[MMORPG.COM]"Discussion / $80,000 "stretch goal" for a guy that only produces videos...? wtf?"

Pages: 1
NeverSayNever
08/28/15 06:26 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
"Discussion / $80,000 "stretch goal" for a guy that only produces videos...? wtf?"

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6729669/#Comment_6729669
NeverSayNever
08/28/15 07:14 AM

Welcome to the bizarre world of 'crowd scamming', err, 'crowd scimming', err, crowd funding?

Or: How to create well paid 'jobs' for 'friends and family' with surplus extra funding acquired via additional KickStarter "strech goals"?

at the breakfast table, Bizaarro Land, Crowd Fundia province, Far Far Away:
mom: "You're pretty good at these youtube videos, junior."
junior: "Yeah, mom."
mom: "Junior could use a job, darling."
daddy darling: "Sure, honey. Our KS project could use a talented, young promo videeo director. You got the job, son. Congratulations!"

Ah, the smell of nepotism at its finest and frivolous spending of easy KS momey in the morning...

Dang, stupid job, I should start my own KS project/s, stop worrying about my boring job and hire someone else with some fast and easy KS money to do the daily chores instead.
NeverSayNever
09/13/15 07:19 PM

Old stretch goal completed.

Surprise! New more ambitious stretch goal announced.

Games may run out of conrtent, but will KickStarters ever run out of stretch goals? - No, don't think so.
by_the_sword
01/12/16 11:21 AM

I was in a band that crowd-funded two albums. We kept meeting our stretch goals and kept adding more trinkets and tewgaws to give away. The last album got $11,000.00 worth of donations. About half of that went into oaying for merch with the band logo on it, coins, glasses, t-shirts, and other crap, not to mention the fee we had to pay to kickstarter and then the taxes. So we had about $5500 left over to record the album with. Then the leader of the group decides to record the thing in his house, on his own equipment. Now he was a passable recording engineer, but we could have done all that work without the crowdfunding. The album was "okay-sounding". It all seemed like a waste of time to me. That money could have been spent on an actual studio-produced album. But we got caught up in the whole "success" tidal wave of people giving us money, and we lost sight of our initial goal which was to get help with recording our album.

So f**k crowd funding. From now on, I will only buy an actual product that has been produced.
ghostrider
01/12/16 02:07 PM

The merchandising should have been worried about AFTER the album was done and out. But I can see you said that.

But it does show issues with some people and their ideas to use the money for other things besides the project in hand. Same reason why alot of businesses start going under. Instead of drawing a 'paycheck', most owners start using the company money to pay for everything they want. So when it comes time to paying the business bills, they spent it on the brand new car, or maybe a boat. Next month will be better.

But wait. We can't get in the stuff we need, as our business credit limit was exceeded, so now we have to cut back on things at work. Nothing in their home budgets gets cut, so the cycle continues. Bankruptcy tends to be the golden ring for them, but now, most bankruptcies say you have to pay part to most of the money back.

The airlines are a good example here. The executive board makes soo much money, and they seem to go into bankruptcy ever 20 years or so. To get solvent again, they drop things like employees retirement and benefits, yet some how they pay the executive boards bonuses and give them raises. Alot of the big companies do this on what seems to be a rotating cycle. Long enough for people to forget, yet if I tried anything like it, I would be in jail.

Sad thing is, there are people out there that will and have used the funds for just the project. Problem is, more are willing to try to use this to live on, not do the work.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5317

Contact Admins Sarna.net