new star league weapons redirect

Pages: 1
ghostrider
07/03/15 04:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
figured since it was moving towards more of a game play then actual designs, we should move the threat to another location. Might be better in the general instead of board game, but the admins can move it if it is an issue.

I could see someone hiring some mercs to form a unit, and no one really knowing where the person is from. It does make it more mysterious on why they are checking out some out of the way areas, that only the rich explorers would even bother with.
You could add in a few things that would never become standard equipment due to a flaw, like a lighter ac but has a chance to explode. Say on a to hit roll of 2, you roll the 2d6 and if it comes up a 12, it explodes, but yet it is only 75% the weight of a normal cannon. Or maybe a faulty fusion engine that on a roll of 2 will produce extra power for an additional walk movement, but has a chance of meltdown when it does. Say the actual experimental units from figuring out how to make an xl, left over from the star leagues time.

If you wanted to be real nice, you could have find out the proper mixture would have worked, but there was a contaminant in the mixture that caused the issue. Only time and money can get the proper facilities up and running to do anything with it, and once the other governments found out about it, the refinery becomes the target for all, including tech raids. Lots of excitement protecting it.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/04/15 01:12 PM

I would drop the chance of your AC example exploding its way to easy to roll a 2.

Like say when you roll a 2 you roll a chance of a crit. If you want to make it easier or harder you can assign it a bonus or negative modifier.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
07/04/15 03:44 PM

I was thinking of the mech critical tables. Limb blown off would be the 'result' to have it blow up. The roll of 2 would just be the thing that causes the second roll. If you want to extend it, then have them roll 3 times or how ever you want.
Simply put, you can roll 3 times. If a 2 comes up each time then it explodes.

Just trying to get some ideas going.
I was trying to keep people from thinking an ac with 3/4ths the weight would be worth the risk if the chances were less. But as I said. It is just a suggestion.
And I agree with you. A 2 is too easy to roll.
And as an added bonus, maybe make the explosion damage units in the same hex, ie friendly units could be taken out with your unit. Enemies as well.
DavidG
07/05/15 03:31 PM

I had the thought of having my group find a prototype Behemoth that was lost in shipment when the project was cancelled. It has the same weapons configuration as the Clan mech just with Inner Sphere equipment. The only change I mad was Case and full armor of 19 tons. This made the mech weigh 110 tons. Basically over 10% which is actually in the mechs lifting capacity. What I did then was apply a +1 piloting modifier for being intrinsically over weight. There was no problems as long as it only walked. If it ran, the pilot had to make a piloting roll to avoid damaging the legs. If he failed, he had to roll on the critical chart to see if the mech sustained any criticals. If the mech jumped, the pilot had to roll to see if he fell while landing. If so, he took damage as per normal falling rules. On top of that though, he had to automatically roll on the critical chart with a +2 to the roll. The idea is, here is a cool mech, how long can you keep if running, and chance having massive problems during combat, or do you strip it of parts to keep other mechs running. Of course you also let them figure out the piloting problems by trial and error.
ghostrider
07/05/15 04:06 PM

That actually fit the fluff for the design. They had stated the leg actuators shut down on the first test.
Now without knowing when the oversized units became available, this would be a good way to introduce them into a campaign, or at least give it a start on research for it.

It might help with ideas, but maybe have it in the mech cocoon of part of the crashed ship, that no one has bothered with if you want to use the nuke idea. Too much radiation without suits, and anyone that knew about it was still fighting when it went down.
If you use a natural disaster to uncover part of the base, it might work with this as well. Have it a landing bay that opens up with the other part of the base.

Granted, replacing the myomers would be the problem. Depending on the time line, they may not be available at all. So that is something that might affect the play.
Now if you really want to have them involved in the 'history'. You could have them be the ones to 'discover' the myomers that are used for the over sized mechs. Maybe have them give birth to the whole industry of oversized units.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4231

Contact Admins Sarna.net