Video Ads on The Wiki Pages

Pages: 1
Akalabeth
11/12/15 11:11 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I recently noticed a lot of video-ads on the wiki pages.
Today when I went to browse the wiki, I had not one, not two but THREE flash video ads which were all auto-launched and playing simultaneously.

Sarna.net is an incredible resource but lately visiting for the most simplest of searches has been an utter chore as the ads slow my older computer to a crawl and often outright crash shockwave flash.

I don't really know in what situation three simultaneous ads would be acceptable, but in either event it has certainly dissuaded me from visiting the wiki and is forcing to me look at means to circumvent it.
FrabbyModerator
11/14/15 03:59 AM

Note that if you're a registered user, you can select an ad-free skin to browse the wiki.
BobTheZombieModerator
11/14/15 01:13 PM

I hadn't noticed because of the above perk Frabby mentioned, but now that I look at it with all the ads, I see what you're talking about. It did really slow my computer down. I'll talk to Nic and see if he can make some changes.
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
ghostrider
11/14/15 02:36 PM

So you know, I have had ads stop the program I was using at times. Only thing that ran was the ad. Now that was when I was playing runescape, but I thought you would like to know that.

And it doesn't help when they put cookies in the system. I don't know if the ads here do that, but I have had some issues with others. Youtube sometimes takes a second or two to finish updating their lists, and when you get impatient, you click on the spot, only to see the thing you want drop 2 spaces, and you go someplace completely different. Had to shut down the system in order for it to go back to english, as my spanish is limited to a few bad words.

I hate it, but ads do help with the cost of running the board. Otherwise, I would ask why have them.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
11/16/15 10:44 AM

Thanks for voicing your concerns Akalabeth. We've recently been experimenting with advertising options for the site, which helps keep the site running.

As Frabby says, if you're registered, you can change to the "No Ads" skin to have ads disabled. Also, there are plenty of free ad-blockers out there.

I'm continually experimenting with the ads to see which ones sustainably support the site, without being too obtrusive. Apologies if any of them are interfering with your computer.
-- NicJ
Akirapryde2006
11/16/15 07:38 PM

Okay I am a registered member (I think) but I don't know how to set up the "No Ads" skin

Would anyone mind explaining to me how to set it up?

I too have seen these video ads and have been forced to turn off my sound while reading different things on Sarna.
Drasnighta
11/16/15 11:21 PM

Preferences

Appearances.

Pick one other than "SarnaAdSense"
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Akalabeth
11/18/15 03:25 PM

Quote:
Nic Jansma writes:

Thanks for voicing your concerns Akalabeth. We've recently been experimenting with advertising options for the site, which helps keep the site running.

As Frabby says, if you're registered, you can change to the "No Ads" skin to have ads disabled. Also, there are plenty of free ad-blockers out there.

I'm continually experimenting with the ads to see which ones sustainably support the site, without being too obtrusive. Apologies if any of them are interfering with your computer.

Yeah I understand if you have to put up some ads and can understand if, the page starts to include video ads as they are unfortunately becoming all too common place. My real issue was the fact is that I was getting the same ad playing two or three times simultaneously on the same page (or more likely, out of sync and thus just a huge amount of background noise)
Nic JansmaAdministrator
01/30/16 12:51 PM

There shouldn't be any sound-playing ads. If that happens, can you take a screenshot and share it with me? Sounds-playing ads are banned from the ad networks I use.

It's possible, if you're seeing sound-playing ads, that you have another browser extension (or malware) installed that is replacing my ads with ads from the malware, including sound. I would suggest running a malware/anti-virus scanner if you can.
-- NicJ
Akalabeth
02/25/16 04:33 AM

Okay thanks I'll keep an eye out.
I know looking at the page generally cause me some trouble wherever I am. Just looked up a random page at home and my CPU cranked up on just say a random mech page. Wasn't a video though, just some animated ads this time.

At work, with Firefox on Linux checking out sarna will regularly crash the browser. Though I know the FF there is not up to date as they're supporting Chrome instead.

I regularly run malwarebyte anti-malware and SUPERAntispyware free editions. But being free they're not exactly the premium choice. Haven't had major problems though
EGG
02/25/16 05:18 AM

Hi

I registered to say this, I've had to turn adblocker back on for this domain (I had it off so you guys could acquire the ad hits) as there's something in the ads here that brutalizes cpu on my i7 for 20+ seconds at a time as Akalabeth has mentioned above. I'm using the latest version of chrome (48.0.2564.116 m). It's often just as bad on mobile (Android, forget which version).

On another note, thanks for coming back from the dead around 04/05, I vaguely remember you guys disappeared for quite a few months back then and I was worried you were gone with a bunch of other battletech sites from those times.
Akalabeth
02/26/16 06:10 AM

Yeah I dunno what's going on:

#1 The website claims I'm using adblocker, though I've never done so, the ads say:

"It looks like you're using an ad-blocker. That's cool. If you enjoy using this site, please consider a Bitcoin or a Paypal donation, or you can hide this message for 100 days via a cookie."

#2 Some ads aren't displayed, it will instead say

"The owner of cdn.adgear.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

#3 Tonight I saw a few videos playing. One ad for television show and another for some investment something. But they didn't have sound even though people were being interviewed. They obviously should have had sound. I did take a screenshot but apparently failed to save it.

Edited by Akalabeth (02/26/16 06:16 AM)
Nic JansmaAdministrator
04/12/16 10:41 AM

I'm continuing to look into this and experiment with different ad providers. If you see any ads that you can tell are slowing down the site, please let me know!
-- NicJ
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7909

Contact Admins Sarna.net