ammunition questions

Pages: 1
ghostrider
10/01/15 03:16 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
To avoid changing the current conversation on another thread, I figured to start a new one with something that I would like an answer to dealing with ammunition.

The streak launcher has extra equipment to guarantee a lock, but yet the ammunition is no different then a normal srm round before the lrms came out. I do not have the stats for the streak lrms, but I believe if follows the same issues.

I know they have some differences, other then cost, but the size, shape, weight, seems to be the same as the standard srm round. This appears to be true of all the advance rounds for the srm, including the narc equipped ones as well.

How is this possible?

They do the same damage, without extra weight for the guidance systems, which they would need especially for the narc. Not the pod itself, but the actual missiles fired to home in on it.
And since the streaks can be fired without a lock, being treated as normal srms in things like ecm areas, it has to have some sort of extra targeting systems in it.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
10/01/15 06:30 AM

The difference might be in the software miniaturized hardware. That would explain the doubling of the cost of the ammunition.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
10/01/15 12:27 PM

The cost isn't a big thing, as not only more advanced, but less on the market would cover that without much of an issue.

As for the others, I would think that would mean either you could have reduced the size of normal srm rounds, or increased they efficiency by some with using a lesser version of that set up.

And I didn't think of it at first, but the Swarm Lrm would definitely need more equipment on it, as it does change full directions and have a more advanced targeting system in it, for the same size, range, damage, weight and such.

The one thing that did pop into my head when thinking this is ease of accounting. 100 missiles per ton for srms, having to reduce that would cause a few issues because of a larger missile. Same with lrms, though the elrm they finally did something with that.

And why have they not come up with a heavier or lighter versions of the missile systems?
Yes the atm and mml are different. but that could be accomplished by using the same sized missile being fired from the tubes.
Maurer
10/06/15 04:04 AM

I would think Streak missiles simply have a more advanced internal guidance system that is able to fit in to the same space as a the guidance system of a standard missile, increasing it's costs and (near-perfect) hit probability.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
ghostrider
10/06/15 01:30 PM

It sounds a little weird that the guidance system would fit into the same shell, but it should add weight to it.
But going with that, would that mean at least the clans should have ammunition for the launchers that hit more often without being streaks, since they should have researched a better guidance system that is not full streak?
Or do more damage?
I would believe there is a couple of improvements between the standard ammunition and a streak that would fit into their cutting waste, since a missile that misses is wasted.

I don't know why, but I imagine missiles to have the propellant, and warhead with minimal guidance on them, almost like a rocket, but they do track versed being like a slug in flight as I imagine a rocket would be. I would think everything about the ammunition is tight to reduce size and keep weight down.

Which also brings to mind.
Is the current ammunition the same stuff the league used?

I don't see why it would be exact, since they should have had better munitions then the 'stone age' of the 3000's time line.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4519

Contact Admins Sarna.net