07/25/15 04:36 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Coulda named it Fafnir IIC
Retry
07/28/15 01:54 AM

But... It's not a fafnir.

DESCRIPTION:
Named after an eight-legged predator, the Theraphosidae (sometimes nicknamed "Thera") is a conventional assault mech which, along with the Salticidae and SuperSalticidae, are built to secure the beachhead of a Dropship landing force.

While the Salticidae and SuperSalticidaes are built with mobility in mine, the Theraphosidae brings tremendous firepower in the form of two of the most powerful weapons yet developed, the Hyper Assault Gauss/40. Capable of shredding 5 tons of armor in one salvo, 1 minutes and 30 seconds of full-auto firing time is usually enough to do the job.

Thera is protected from explosions inside and out by a combination of CASE II for the HAG/40s and reactive armor. The armor was chosen specifically for its resiliency to explosive type weapons such as artillery and bombs, reducing vulnerability to such measures that would normally be applied against assault mechs. Incidentally, the armor has a strong resistance against missile based weapons which are popular among battle armor and any size battlemech.

Thera is equipped with a Targeting computer, which can be networked with other Theras during the landing party to improve the overall efficiency of the group or with any other assets with C3i computers, generally after the landing zone is secured.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/28/15 10:00 AM

It would not be a good idea for this mech to get to far from its base or LZ do to how critically little it has in the way of ammunition.

I would ditch the CASE ll for CASE and give the mech another ton of ammunition. With how quickly you will use up your ammunition I doubt that you will take any critical damage before you depleted your supply of ammunition. That extra three shots might make or brake you.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
07/28/15 03:56 PM

I think I have the firepower part covered. CASE II is for fulfilling the survivability part.
CrayModerator
07/28/15 05:56 PM

Quote:
Retry writes:

I think I have the firepower part covered. CASE II is for fulfilling the survivability part.

It doesn't add a lot of survivability to your design, though there are marginal situations. Consider the three following points.

First, you still take 2 hits to the pilot through all that neurohelmet feedback (bullshit), which is how I lost a superheavy 'Mech on Sunday (1 hit from a fall, 4 head hits from RAC/5 spam, and then 2 hits from HGR explosion despite only losing 1 structure point. Pissed me right off. Sorry, had to share.)

Anyway, second, by the time you're taking critical hits on your side torso that might cook off the HAG and test the CASE II, you probably don't have a lot of internal structure points left. You just lost one of your BFGs, have no rear armor left, and you're only one or two hits away from losing the torso anyway.

Third, and probably most importantly, you've got a SFE design. The matter would be different if you had an XL design here. The difference between a CASE II and CASE on an XL 'Mech is "1pt of internal structure" versus "entire torso and 3 automatic engine hits."

For this particular, specific, singular design, I'd recommend regular CASE and another ton of ammo. On another 'Mech, I'd reconsider - I just used CASE II to successfully leave a very intact 'Mech with a electrocuted MechWarrior in the cockpit. In other circumstances, I would've finished annihilating some more little crunchies (heavy and assault 'Mechs) before going down.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
07/28/15 06:15 PM

Yeah, that's all true. I generally use official and unofficial rules to weed out the BS here and there, having CASE reduce the damage caused by explosions and also have that floating TAC rule, meaning a TAC on the left or right torsos are very possible if I get hit, which makes the loss of one HAG/40 almost inevitable. Besides, "protected from explosions inside-and-out" has a nice marketing jingle to it.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5026

Contact Admins Sarna.net