Off subject from D8 battletech

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/20/15 10:28 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Overheating semi's going up a grade lose power

As a semi truck driver I am quite qualified to respond to this.

Engine heat has zero to so with why semis slow down going up a grade. Trucks are geared for raw pulling power and not speed. You might not notice but fully loaded semis slow down even on the slightest grade because they are pulling up to 80,000 pounds and on rare occasions over the legal limit of 80,000 pounds with a permit.

Trucks are designed to be able to operate in any weather conditions including going up steep grades in very high temperatures with no ill affect. They have cooling systems that are not used in every day operations but for times when the truck really needs them. I can drive my truck in conditions that would cause your car to over heat and crack the head and my truck would just turn on its extra cooling system and keep chugging up the hill.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
07/20/15 10:40 PM

Ok, so that is different from a few other drivers that have stated they lose power when overheating. I know moving trucks as well as busses lose power when overheating going up hills in the summer that they have no issues with in the winter.

Might have been poor maintainence from the company they worked at.
KamikazeJohnson
07/21/15 12:54 AM

There's some justification for including Power Loss from Overheat if you're using an ICE, but we're talking about Fusion Reactors for 'Mechs, which have internal operating temperatures similar to the core of the Sun. Excessive heat output could affect peripheral systems (like myomer performance, targeting systems, etc.) but there should be no noticeable difference in maximum power output.

If anything, I think I'll leave "Overtaxing the Engine" as an Advanced Rule. Or leave it out entirely.

Incidentally, Engine Crits might effect Power Output, effectively lowering the rating of your engine. Just a thought.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
07/21/15 01:30 AM

That's cool. I know the fusion equipped mechs had issue with heat affecting their movement. Wasn't sure if there was anything in the works to try to incorporate that into the new system.
But it does make me ask another question. Will overheating have other effects like weapons malfunctions and targeting issue?
And will it still affect the myomers and actuators?
Otherwise I can see an all energy equipped unit bending the rules since ammo explosion isn't really there to keep the heat down.

I do like the engine crits affecting power output. Don't know how complicated you want to get, but I would suggest x amount with a roll each round for a random increase for first crit, then x+y with 2 rolls. Might be too much rolling to make the game smooth.
Drasnighta
07/22/15 09:17 PM

Quote:
KamikazeJohnson writes:

Incidentally, Engine Crits might effect Power Output, effectively lowering the rating of your engine. Just a thought.

Yeah, the fluff is a bit one way then the other, depending on your fluff source.

In Novels, seemingly anything goes - right up to the Stackpole Effect, as it was once coined...

In a lot of the Non-Novel writings, the Engine taking hits is not taking an actual performace hit, but hits to its Engine Shielding - which, since as you have noted, they have an internal operating temperature best described as extreme - means the heat bleeds into the 'Mech... The 3-hit shutdown is an automatic safety protocol...

So I'd follow on with that - engine hits don't decrease performance of the engine - but certainly should degrade performance of everything else heat-sensitive...

... and since my computer fried its video card in the local 36C heat the other day, I'm rather biased as to how extreme of an effect that should be....
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
KamikazeJohnson
07/22/15 11:05 PM

Well, the peripheral effects are represented by the movement/targeting penalties from the Heat Scale...the Heat Scale itself representing essentially the wntire 'Mech heating up. In the original game, an Engine crit represented damage to the shielding, as you said, resulting in higher heat output...I'm cinsidering instead having the 'Mech automatically reduce Engine output...rather than higher Heat production, the 'Mech is simply running on less power to remain at a safe operating level. Still thinking on it.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
07/22/15 11:37 PM

That would make sense. Like a nuclear reactor. if it starts running hot, power down some until the system returns to normal levels makes sense.

The biggest issue I have with some of the heat issues deals with it being future military tech. Cost are a factor, but I don't think they would run cheaper things in the war machines meant to protect their asses. If it is true the heat buildup would affect systems like that, they would not be safe operating in cities, nor would you have normal infantry around them in battle. The idea of an rct becomes less likely from this notion.

Also, jumping into water would mean the structure should crack and possibly break from the high temperature to the cooler water. Just one leak in the heat sink intakes would cause major issues when they are closed due to being in the water. Which kind of negates having water cool the unit.

Hmmm. That does make me think how heat sinks work in air and water. They pull air in to run over the sinks like a radiator, or so it would seem. Would that mean jumping in water does close that off or would water flood the areas like this? For some reason, I don't think ammo feeds are sealed. And a bad patch job on wiring might cause a complete shorting of the units systems..
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5092

Contact Admins Sarna.net