Firefly and Battletech

Pages: 1
Ironnerd
08/26/15 10:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am a pretty big fan of both Firefly/Serenity and Battletech/MechWarrior. I was re-watching Firefly last night and it dawned on me; Firefly is the best presentation of the Succession War Era of Battletech I have ever seen!

Just an odd thought, really.
happyguy49
08/27/15 05:31 AM

I would say it's Star League era... in the decade or two after the Reunification War. In my analogy, the Star League is the rich, prosperous, powerful, victorious Alliance; the veteran members of the crew of the Firefly would be like some Taurian regular military who never surrendered and became smugglers/pirates.

Succession wars would be much more fractious on the government level than the Firefly universe.
ghostrider
08/27/15 10:20 AM

Just to mix it up, this sort of situation could happen at any point for a number of reasons. It seems you always have people willing to play with lives when they are rich, powerful like regional managers for the star league. It can be covered us kinda of easy if you know how. Most pirates or rebels seem to have on thing. They tend to be people that were screwed over by power, but had none to begin with. So they are ripe to be abused.

Now who are you going to believe? The regional baron/duke, or a couple of low life nobodies that have a criminal record? Hell the entire planet might support the rebels, but can't do much to help them as they are controlled by the baron/duke thru food imports and such.

But I can see the feel of it. The biggest issue with Firefly, that I have seen, is the lack of mechs. They use machines, but not much in the mech form.
Ironnerd
08/31/15 10:26 PM

There is a scene from the pilot, when they are on Persephone picking up Book, River, and Simon. There are containers all over the place. A little band of thugs. A few security troopers kinda hanging around... Reminded me a lot of the art in the old battletech books. Like Laubenstein could have drawn it.

It also got me thinking that a real Battletech Series (made for grown-ups) could actually work - Firefly done the impossible... Maybe one day Battletech will as well.
ghostrider
09/01/15 02:41 AM

What you describe sounds like a commercial spaceport where the cargo is being handled. Maybe an army depot as well.
The feel could very well be made into a working (movie/tv series) that is good for grown ups.
They problem that I can see is continuity. The bigger badder enemies and such, runs into the issues of coming up with the next threat greater then the last one to make the story even grander. That sort of thinking killed alot of good series, star gate 1 was one of those, as well as star trek next generation. They ran out of ideas because once you save the galaxy from the one bad ****, another one will not pop up over night, and if it does, then you have a serious problem.
Invaders from another galaxy is possible, but it calls into question if there are so many galactic empires out there, why haven't they been trying to destroy each other.

I could see this working as a war story without the super weapons coming into play. You do not need the deathstar to win a battle or a planet. But for some stupid reason, stories seem to come down to that.
Done right, you could have a lifetime of 'shows' and never really go past the simple life. Simple things could change the outcome of a battle very easily. It might be worth looking into it. Then again, it might be a nightmare with all the copyrights and things that come up.
Ironnerd
09/01/15 10:36 PM

If you ever get the chance watch "Armored Trooper VOTOMs", and "Mellowlink". Votoms are like Protomechs. Mellowlink is just a guy with a gun who takes out VOTOMs. His big bad guys are still pretty much just people - and women...

Chirico Cuvie (the character in VOTOMS) has difficulties with gangs, crooked cops, the church, and even the military - and a giant sentient computer on a planet infested with sand worms.

Point - war can be the setting, but need not bee all the story.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4837

Contact Admins Sarna.net