QuadBattleArmor+ Myomer Booster

Pages: 1
Sparky12
07/16/15 03:35 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey this is my first post on this forum and id like to start out by saying a few things.
1. I am in no way an expert on battletech battlearmor
2. This design was scratch built using pen and paper as opposed to a design software.
3. The design is meant to hunt slower targets including assault mechs.
I would apreciate opinions concerning the usefulness/ legality of the design in case i made an error in building it.
Now for the build:

Clan Tech Medium Quad Battlearmor
Weight: 1000kg
Chassis: 250kg
Armor: 7pts of clan standard 175kg
Weapons/equipment: AP Gauss Rifle with 250 shots, and a Battle armor myomer booster.455kg
TT speed: 5 Hexes + 2 from the booster. 120kg

I have yet to calculate the BV as i have been unable to find a battle value for the myomer booster.

Edited by Sparky12 (07/16/15 03:38 PM)
Retry
07/16/15 09:34 PM

1.That's quite all right.
2.Cool. Have you thought about trying out design softwares?
3.That's not the role I'd use it for, but it's definitely an interesting design. There's definitely uses for extremely fast battle armor.

I plugged it into my own design software, looks legal to me. The BV I came up with is 389 for your specs.
Sparky12
07/16/15 10:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the bv much apreciated.
Im currently looking into getting some software for doing ba. Also what role would u place it in?
ghostrider
07/17/15 12:52 AM

A movement of 5 base with a boost to 7? Not many heavies could out run them, though some mediums and a few lights would be able to.
Not sure of the damage the ap does to mech armor, but they could very well be used to ambush mechs and take them down quickly, especially light mechs.

Though the quad part of it makes it hard to swarm a mech. I guess they would work well to pop up, fire, then lay flat to try and hide from the enemy. I would think a portable ecm unit would do wonders for helping them do that.
Retry
07/17/15 09:07 AM

I'd attach it to a speedy unit such as something hovercraft-centric so fast armored forces could be supported by infantry on the move. This BA can easily run down and shred basic infantry types, although it lacks armor and firepower to survive against assault mechs with large pulse lasers, which is a fairly common weapon type.
Sparky12
07/17/15 11:33 AM

The problem assualt mechs would face is one of numbers. A standard clan gunner is a three in order to keep up with the BA he will most likely run +2 while his large pulse lasers provide a decrease and so does a targettimg computer -3 if remember correctly, he then must deal with the +4 of the battlearmor running full out. If the battle armor can get to medium range, or if the assault isnt armed with large pulses then they are just as safe as fast mechs in the 20 ton range that can put +4s on every turn. Another thing to mention is such an optimized assault is gonna have a huge BV meaning the armor if fielded in smaller groups than a point will outnumber him by quite a bit. Or at least thats my thinking i usually field battle armor in groups of two so i can boost their stats and lower their BV.
BV for a point is 5.2 times the armors BV
BV for a group of two is 2.2 times the armors BV

Edited by Sparky12 (07/17/15 11:36 AM)
ghostrider
07/17/15 12:32 PM

bv isn't completely accurate to determine the outcome of a battle. It gives a good indication, but simple die rolls can be quirky as well. Example. An ac 20 is a big bad weapon, but only if it hits. I have seen a lucky person take out several units and 8 hexes with rolls of 12. I have personally missed hitting something needing a 4 to hit 5 times out of 6 more then once.

Now the targetting computer only increases your chance to hit by 1. The -3 is with pulse lasers. From the statement, it looks like a bonus of 5 is the outcome with this set up. It could be how I read it.
Now with Retry's group the pulse laser is fairly common, but if you look at the tro that are published, the pulse laser is NOT as common as you would think. Er versions of weapons, with ppc being more common for ranged weapons when lrms aren't used.

And one last thing. Numbers is the issue with all units dealing with powered armor. And one last thing you have seemed to have left out is point blank physical attacks. Granted by that time you are in the poop deep, but it can change the outcome as powered armor that can't swarm tends to get punted in to scrap.
Sparky12
07/17/15 03:12 PM

Thanks for clearing the numbers thing up a bit i wasnt exactly sure how much pulse/ targetting took off. I personally rarely chppse pulse lasers over ER versions but its a preference. Another thought i was having for this BA is to drop the AP Gauss and ammo and put in a light tag (35kg) 2 lmg (150kg) and an extra point of armor (25kg)
ghostrider
07/17/15 08:07 PM

Make a variant that uses it. You do not really need a whole new suit. Granted mixing them might be an issue with playing them in the game as it changes damage potentials.

There are options out there.
I don't have the info to do much with battle armor, so the best I can do is general information. I would think you would need to come up with some house rules to deal with a mixed unit like this.
Sparky12
07/17/15 08:40 PM

Ok thanks alot for all the imput on the design.
Retry
07/19/15 05:07 PM

A humanoid chassis can go a maximum of 5 hexes with top speed and the myomer booster. The quad chassis has a slightly heavier motive system when going at top speed but benefits from both a top speed increase (superior for deciding ranges and flanking) and an increased to-hit modifier when running at full speed. The disadvantage compared to a jump-jet capable design of course is that restricting terrain like hills and valleys really does restrict.

As for getting "punted into scrap", I've never had that problem. Getting close to battlearmor is generally a bad idea so the weapon type most often used against them (in my experience) are pulse lasers for the more agile or stealthy ones.

Edited by Retry (07/19/15 05:09 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5629

Contact Admins Sarna.net