More Dakka! Marauder LBX

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
09/01/15 07:03 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is an arena dueling 'Mech I've been trying. It's actually an outgrowth of tanks, of all things. One of my regular gamers fell in love with VTOLs mounting a large pulse lasers and targeting computers. Since we're mostly arranging games by BV (using our old standby of tonnage was getting too uneven), I came up with what I called my "Bug Swatter," a 30-ton track that had an LB10X and not much else. This evened the battle the battle because LB10X Flak > VTOL movement mods. BV? 465 with a standard crew, cheap as snot.

I was mostly thinking of killing VTOLs with the Bug Swatter, but since other gamers in these arena duels had non-VTOLs I had to turn the LB10X on them and...wow. LB10Xs murderlize any vehicle, even those with hardened armor and armored motive systems. So, that led to the Bug Swatter II: two LB10Xs.

Naturally, I was thinking about the Bug Swatter III when a 'Mech duel was proposed. Another of my gamers likes crit finders, too, and has built a series of Streak SRM platforms, so I wanted to out range him while getting some variety from my medium laser/PPC combos that I put on too many 'Mechs. Epiphany: a 'Mech with 3 LB10X autocannons! Thus the Marauder variant below.

But...

Performance has been largely disappointing. First, I overestimated the utility of crit finders against 'Mechs. Me and Mr. Streak had had some good luck with our Streak platforms, but those were supported by hole-punching bigger guns. Then we went through our vehicle phase, where crit finders are instant death. This, I suspected, created an observational bias for me.

In several games against 'Mechs, this Marauder has only sanded down targets without many glorious crits. I mean, there was one protracted battle where I eventually knocked out an opposing pilot, but that's because I also had another LBX 'Mech (a Rifleman variant) and was supported by two Streak platforms and the target kept falling and injuring the pilot.

Meanwhile, this Marauder is rather fragile against 'Mechs of equal value. The armor's not bad, but the XL engines result in it dying a few turns faster than an SFE zombie. The big ammo bin isn't bad; I haven't seen it blow up yet and the CASE II keeps that damage down. Embarrassingly, a horde of Savannah Masters (equal value) almost took it down. If we hadn't been using a rigid definition of the edge of the board, I would've been done because three of his hovers skidded off the board. The remainder had stripped open my right side and a freak shot killed my gyro by the time I finally won. However, kicking Savannah Masters is extremely fun. Punt!

I'm going to try this Marauder for a couple more games, but with some solid shot in addition to cluster. Then I'm going back to bigger guns. I have a feeling that LPPCs have some potential. They're like medium laser spam at twice the range.

Code:

MAD-LBX MARAUDER

Mass: 75 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped

Chassis: Boneyard Special
Power Plant: 300 VLAR
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: None
Armor: Durallex Heavy
Armament:
3 Dakka Dakka 120mm LB10X Autocannons
2 Pewpew ER Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: Arena Goons
Communications System: HartfordCo COM 4000
Targeting and Tracking System: HartfordCo XKZ 1

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo Structure 114 points 4.00
Engine: XL Fusion Engine 340 27.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 10 [20] 0.00
Heat Sink Locations: NA
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Standard AV - 216 13.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 23 30
Center Torso (rear) 7
L/R Torso 16 24
L/R Torso (rear) 7
L/R Arm 12 24
L/R Leg 16 30

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LB-10X RA 2 5 11.00
LB-10X LA 2 5 11.00
LB-10X RT 2 5 11.00
Ammo (LB10X) 60 LT 0 6 6.00
CASE II LT 0 1 1.00
ER Medium Laser RA 5 1 1.00
ER Medium Laser LA 5 1 1.00

Endo Crits: 2 LA, 1 LT, 2 LL, 2 CT, 2 RL, 3 RT, 2 RA

BV: 1643
Cost: 16.7 million CB with alloy rims

Edited by Cray (09/02/15 06:39 PM)
Drasnighta
09/01/15 08:55 PM

Yes, even if you want to go Cluster-Cluster-Cluster, you want just 1 or 2 tons of Slug to punch those holes first... Otherwise you are just sanding.

So it totally looks like you're on the ball already for my basic level of suggestions.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
ghostrider
09/01/15 09:21 PM

Well there are times when simply destroying a unit with straight thru punch is always a good thing. Mechs tend to be one of them.

I know I will probably get some feedback with this, but have you thought up upgrading one of the 10s to a 20? Maybe a variant to support the others? Might keep your streak buddy away from your unit. Granted ecm does the same thing.
Or even go with the silver bullet gauss rifle?

And any REAL warrior knows to go with the gold inlay, not alloy. Sheesh.
Karagin
09/01/15 11:41 PM

This looks like it would be murder in a city fight, and most vehicles will be trying to drop it or run.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
09/02/15 01:33 AM

Ok, need to ask. Is the ammo crits a typo? 0 crits for 6 bins isn't right.

Seen it after looking again. Crits and heat are backwards.
Picky, but needs to be pointed out. Arm armor is 1 point over.
And without knowing the difference in case II, I would ask why 6, when only one location for ammo is shown.
Maurer
09/02/15 01:40 AM

Have you considered dropping down to 2 LBX-10s with a large laser or PPC? With the extra about 5 tons, you could add a Streak system or SRM. Or what about switching to dual or triple LB-5X's for increased range and a set of jump jets increasing mobility
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
CrayModerator
09/02/15 06:46 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Ok, need to ask. Is the ammo crits a typo? 0 crits for 6 bins isn't right.

Ammo also doesn't usually generate 6 heat.

I think I fixed it, crits, heat, and armor. The armor was wonky because that was the armor of my Battlemaster I posted a few months ago. I got done correcting the internal structure and forgot to change the armor.

Quote:
I know I will probably get some feedback with this, but have you thought up upgrading one of the 10s to a 20?

I can't do that without giving up too much. You'd need 3 more tons for the 14-ton weapon, then a separate ammo bin. Also, I like the 18 range of the LB10Xs. More specifically, the range bands are very nice: short of 6, medium of 12. The fights I've been in tend to condense to 1 board and very soon everything's in medium range. A class-20 would still be long range quite often.

But if I could find some tonnage for jump jets, I'd be all over that. I was just in a bad spot because my Marauder+Rifleman pair couldn't move around terrain and allies fast enough.

Definitely going to have to get some solid shot in. The question is, 2 tons or 3 tons?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
09/02/15 07:52 PM

Hate to say it Cray, but the stats in the second part have issues. A 75 ton mech moves 4. 300 engine in first part of stats, but 340 rating 27 ton engine in the second part of the stats?
The mech is right for the 300 xl weight.
I was hoping you had some extra weight, but don't.

As for the ammo issue, I would think that depends on the combat you think you are doing. Little over 6 rounds with 2, or 10 rounds with 3. Vehicles, definitely 2 tons of solid. Mechs should get 3.

Too bad you don't have clantech. Then you would have the little extra you were looking for.
CrayModerator
09/04/15 10:59 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Hate to say it Cray, but the stats in the second part have issues. A 75 ton mech moves 4. 300 engine in first part of stats, but 340 rating 27 ton engine in the second part of the stats?

Did you see my earlier comment about copying-and-pasting from a Battlemaster?

Add up the numbers in the edited post. It passed the software check, but my Sarna editorial skills suck.
4 ton endo steel
9.5 tons 300 XL
6 tons gyro/cockpit
13.5 tons armor = 33 tons
3xLB10Xs = 66 tons
6 tons ammo
1 ton CASE II
2 tons ER MLs = 75 tons

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
09/05/15 05:19 AM

The very next line after your quote says that the mech was correct with the 300xl weight.

And that will teach you to cut and paste.

Still an interesting take on the mech. Guess when people decide to run with the 'ultimate' units, you have to get creative to beat them without running mirror images of them.
CarcerKango
09/05/15 03:02 PM

Love LBX's and I love this design. Good combo, although I do like Maurer's idea of swapping one cannon for a PPC or ERLL or something. Would be the inverse of the orginal MAD actually, lol. 2 Ballistics and 1 Energy instead of the twin-ppc ac/5 combo.
CrayModerator
09/07/15 12:48 AM

Quote:
Love LBX's and I love this design. Good combo, although I do like Maurer's idea of swapping one cannon for a PPC or ERLL or something. Would be the inverse of the orginal MAD actually, lol. 2 Ballistics and 1 Energy instead of the twin-ppc ac/5 combo.

It has been tempting to ditch the torso LBX for a heavy PPC. That's a hole-puncher that would free 3 tons of weapon and ammo for DHS.

ghostrider
09/07/15 03:46 AM

I would suggest you try it out. It may work out better or it may need some tweaking.

You could also get some other weapons and add in your jets you were talking about. Maybe a few streak packs. Though I know you said this was to counter your buddies going crazy with them and pulse weapons.
Maybe upgrade the ermls to erlls. Would heat up some, but might give you the range to keep them moving.
Could really mess with them and downgrade one of the cannons to an lb-2x. Just to show they are always in range

Just let us know what you do, and how it performed.
happyguy49
09/07/15 04:27 PM

Quote:
Cray writes:

It has been tempting to ditch the torso LBX for a heavy PPC. That's a hole-puncher that would free 3 tons of weapon and ammo for DHS.

I soooo agree. The IS heavy PPC is actually a really cool gun... put a capacitor on it and you can do TWENTY damage! With no ammo to worry about. Plus of course the classic Marauders had PPCs.
RockJock
10/11/15 10:47 PM

This might be an odd approach, but have you tried this with lighter 5 point punchers? I was thinking several (3-4) Light PPCs. They don't have the punch of a Heavy, but they still take decent chuncks out of more locations.
CrayModerator
10/12/15 06:24 PM

Quote:
RockJock writes:

This might be an odd approach, but have you tried this with lighter 5 point punchers? I was thinking several (3-4) Light PPCs. They don't have the punch of a Heavy, but they still take decent chuncks out of more locations.

I've got some 'Mechs built around LPPC spam, including (not posted here) Marauder and Rifleman variants with 6 LPPCs. I also got an Awesome variant published in XTRO:Marik with 8 LPPCs and 4 capacitors.

Shadrak
10/12/15 08:51 PM

I think the light PPC makes the Rifleman (3025) a legit fire support mech...

2 AC-5's and 2 Light PPC...5 Damage each (lose 3 damage from Large Laser but gain 3 hexes in range)...use weight savings for HS and armor.

Unfortunately, there was no light PPC in 3025.
RockJock
10/12/15 11:46 PM

No problem Cray. I didn't know you had already gone that far down the Light Lightning Thrower path.

Scatter guns have their uses, but I have always found it hard to use them as a main, stand alone weapon. That being said, one of the favorite custom designs I've used was a "Royal" Victor built around a Snubbie and a LBX scatter gun in place of the old AC/20. Better range, and better crit finding.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8425

Contact Admins Sarna.net