Heavy lifter support fixed wing craft

Pages: 1
Shadrak
12/28/15 11:36 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm trying to design a heavy, strategic airlift vehicle, but I having difficulty determining the rules for additional cargo. Heavy Mech transporter is 70 to and has a 30 ton cargo capacity but can move 100 total tons in a burdened/slow status...anyone know where the rules are for this?

I designing a 200 ton VSTOL with winches design to deliver 1-4 battlements or tanks to the battlefield and also extract them. I have about a 100 ton internal cargo capacity, but if the rules allow for additional cargo 8t would be helpful...I have seen them before, but now all I am finding is external stores and towing rules as well as battlements carrying things.
ghostrider
12/28/15 12:54 PM

Moving 4 mechs? It's called a leopard drop ship.

I had wondered about the transports being 70 tons, yet no limit on a single battle mech. And now with the over 100 tons ones, I guess this would be very important to have answered.

Check any section that deals with cargo carriers. The older books (master rules, and compendium) both say you can carry cargo equal to your tonnage externally, but it slows down a unit dramatically. Not sure if the newer rules mirror this or not. There is no distinction between air craft, ground vehicles and mech. I would think air craft need a certain speed to maintain flight, but haven't seen anything in the rules for that.
So that would mean assuming as long as you have 1 mp, you can fly.
happyguy49
12/28/15 07:15 PM

I know something like that should be legal, check out this neat utility VTOL from TRO 3085, the "Tonbo"

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Tonbo

from the description

"The Tonbo is designed to be able to carry over 112 tons of cargo with its 4 Lift Hoists. The vehicle's powerful fusion engine is reduced to maximum flight speed of 64 km/h while at its maximum lift limit."

the fluff has the DCMS using it to snake premium-level Clantech loot during the campaign to obliterate the Smoke Jaguars... for instance lifting away an entire Mars (that's a 100 ton tank) that is just what I would do haha

Give your conventional cargo carrier jet VTOL thrusters and lift hoists (I don't know the rules) but it should be legal up to, and maybe above, 100 tons of pickup if you design it with that intent.
Shadrak
12/29/15 03:56 PM

Thank you...it should be able to carry about 60 tons with a safe thrust of 8...

Should allow for transport of about 250 tons in burdened status using vstol craft....

Allowing craft to use a helipad and a superheated vehicle bay
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4035

Contact Admins Sarna.net