrider
05/23/15 01:12 PM

new sticky thread topic?
Posting 101?

Karagin
05/23/15 01:25 PM

Should go with this one.
Karagin

CrayModerator
05/23/15 05:21 PM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

Should go with this one.

Yep, for now ya'll are on topic. But please don't turn a how-to sticky thread into a general discussion. If you want to get wordy or do a Q&A session, have that in separate thread.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 13076

Contact Admins Sarna.net