Infantry in building vs machine guns

Pages: 1
xanth
07/09/15 05:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Posted this on "battletech.com" before I realized they wont help be with a rules question since I don't have their latest version of the rules.

I am just getting back into the game. I have the Battletech Master Rules that came out 2000-ish as well as my original boxed set from 1988-ish.

My question is regarding infantry in buildings vs mech mounted machine guns as in the Master Rules.

Page 60 states that a battle mech mounted MG does 1D6 to infantry.

Page 51 states that you cannot directly attack infantry in buildings, and you must attach the building itself. The building absorbs a percentage of damage based on type (ie medium absorbs 50%).

So, what happens if My mech with a machine gun attacks infantry in a building? The way I read the rules is that since I am attacking the building and not the infantry I only do 2 points of damage to the building(normal machine gun damage), not the 1D6 I would get against infantry not in a building. in the case of a medium building in my example 1 point would transfer to the infantry. Is this correct?

Note that I am referring to basic, normal, run of the mill foot infantry.

Appreciate the help !!

Also, Looks like a lot of rulebooks have changed, been updated ect...I see total warfare, alpha strike, among others. Have the rules changed to such an extent I need to update my rule books?

Edited by xanth (07/09/15 05:15 PM)
CrayModerator
07/09/15 05:40 PM

Quote:
xanth writes:
So, what happens if My mech with a machine gun attacks infantry in a building? The way I read the rules is that since I am attacking the building and not the infantry I only do 2 points of damage to the building(normal machine gun damage)

Correct.

Quote:
not the 1D6 I would get against infantry not in a building.

Correct.

Quote:
in the case of a medium building in my example 1 point would transfer to the infantry. Is this correct?

Correct.

Quote:
Also, Looks like a lot of rulebooks have changed, been updated ect...I see total warfare, alpha strike, among others. Have the rules changed to such an extent I need to update my rule books?

BMR is fine for most aspects of game play, there hasn't been a major revision that fundamentally altered the game. Your designs won't need to change. Had a similar discussion recently where I said you could still use BMR for most game play:
http://www.sarna.net/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/177726/an/0/page/0#177726

There's been some expansion of the construction rules, some refinement of game rules, but your basic 'Mech-vs-'Mech game hasn't altered much. The changes tend to be in special cases, like partial cover or attacks on infantry.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
xanth
07/09/15 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4035

Contact Admins Sarna.net