clan dueling rules

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
05/25/15 06:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Alright, I've finally been practicing a little with the clans. But their dueling rules as stated in First Strike, and Field Manual Crusader Clans leaves a little something to be desired.
First off, I'm not very good with the clans. Taking away my ability to smash the opposition with kicks, punches, charges, and of course, deaths from above actually puts me at a disadvantage. And not concentrating fire on one target.

My question comes from how the dueling process works. If I am playing at level one rules, such as I don't kick back at the enemy even after they knock me down, what happens when they refuse to duel? Tactically, it was sound for the enemy to not accept the challenges, they outnumbered me. They had a company of Davion 'mechs against my star of 'mechs.

So, they are concentrating for at me, but me, I'm still trying to play by level one rules which says regardless of actions taken, i adhere to the dueling rules. Then it goes on to say a little later unless it is tactically unsound. So how do I respond to the enemy not dueling? My pilots don't like to share kills, but it is supposed to be a melee now. At least I think it was. So by not sharing kills, I assume that means I still don't use concentrated fire. But can my pilots switch targets now and keep in character? Such as, one turn I shoot at the exposed back of a Victor with my Ice Ferret and then next turn shoot at that Marauder II creeping up on me and my Timber Wolf takes over shooting at the Victor. Does this break character for my pilots or count as sharing a kill? Then the next turn the Timber Wolf finishes off a jumping Shadow Hawk that ran from my second Timber Wolf and the Ice Ferret fires back at the Victor.

Or, should I still stick with one target per pilot until either he dies or kills his target, regardless of what the enemy does? Also, since sharing kills is not appreciated, is it ever really in character to concentrate fire (Ice Hellion special rules not withstanding)?
Drasnighta
05/25/15 07:11 PM

Simple rules for me:

1) - Only Ever Shoot at a Duel Target.

2) - Anyone you have Shouted a Challenge at (and is accepted*) is a Duel Target.

3) - Anyone who Shoots at you, is a Duel Target.

4) - Only Ever Shoot at a Duel Target.

Using Clan Honour rules is something that has to be kept in the spirit of "Fun"**. Yes, a smart and Canny enemy will find a way to abuse those duelling rules for their own use - but the small number of those units that are actually trained to do that should really be the anomaly. Its hard to drill against, after all, unless you are able to drill against someone who truly understands how they work.

Think of the old JF trials of Position. As we know, at the start, the Falcons were always pretty rigid adherants to the code, since, they're Jade Falcons and all... They put multiple 'Mechs out there for the Rookie to shoot at, its only just supposed to basically be the one to pass... But you CAN fire at them.

The guys on the recieving end of that ARE bound to Duelling rules as well... if there's Multiple Rookies out there, they're only going to be firing at the one who fired at them. But there might be up to 5 of them wailing away at one unlucky sap.

Thing is, at the end of the day no-one's going to be bragging about the fact they ****-whipped the Upstart SibkoBrat all the way to the Labourer Caste... Its just not sport of them. They're not likely to say they defeated anyone at all...

Only Claim what is Bragging Rights...

And if someone else Claims that Kill too... Circle of Grievance in the 'Mechbay!

* Think like a Clanner. Not hearing a response means they're too scared of you to accept, but they do.

** As all games should be.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
ghostrider
05/25/15 11:56 PM

First rule of clan duels.
Until the enemy breaks the code, you do not. Most clansmen do not close with the enemy since they consider themselves the master gunners in the field. That is why they outrange everything in the innersphere. Gang fire against them still did not make many break the duel rules as accepting help is a sign of weakness to their pride.
What do you do if they break it?
You DIE!

Now the Trial of Position has 3 mechs oppose each candidate but only one will engage at a time. Once you finish off one opponent, another would step up to take the challenge. Defeating one would mean you are a warrior. Defeating 2 puts you at star commander. Defeating all three makes you a star Captain. Honor would dictate you do not fire on the other candidates units unless they allow you to. Since that is a breach of honor for most, it does not happen. Natasha Kerinsky explains that to Phelan ward as they both were going for a trial of position together.

Now for the warriors that get defeated as opponents to the cadets. They are not supposed to lose any honor if they try to defeat them and lose. Most of the first ones seem to be in lighter mechs then the cadets are, so that might be forseen.

As for the question of attacking another persons target. That is allowed if the first warrior is down. Fleeing would be considered dishonorable and not tolerated. Only a command decision could avoid that, and the commander would have to face the dishonor.

And once the enemy has shown they will not honor the duels, then it is in character to shoot anything that shoots you. It still leads to some issues after the battle, such as the trials of grievance, but that is up to the commander to allow. A general order to ignore the duels can be given to when fighting a dezgra unit.
ghostrider
05/26/15 12:00 AM

And don't think the clans are as honorable as they claim. If you accept the novels story line, Aidan Pryde was put down by Myrthe (?) pride in their trial of position. She took him down when he set off the grand melee by shooting one of her targets.
It was how he was kicked from the warrior caste, and she started at a higher ranking.
Since he initiated it, there was no honor lost for doing so.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4287

Contact Admins Sarna.net