MML 3 SRM Ammo BD 33

Equipment Loc
Vehicular Stealth BD
Guardian ECM Suite BD
CASE BD
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
08/30/15 11:33 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I dont think that stealth armor is much use when you can be heard from miles away from the noise of the blades cutting through the air. The noise can be decreases to some extent but it cant be emanated entirely, you will still be heard long before you will ever spot the enemy.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
08/31/15 12:05 AM

The stealth armor's primary function is to reduce the chance of getting hit when targeted at medium and long ranges.

Noise isn't really considered in-game. And if it were, some craft use vector thrust technology instead of propellers, such as the Aeron VTOL.
ghostrider
08/31/15 02:19 AM

Or hover craft? Even a thundering mech.

Though I do wonder if you would use this as a hit and run unit, or try to hang and bang. The armor would suggest strafing runs. Though ammo weapons are not good with that. Maybe remove the stealth armor wouldn't be such a bad thing. Not sure if it uses weight or not, but a tag or maybe even a c3 might be a better choice. Get in, get the shot, and get out. Rinse and repeat.
Karagin
08/31/15 06:17 AM

The price is comparable to other units that can last longer and offer more, not sure that this is the best use of resources.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
08/31/15 07:21 AM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

The price is comparable to other units that can last longer and offer more, not sure that this is the best use of resources.

As is I would agree with you. Ditch the Vehicular Stealth armor and the Guardian ECM Suite for more standard armor protection then I would disagree with you.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
08/31/15 06:31 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

Quote:
Karagin writes:

As is I would agree with you. Ditch the Vehicular Stealth armor and the Guardian ECM Suite for more standard armor protection then I would disagree with you.

The new price tag with your suggested modifications is 885,700 C-bills, or slightly more than 70% of the original cost. Not cheap enough to justify an underutilized fusion engine and greatly decreased survivability at long range.
ghostrider
08/31/15 06:43 PM

Underutilizing the engine? Because you don't use all the heatsinks? Then swap out to ermls or something else.
And I thought mmls had lrm ammo they could use. Hell if you are worried about long range, then use lrms and something like that.

With all the stealth items use, I wonder why the clans would not orbital bombard crossroads into oblivion because of the dishonorable machines that seem to be the only things they are willing to make.

If it doesn't have stealth armor, it has hardened. But then it uses the near cloaking ews systems.
But then, this is not something we need to use in the current form.
But keep mix/maxing everything. Might as well use erlrms or some other ranged weapons, since we all know full speed should be enough to avoid any fire on it from outside of short range for weapons.
Retry
08/31/15 07:28 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Underutilizing the engine? Because you don't use all the heatsinks? Then swap out to ermls or something else.
And I thought mmls had lrm ammo they could use. Hell if you are worried about long range, then use lrms and something like that.

With all the stealth items use, I wonder why the clans would not orbital bombard crossroads into oblivion because of the dishonorable machines that seem to be the only things they are willing to make.

If it doesn't have stealth armor, it has hardened. But then it uses the near cloaking ews systems.
But then, this is not something we need to use in the current form.
But keep mix/maxing everything. Might as well use erlrms or some other ranged weapons, since we all know full speed should be enough to avoid any fire on it from outside of short range for weapons.

Apparently I can't even make an inner sphere helicopter without being accused of min-maxing or crap like that. If it's got any advanced tech, if its design flaws aren't as open as insanely obvious to exploit as a fighter without an armament, it's min-maxing.
ghostrider
09/01/15 02:19 AM

Well it seems every unit seems to have one of 2 things. The hardened armor or stealth systems. Now it does say IS advanced, so I will give you that much. The lack of weights tends to make that difficult to see at a glance.

The min/max thing was actually in your defense. The engine statement as well as decreased survivability at long range? Both those suggest it is a min/max sort of design.
I do get the feeling your group plays with 0 gunnery skilled units to even think this needs the stealth cloak set up for long range. That is unless you sit at long range to potshot people. A 10/15 unit should be using the speed to get in and out. Not just sit there. The move of 8+ adds 4 to the attackers strikes. Normal 8 for long range is 12 without the enemy doing a damn thing.
You want to make sure they can not fire on you at that range. Plain and simple. Then again your use of clan pulse lasers dictates you need the bonus, since everything under the sun seems to have clan pulse with tc on it.

The unit itself looks like it would survive without the extra costs. Though as it has been pointed out so many times, cost means nothing to those not playing a money campaign.
RockJock
09/19/15 11:38 PM

I actually like the design for what it is. if you have the money for a unit like this then great.
Akalabeth
03/27/16 05:49 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I dont think that stealth armor is much use when you can be heard from miles away from the noise of the blades cutting through the air. The noise can be decreases to some extent but it cant be emanated entirely, you will still be heard long before you will ever spot the enemy.

Ah nah dude, just put the helicopter in whisper mode.
Never saw Blue Thunder?
Retry
03/27/16 09:58 PM

As long as this is getting bumped, I'd like everyone to look up footage from inside a running Sherman tank. Basically, if you're in a AFV of a decent size, you're not hearing much of anything other than the sound of your own roaring engine.
ghostrider
03/27/16 10:29 PM

Interesting point, Retry. We know from the movie Kelly's Heros, the tiger tanks made enough noise to let them get in close.
Now the question comes down to a fusion engine. How much noise does it make?

I know you can not make them completely quiet, but I believe the counter rotating blade cuts the noise significantly, though someone may have to confirm/deny this one.

And not all military have everything in running vehicles as smart ones have infantry scouts out with no real noise making things with them.

But I do agree, with the noise issue. Yet the Thud-thud-thud of a mech walking never gives away the fact there are mechs moving through an area or the sound of a hover craft. So that is a hole in the game. Sensor tech skills would be nice to add another level of play to the game.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7172

Contact Admins Sarna.net