Left 2 15
Rear 2 10

Weapons Loc Heat
Plasma Rifle FR 10

Ammo Loc Shots
Plasma Rifle Ammo BD 10

----

Note:The vehicles shown are not based upon any CBT faction or events

Crossroads designed a design competition for a new type of military combat vehicle to fulfill the role of a relatively cheap yet speedy vehicle armed with an effective weapons platform for use against varieties of targets, with battle-armor and infantry targets specifically mentioned. The vehicle role, "Mobile Assault Guns" (MAGs for short), were to be designed to supplement infantry and battle-armor groups with mobile, effective multipurpose firepower. Weapon selection was to be open-ended but vehicle speed and cost factors, combined with the required weapon effectiveness, strictly narrowed down the options.

Two designs, the Tusk and the Lance, were finalists. Both had their merits and instead of having one clear victor both ended up co-produced in-part because they shared the same power plant. Tusks and Lances, with their ease-of-production, quickly filled the ranks of garrison, defensive and mechanized infantry formations. The rapid production quickly produced a glut of spare MAGs in the Crossroadian Armed Forces. The top brass sensed a way to make a quick buck out of these extra MAGs and encouraged the industries to shift their production towards simplified export models, which differed primarily by electronics and a shift from HFF to Standard armor. These vehicles were huge hits on the export markets, especially in more wealthy periphery factions which could afford to fund the ammunition to operate them.

The Lance is the lighter and faster of the two MAGs and only requires a single pilot/gunner. The export variant has enough armor to withstand an AC/10 hit from the side and an ERPPC from the front... once. The armament chosen is a lightweight Plasma Cannon which possesses impressive range and infantry-killing potential. However, it lacks the ability to directly damage Battlemechs whatsoever, making the Lance an unpopular choice with units who expect to face them.

The Tusk is the heavier and hardier of the two MAGs and requires a separate driver and gunner. The export variant has enough armor to withstand a direct ERPPC hit from both the sides and front. The heavier chassis allowed for equipping of a Plasma Rifle, a weapon with less range but overall more killing potential in general. The Tusk is the more popular MAG on the export market because qualifying two separate people for two separate jobs is easier than training one for both like in the Lance crew configuration and the cannon can still directly damage Battlemechs.
CarcerKango
10/22/15 09:23 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Neat, very cost-effective and useful. I'd want my ground pounders backed up by these guys.
ghostrider
10/22/15 01:47 PM

Definitely looks good. Almost a savanha master on steroids.
The only weakness I could see is the ammo situation. The speed should keep it from being hit, probably allowing it to run out of ammo in the field. Looks like 10 shots total

Now don't have a heart attack, but I would say this is a good unit. Not something you hear from me.
Reiter
10/23/15 08:43 AM

Code:
          BattleTech Vehicle Technical Readout
* CUSTOM WEAPON

Type/Model: Untitled
Tech: Mixed Tech / 3060
Config: Hovercraft
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Mass: 15 tons
Power Plant: 65 Nissan Fusion (IS)
Cruise Speed: 108.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 162.0 km/h
Armor Type: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
1 Plasma Cannon*(IS)
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Untitled
Mass: 15 tons

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 8 pts Standard 0 1.50
Engine: 65 Fusion 0 2.00
Shielding & Transmission Equipment: 0 1.00
Cruise MP: 10
Flank MP: 15
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 1.00
Crew: 1 Members 0 .00
Lift Equipment: 0 1.50
Armor Factor: 72 pts Ferro-Fibrous (IS) 2 4.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 2 24
Left / Right Sides: 2 18/18
Rear: 2 12

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
1 Plasma Cannon* (IS) Front 0 10 2 4.00
TOTALS: 0 4 15.00
Items & Tons Left: 4 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 676,016 C-Bills
Battle Value: 103
Cost per BV: 6,563.26
Weapon Value: 22 / 22 (Ratio = .21 / .21)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 1; MRDmg = 1; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 10H, Armor/Structure: 0 / 3
Damage PB/M/L: -/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: GL; Point Value: 1

Slight modification, hard to read and understand what I was looking at. What you where using looks like it gives armor locations like a warship because it mashes up Front 2 24 and what the engine was at SFE, I had no idea but 10 is about fast enough for a hover craft. This is a bit slower, but about equal in cost or armor using more standard rules on HMV.

Edited by Reiter (10/23/15 08:47 AM)
Retry
11/05/15 07:31 PM

I went with the 95 engine for standardization purposes. The 95 rated fusion engines are the same on both mobile assault guns and are thus interchangeable. Those extra 2 safe movement points (or three flanking points) I've also found to be extremely useful for maintaining maximum to-hit penalties, especially since the lack of turret can be a pain.
ghostrider
11/05/15 08:50 PM

Would it have been easier to make it an omnivehicle and just put out some varients for it?
Or is the cost going to put that idea in the trash?

It would allow some quick changes to suit a particular mission. Mgs for crowd control while heavier weapons and electronics mix for field operations.
Even sending a mixed lance with some electronics and some heavier weapons would help alot.

But it is just a thought.
Retry
11/20/15 12:03 AM

Why an omnivehicle? Even discarding the cost issue, there's not exactly a whole lot of space to put additional variants on them. Was also under the impression that omnivees had to put their weapons and stuff on a turret.
ghostrider
11/20/15 04:05 AM

Unless they changed it the tro 3060 epona pursuit tank is an omnivehicle that changes not only turret weapons by body ones as well.
Not sure how much it would increase the costs of the unit to go omni, but it would allow you to switch out weapon systems and electronics on the unit instead of having all the variants stored at the base or even having to ship them in.

Granted, I didn't realize the tanks were different weights. Just used the same engine for both. I was under the impression these units were tied in with another set you had posted as well. That is where the omni thought came about.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5551

Contact Admins Sarna.net