Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
4 (CL) ER Large Lasers
1 Angel ECM
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 152 points 5.00
Internal Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 3 LA, 2 RA
Engine: XL Engine 400 26.50
Walking MP: 4 (5)
Running MP: 6 (10)
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: (CL) Double Heat Sink 24(48) 14.00
Heat Sink Locations: 4 LT, 1 RT, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Gyro: Compact 6.00
Cockpit: Torso-Mounted 4.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
TSM Locations: 3 LA, 3 RA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 307 19.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 47
Center Torso (rear) 15
L/R Torso 21 32
L/R Torso (rear) 10
L/R Arm 17 34
L/R Leg 21 42

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 (CL) ER Large Lasers HD 48 4 16.00
Supercharger CT - 1 3.00
Angel ECM RT 0 2 2.00
(CL) Targeting Computer RT - 4 4.00
Mech Head Turret CT - 1 0.00
Free Critical Slots: 3

This one is a munchy oddball but was fun to conceptualize. (it will get munchier yet!)

100 tons, 4/6 movement, until TSM kicks in, then its 5/8, and with the supercharger, brings that up to 10 MP! VERY VERY fast for its weight. This is like an "Assault-Brawler-Raider". Especially with two fully articulated arms (can carry quite a bit of loot.) The Jihad-era Quickdraw here ( http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Quickdraw QKD-8X) inspired me to make a similar assault class. With all weapons in the head turret via a torso cockpit, compact gyro, freeing up four head slots. The head turret has four Clan ER Large Lasers, accurized with a targeting computer, with a 360 degree field of fire. (there's no meaningful way to flank this thing) Add to that very long range damage the possibility of two TWENTY POINT damage triple-strength-myomer punches for close range mayhem. Max armor, Angel ECM, enough heat sinks to alpha every round.

ALSO: the odd layout is designed to make use of handheld weapons as does the above-cited experimental Quickdraw and a tiny handful of other designs. With TSM active you have twenty tons to experiment with! Here are some potential packages:

HAG 40: 16 tons, 3 tons ammo (9 shots), 1 ton armor

Thumper Artillery Piece: 15 tons, 4 tons ammo, (80 shots!), 1 ton armor. Makes Armstrong a fast long ranged artillery unit that can harry or wear down from a distance anything it can't catch.

Arrow IV: 12 tons, 7 tons ammo, (35 shots) 1 ton armor. As above, but more damage.

Ultra AC/20: 12 tons, 7 tons ammo (35 shots, half that firing in Ultra mode) 1 ton armor.

TEN iATM 3's: 15 tons, 4 tons ammo (one of ER, two short range, one improved inferno (mwahaha) 1 ton armor.

As you can see this gets pretty ridiculous as far as possible damage, 40 from the lasers plus the above possible handheld weapons make this probably the munchiest design I've yet made. No need for handheld weapons to track heat unless they are energy weapons, and no space limitations.

With no weapons in the arms or in any torso location, an Armstrong can fire four ER LL and also its handheld weapon, and move at considerable speed.

(you can get even more ridiculous, with only a tonnage limit. How about THIRTY NINE Rocket Launcher 10s, and a half ton of armor. Or, SEVENTY Light Machineguns, two tons of ammo, half ton armor.... it occurs to me that the rules for Handheld Weapons may need some adjustment lol)
ghostrider
12/26/15 07:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
With a mech with this speed, I would think lots of in close weapons would be the way to go, instead of the erlls.

I would say the long range stuff like the thumper is counter productive for getting in close, but that is kinda of given. I would like to see an axe or sword for this. Use the speed to remove mech heads with a single swing.

This might be a terror if you had dual ultra 20s getting in close, but can't heat up without using them, so kind of after the fact idea.

The lack of criticals might be the biggest issue with changing the weapons, though you could drop a few sinks and really scare someone with streaks.

Granted, if I were driving something like this, I think I would prefer sitting in the head instead of the lasers. Less likely to be killed quickly.

Still an interesting thought.
I like the mg idea. How many potential crits do you think you can get with that?
(Evil smile)
Retry
12/27/15 01:11 AM

Since the head turret takes up a crit slot, and all the ER LL takes up a crit slot each, and the head needs 2 crit slots worth of sensors using a torso-mounted cockpit, how'd you get the 4th laser to fit? Fairly certain that you're lacking in one head crit.

Impressive mech, but it's possibly one of the most expensive XL engined platforms I've ever seen. I'd certainly call it very unique, specifically when it comes to the design mentality. If it weren't for the 40 million cost, I'd say it was an excellent example of combining niche and somewhat exotic equipment to get an interesting final result. But... as stated before, it's expensive, and utilizing its full mobility comes with a risk of damaging this extremely expensive war machine.
CrayModerator
12/27/15 12:30 PM

I'd try it in a duel. I've had fun with some arena battles using unusually fast 'Mechs for their tonnage.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
happyguy49
12/28/15 10:04 PM

I double checked and Armstrong, as above is illegal; specifically, one of SSW's several bugs, it seems, is that it doesn't properly account for battlemech turret weight. (in this case, a turret mounting 16 tons of lasers, should be 1.6, rounded up to nearest half ton, 2.0 tons.)

Changing the Angel ECM to a regular ECM, and changing internal structure to Endo-Composite (clan) and armor to Ferro-Fibrous (clan) uses up all available crits, and frees up two tons. (which is what the turret mechanism needs.) Still has max armor points, etc. Not much different.

Armstrong

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-A
Production Year: 0
Cost: 43,113,333 C-Bills
Battle Value: 3,754

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Composite
Power Plant: Unknown 400 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h (54.0 km/h)
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h (108.0 km/h)
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
4 (CL) ER Large Lasers
1 ECM Suite
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Equipment Type Rating Mass
Internal Structure: Endo-Composite 152 points 7.50
Internal Locations: 1 LT, 2 LA, 1 RA
Engine: XL Engine 400 26.50
Walking MP: 4 (5)
Running MP: 6 (10)
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: (CL) Double Heat Sink 24(48) 14.00
Heat Sink Locations: 4 LT, 2 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL
Gyro: Compact 6.00
Cockpit: Torso-Mounted 4.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
TSM Locations: 2 LA, 4 RA
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 307 16.00
Armor Locations: 4 LA, 3 RA

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 47
Center Torso (rear) 15
L/R Torso 21 32
L/R Torso (rear) 10
L/R Arm 17 34
L/R Leg 21 42

Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
4 (CL) ER Large Lasers HD 48 4 16.00
Supercharger CT - 1 3.00
ECM Suite RT 0 1 1.00
(CL) Targeting Computer RT - 4 4.00
Mech Head Turret CT - 1 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

Ghost, a center torso is more likely to be struck in combat, but much less likely to be penetrated, as it has the most armor of any location. A mechwarrior is safer there (otherwise, one lucky bullcrap Gauss or clan ERPPC headshot means dead mechwarrior, if cockpit is in the head.) I don't think you could rock dual Ultra AC-20s with the speed profile of this machine.. it actually doesnt have much available weight for weapons, because of the giant engine, supercharger, heavier compact gyro, head turret, heavier torso cockpit, etc. This thing needs to be an energy boat; energy weapons are small but need lots of heat sinks, which a giant engine lets you have many of for free (space-wise) Also, you can't carry a Handheld Weapon and also fire any weapons in the arms or any torso location. (thats why all weapons in the Quickdraw X are in the head. One could also use the legs to mount weapons.)

Retry, the way battlemech head turrets work is a little weird, different from the shoulder turrets. Apparently the ONLY way to get one is to mount either a Compact Gyro or a Compact Engine. Because you essentially must have THREE available crits in the center torso. One for the torso cockpit itself, one for sensors, and one for the turret mechanism (shoulder turrets just mount the turret mechanism in the same side torso location; head turret mechanism is actually located in the center torso below the head) the two life support crits go to left and right torsos. That is how you get four available crit slots in the head. (there is another design with an Inner Sphere Heavy PPC in the head (4 crits) using this method, I can't remember which one at the moment.)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4640

Contact Admins Sarna.net