stadic space defense

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/23/15 08:44 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I created my own thread so as not to hijack someone elses with going off subject. I'm trying not to be an *** I mean a donkey about things.

For my solar system I don't really use space mine fields because they just get in the way of civilian space traffic. At the two jump point I have tiny space stations on tethers to create centrifuge gravity as warning as to what is inbound. If there is a threat to the station the crew is to board a long range shuttle, blows the cables, and abandons the station to let it fly into deep space.

Pirate jump points are not guarded but are watched.

The main planet and its moon has ground launched nuclear missiles for orbit defense. The war heads are not really expected to damage anything they are launched at but are really intended to either make dropships go to ground (I wont detonate nuclear war heads in my own atmosphere, I mean really I do have to live here you know!) or to chase them and warships out of orbit where they are far less affective at their mission.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
06/23/15 11:37 AM

Just curious, but if the threat wasn't a big one, or the potential craft did not want to mess with you, can you retrieve the stations or have to build a new one?
I know denying the enemy resources is always nice, but this seems like a big money loss to replace.
Granted blowing them up amounts to about the same thing. But atleast if you do that, then you might be able to aim one as the invaders.

I will assume you have a tug set up and possible back up locator signal on them to recover them.

And one other point. Pirate points open and close rather regularly. I am going to assume you don't let your sensor operators ignore any contacts. From what I have read, this seems to be why some shadow organizations can sneak onto a world. Most routinely ignore certain iff's.
CrayModerator
06/23/15 06:40 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Just curious, but if the threat wasn't a big one, or the potential craft did not want to mess with you, can you retrieve the stations or have to build a new one?

If you're just cutting the tethers on small habitat pods, it should be inexpensive to re-attach the pods.

Quote:
I will assume you have a tug set up and possible back up locator signal on them to recover them.

Outside of combat, a modest fusion engine integrated into the habitat sections and a few tons of fuel should cancel their motions. Assuming the pods rotate on an 1800m diameter for 1G, then they'll be able to spin at a stomach-safe 1rpm, which means they're moving at ~94 meters per second. A single fuel point gives 300m/s to a fusion engine.

Quote:
And one other point. Pirate points open and close rather regularly.

Mostly they stay wide open and are predictable L1 Lagrange points. It turns out that when you crunch the numbers on pirate points that they're hard to disrupt or close with a second moon or something. Mostly they end up wiggling and squirming around the L1 point when a third body (like an extra moon) gets involved.

Quote:
I am going to assume you don't let your sensor operators ignore any contacts. From what I have read, this seems to be why some shadow organizations can sneak onto a world. Most routinely ignore certain iff's.

Yep. Anyone showing up at a pirate point needs to get a good look immediately, regular IFF or not.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/25/15 01:54 AM

The pods are of little value and easily replaced so if its unretrievable its not a big loss.

I keep spares so If there is a need I can just place a pod into one of my many Mule dropships and send it out to the jump point.

Also I boast a really good sized space force for a bandit kingdom and I have a treaty with the Federated Sons so I have little issues with needing to overly worry over it.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4068

Contact Admins Sarna.net