anti virus (not to thread jack the shadow hawk design)

Pages: 1
ghostrider
12/15/15 11:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The lack of anti virus software comes from things like no funds to get some.
And where it is very likely to pick up viruses, the limited number of web sites I go to does help keep that down.

The explanation of why I am leery of downloading attachments was a way for others to avoid having to explain why they like to see stats of units on this forums and not have to download anything.
I doubt we will get anything from said downloads, but it is a pain to have to download the file every time you want to look at it for some reason. Yes, it hurts my finger to click on the mouse so often. I don't want to wear the mouse out on forums. I would prefer to save it for games.

But that was only a request. It was not a demand or order. If it happens, great. If not, that does not mean I will be upset because it didn't happen.
Karagin
12/16/15 08:11 PM

AVG has a free deal as do many of the compaines, so I would suggest that. As for malware etc...yeah anything can have that.

If I want to download something, then I am going to scan the hell out of it before opening it and even then I am very leery of a lot of things.

I agree it takes less time to cut and paste and hit submit then it does to do the whole attachment thing.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
12/18/15 01:21 PM

There are multiple free anti-virus programs. Most are used as advertising for the improved, purchased versions, but they get the job done. Here's a very recent comparison of the options:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

As I mentioned in the Shadow hawk thread, Windows also offers free security software, but it is Windows-specific and might not be available for XP.

It's important to note that if you have anything but a dial-up telephone modem, then you're vulnerable to malware. The most common forms do wait for you to download files or go to naughty websites, but fancy malware looks for open internet connections and finds your computer no matter what you do. The average connection time current runs at about 5 minutes for a PC before a worm finds your computer, and Linux and Mac computers are usually attacked within a few hours.

This is a very dated study - the internet is far more aggressive now.
https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram/archives/2001/0615.html#1

Other sources:
https://isc.sans.edu/survivaltime.html
http://blog.gothamtg.com/2012/06/20/whats-your-internet-survival-time/

If you've been on the internet without anti-virus software, then all your safety efforts are about as useful as wearing a condom for safe sex while sharing unwashed heroine needles with a few dozen people.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (12/18/15 01:33 PM)
ghostrider
12/18/15 01:31 PM

I had avg and it was good for a while, but seemed to not like irc. Ran a scan and listened to the suggestion to remove the 'virus' from the system. Never was able to use chat properly again.

As for windows security. It is good. The issue I have with it is not trusting microsoft to thoroughly test their product. Too many times they had to patch a patch that should not have been put out.
I have said it before and will again. WIndows is the most popular unfinished software on the market, and lately other companies are following suit. Brand new game. Needs a patch. Oh sorry, but you can't play it without the patch, so you HAVE to get online or buy the new version.
Yes, other anti virus programs are running into issue, like putting out flawed software. So I am not saying microsoft is the only one.

I understand trying to defend the attachments to threads as it is up to the person to do it they way they want when posting. I did not demand they do so, but the request to post it normally may have seemed that way.

And I did get some anti virus for christmas. Still haven't installed it yet.
BobTheZombieModerator
12/21/15 02:50 PM

I have had AVG for a while and I like it. If it "finds" something wrong that isn't really bad, you can always tell it to ignore it or put it on a whitelist. And I highly doubt anyone would try putting something evil in an attachment at sarna, seeing how few people it could effect. Also, if it's a user that's been pretty trustworthy, I'd say their attachments would be as well.
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5451

Contact Admins Sarna.net