Hard Rock

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
09/01/15 08:10 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hard Rock

The Hard Rock Battlemech is the first battlemech that was designed and built, well at least assembled, by Assinine Industries. The mech looks a great deal like an Atlas so much so that it is believed that the mech is built in parts then the parts are shipped from some factory or factories that builds the Atlas and is assembled by Assinine Industries with some modifications.

The upgraded technology from the believed base AS7-D Atlas is that the Hard Rock has an Endo-Steel internal structure, Double Heat Sinks, Extra Light Gyro, Hardened Armor, a Gauss Rifle, and two Extended Range Large Lasers.

It is known for a fact that the Hardened Armor and the Gauss Rifle are manufactured in whole by Assinine Industries. As for the Double Heat Sink and Extended Range Large Lasers they are known to be assembled by Assinine Industries but if they are manufactured in part or in full by them its unknown its considered very unlikely that the double heat sinks and or the extended range large lasers are manufactured in full by Assinine Industries.

Assinine Industries is not known to have the industry capability to make Endo-Steel or the Extra Light Gyro.

10,773,000 CBills

Technology Base: - Inner Sphere - Level 3
Equipment Mass 100
Internal Structure: -endo steel
Engine: 300
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 4
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 13(26) double
Gyro: 1.5 XL
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: Hardened 307 38.5

Internal Armor/armor
Structure Value
Head 3/9
Center Torso 31/50
Center Torso(rear) 12
R/L Torso 21/35
R/L Torso(rear) 7
R/L Arm 17/34
R/L Leg 21/42

Weapons and Ammo Location heat crits Tonnage
Gauss Rifle RT - 1 - 7 - 15
GR Ammo (24) LT - * - 3 - 3
ER Large Laser RA - 12 - 2 - 5
ER Large Laser LA - 12 - 2 - 5
Med Laser LTR 3 - 1 - 1
Med laser RTR 3 - 1 - 1

Hard Rock was designed for static defense, like for an example at a space port or at an industrial center, as such its lack of any speed is not considered that much of a drawback from conventional unit ground attacks. Its entire combat profile is to stand its ground like a rock and to dish out and to receive massive amounts of damage aka its name. The most common tactic for a lance of Hard Rocks is for the four mechs to stand in a very tight formation so any one mech cant be out flanked and attacked from the rear. Of course the draw back of such a tactic is that it makes the four mechs a good target for either bombing attacks from aircraft or from attacks from artillery. So its best that they are part of a larger unit that can take care of enemy air assets or artillery.

The Hard Rocks main weapon is its Gauss Rifle. This weapon can strip an entire ton of standard armor off a attacking unit with each hit at a very good range. To make sure that the gun does not run out of ammunition to quickly the mech was given three tons of gauss rifle ammunition.

To back up the Gauss Rifle the Hard Rock was given two Extended Range Large Lasers. Each one of thees lasers them self's can cut off a half ton of armor from an attacking unit. Few mechs can stand up to having two tons of armor plating to be destroyed as quickly as the Hard Rock can do and stay in the fight.

Because of the Hard Rocks slow speed there is a chance that some attacking force could get the lance to brake its standard tight formation and as such make a flanking attack is quite possible. Because of that the Hard Rock was given two Medium Lasers in the rear to defend the mech from attacks from the rear.

Since Assinine Industries is only known to possess mech repair facilities and not a proper mech factory they are very limited on the number of Hard Rock Battlemechs that can be assembled at any one time. Each time a Hard Rock is started to be assembled that mech repair bay will be tied up for a good part of a year and as such that repair bay is unavailable for any mechs that Assinine Industries owns that might need maintenance or to be repaired. When the Hard Rocks where first being assembled Assinine Industries has filled all of their repair bay facilities with Hard Rocks and Assinine Industries ended up having to ground one of their mech dropship to be used as a field mech repair bay until the first wave of Hard Rocks where finished being assembled. Because mech bays in drop ships are not up to the standards of a fully stocked static repair bays some mech maintenance was delayed until the Hard Rocks where finished and the bays where available once again. It is assumed that no Hard Rocks will be available for sale any where in the future do to the very limited production. All of the Hard Rocks that are being built will be used by Assinine Industries its self.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
09/01/15 12:36 PM

It's speed is very typical of a 100 tonner, so that isn't as bad as you would suggest. Now a 2/3 might fit that description.

I know it is picky, but the actuators used on the mech would be a good idea. Not sure how close to being out of crits the mech is, but if you don't have hands, then maybe flipping the arms could mean removal or moving the rear mediums. Not fond of IS erlls but they do the job.

Now with the hardened armor, have you considered using normal internals with/or just using an xl engine? I know that would jump the costs, and the possible lack of crits might negate the chance.

And for those that expect it, I am not at all fond of the hardened armor. The lack of the running speed could put it in trouble as pointed out, but unless they have sustained major damage, I really don't see that being much of a liability.
What does beg to be asked is 3 main weapons for an assault seems light. I know weight and lack of cits is the biggest concern.
14 crits for endosteel during a time of the xl gyro is crap, but that is another thread.
Might have room for some extra closer ranged weapons otherwise.
09/02/15 08:35 AM

It has fifteen free crits with out removing things like hand actuators.

I did not want to use the XL engine for the reason of the cost. The Endo steel costs 240,000 C-Bills over standard IS where the XL 300 costs 12,000,000 C-Bills over the standard 300 engine. I gain five tons with the endo-steel where I would gain 9.5 tons with the XL engine. I gain less than double the weight for fifty times the cost.

As for the XL Gyro it does not gain me all that much but it gave me what I needed. The XL Gyro gained me 1.5 tons for the cost of 900,000 C-Bills.

Endo steel cost me 48,000 C-Bills for each ton
XL Gyro cost me 600,000 C-Bills for each ton
The XL engine would cost me 1,263,158 C-Bills for each ton.

As for the weapons all three have very good range and the ERLLs has no minimum range and the Gauss Rifle only has a minimum range of two and who in their right mind will get within kicking range of a 100 ton mech? It can completely destroy a 30 ton mechs undamaged leg or strip all armor protection from a 40 ton mechs leg with one kick. With two kicks it can completely destroy a 55 ton mechs leg or strip all armor protection from a 95 ton mechs leg.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
12/16/16 03:19 AM

After being gone for a good part of a year I decided to be a royal pain in the donkey by bringing up my old posts from the morgue and set loss some old post zombies. *Evil braying!!!*

I will see you again in another year or so

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4969

Contact Admins Sarna.net