Top 5 favorite assault mechs?

Pages: 1
Firestarter
07/18/15 01:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have recently been trying out the Malice and have had lots of fun with it.
So it made me wonder.
What are everyone's favorite assault mechs?

Mine are:
5: Malice
Because its fun.

4: Albatross
Not sure why I like this one so much. Whenever I play it the mech has a tendency to die on me. A lot, but I keep coming back to it.

3: Warhammer
It was my first mech to pilot. Its a good enough reason.

2: Sunder
When Mechwarrior 3 was still running on my old laptop I made a custom loadout with an AC/20 and a few L Lasers. Sadly the laptop broke loosing all of my custom mechs. #NeverForget

1: Warhawk (Masakari)
4 PPCs
On one mech.
'Nuff said.

Edited by Firestarter (07/18/15 01:21 PM)
ghostrider
07/18/15 01:29 PM

You do realize a warhammer is not the assault class mech for weight?
Still a decent choice.

The warhawk is nice with all of its configurations. The 4 ppc one overheats to easily, but if they all hit it is worth it. The 2 ppc 2 large pulse lasers with targeting computers is more heat neutral and is harder to avoid once the pulse lasers start firing.

Haven't really played with the other 3, so couldn't comment either way.

I would think time period would determine part of this question. And honestly, if the clan tech were available to the innersphere, a few upgrade with clan tech would make some serious contenders. The Banshee would be one of them with the dual ppcs.
Firestarter
07/18/15 01:34 PM

Oh, for some reason I thought Warhammer was 80 tons...
Fail.
Firestarter
07/18/15 01:35 PM

I haven't really messed around with a Banshee.
Unless you count the CCG...
Drasnighta
07/18/15 01:37 PM

My absolute favourite from the 3025 era was the BNC-3M.

A horribly overheated design... A Pair of PPCs, a Pair of MLs, and a SL... On something that only has a handful of heat sinks...

BUT, it was 4/6 in a world of 3/5s, with almost max armour, and a pair of punches to die for...

And, being an overheated Banshee - it was most often poorly regarded, and that was a reputation I could use for my advantage.
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
DavidG
07/18/15 10:56 PM

My favorite assault mechs were the Marauder II, Nightstar, Highlander, Turkina, Dire Wolf.
ghostrider
07/19/15 02:24 AM

The original warhammer was 70 tons, though I think the iic was bumped up.

Not sure what the model number is on the banshee, I just like the dual ppc ideas.
Now I am surprised I haven't see the awesome mentioned yet, or the battlemaster.

Still like the atlas though it does have some nasty flaws as was discussed in other threads. The upgrade one with the gauss rifle is nasty, but for some reason, I still think the ac 20 creates more terror. Not like the gauss slug won't rip the head off a mech when it hits is and at a better range then a ppc, but it might just be my bias.
KamikazeJohnson
07/19/15 11:57 PM

Actually never used Asaults a lot, played mostly with Heavies, but here goes...
3025-era stock designs only...

1) Battlemaster.
Mobility + Well Protected + Versatile Firepower + Heat Sinks to Handle It = Nasty Package. Sure it gets outgunned at long range by a lot of other designs, but the overall versatility makes it efective under any conditions.

2) Stalker
Actually a rather poor design, with low speed, weak armour for its size, and poor heat control, but it's still hard not to be impressed by the raw firepower.

3) Atlas
Area Control like nothing else (barring off-board artillery, that is...). As long as the enemy can't flank it and ignore it, that big gun is going to have an effect on the battle. I much prefer the AC/20 over the Gauss on this one, even though the Gauss is actually a much better weapon (except for when it goes BOOM...), but somehow the Atlas just isn't the same without the AC/20.

4) Charger
Surprisingly effective against players who underestimate it, which is anyone who hasn't seen one used properly. Skilled players who give it a suitable degree of respect can neutralize it without too much trouble, but drop your guard for one second and it will have an...er...impact...on the battle.

5) Banshee
Use is actually similar to the Charger, only less extreme. Second-best armour in the TRO:3025, decent power at range, mobility + physicals make it nasty in close. Like the Charger, dismiss it, and it WILL hurt you.

The other Assaults just don't do it for me...
Victor: weak armour, weak secondary weapons
Goliath: just plain weak
Cyclops: tissue paper armour...no thanks
Awesome: deadly. but boring
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/23/15 10:52 AM

I dont really like the published assault mechs. They are heavy just to be heavy they did not really take all that much advantage of their size. I think that the writers did a FAR better job on the heavy class mechs than on the assault class of mechs.

Basically all of the assault class mechs would need to be modified either slightly or entirely to really be what an assault mech should be, something that would make one to need to change ones shorts when the assault mech comes within sight.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
07/23/15 11:12 AM

Heat is the biggest thing that seems to destroy the assault mechs ability to do much. Being slow doesn't help. A warhammer has good firepower compared to alot of the assault mechs. The armor is the main thing I can see, since I would take it over a Zeus or Banshee any day.

Interesting thought struck me with this one. Both mechs are lyran signature mechs and both are undergunned because of the movement.

The battlemaster is an issue with long range duels, even with maxed armor. In close it is tough to beat. I would think for the money, I would take the warhammer or marauder over it as well.
Retry
07/23/15 02:45 PM

Basically what Ghostrider said, the high heat murders IS tech level 1 assaults. The SHS tonnage adds up real quick, and the weapon packages you can equip usually generate lots of heat. The ones that don't generate significant amounts of heat (AC/2, AC/5) are just too heavy for their usefulness anyways.
KamikazeJohnson
07/23/15 10:11 PM

The Battlemaster gains an edge over the Mad and the Whammy with its heat control and much heavier armour. With the exception of highly unfavourable terrain, the Battlemaster obliterates either of them in a duel, possibly without even taking Internals, mainly because they don't have the heat control to sustain firepower while maintaining range. Once the Battlemaster gets inside 6 hexes, its over. In fact, against an inexperienced player, I'd take a Battlemaster against one of each and expect a reasonable chance of victory.

Things are different in a pitched battle. All three designs, if properly handled, should be able to play to their full strength.

Of course, the whole "for your money" is a key phrase. Owing to its larger engine, thr B-Master has a significantly higher price tag. However, with its greater durability, over multiple battles it should easily out-survive its cost in Whammies, thereby being the cheaper option in the long run.

Of course, the 75-ton Battlemaster would probably prove even more cost-effective.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
TigerShark
07/24/15 04:00 AM

Bane 3, Osteon (OmniMech), Rampage RMP-4G, Thug THG-11ECX (Jose), Warhammer IIC
ghostrider
07/24/15 11:48 AM

I do like the direwolf and tarkina as well. Though customizing the direwolf if needed. The configuration of it isn't quite to my liking. The awesome is nice as well, if you don't get swamped.

The IIc's warhammer and marauder are nice. I like the triple ppcs on the Marauder IIC.
CarcerKango
08/07/15 12:52 PM

I feel like the Thug, especially the 11E and 11Eb, are underrated, at least in one-on-one fights. Maneuverable enough to dictate the terms of the engagement, especially at range. I used one to great effect in team battles too in FrontierMUX.
CarcerKango
08/07/15 12:53 PM

Also, Highlander HGN-732 and -733 are nice...in the -733 I one-shotted an Imp on Frontierlands with a cockpit hit. After that I loved it so much.
happyguy49
08/09/15 03:30 PM

HELLSTAR!!!
-four clan-tech ER PPC's with 30 double heat sinks. 60 points of damage output EVERY TURN. Enough said.

Stalker 2: that thing would be a complete **** to put down. 27 tons of hardened armor, standard engine, torso mounted cockpit. It is somewhat underarmed but its ELRM's are the longest-ranged non-artillery weapon in the game. (max range of 38!)

Turkina B, all those lasers, including pulse lasers, AND a targeting computer. Super accurate and no ammo to worry about.

Supernova of course, because 6 ER large lasers is ridiculous.. but it can't actually shoot them all more than every other turn or so, or it melts.

Thunder Hawk makes me smile, triple gauss rifles it means it will die fast once some armor is gone and a gauss gets critted, but until that happens it does a LOT of damage out to a good range.
by_the_sword
12/13/15 01:19 PM

This is all 3039-level tech as things get pretty convoluted at higher tech levels.

1) VTR-9B Victor. While armor is not great, the ability to jump makes this Assault 'mech more versatile than others of it's class. I have a thing for 'mechs that jump. I guess I should love the Marauder II more but I have never had the good fortune to run one in a game. The VTR's weakness is it's lack of long range firepower. So long as you have something to hide behind until you can close with an enemy you should be good to go.

2) AS7-D Atlas, big, slow, heavily armored and with an AC20 that makes someone roll a PSR every time it hits. What's not to love? With an LRM20 for those pesky opponents who refuse to close it is an all around fun 'mech to play. I love the look too.

3) STK-3F Jagawen Variant. Swapping the two LRM10's for two more SRM6's makes this mech something you really don't want to close with. I don't know about you, but there's nothing more frustrating than watching some dude in a Locust kick your assault 'mech to death. If you can get your back against the wall, this should not happen. If you can't get your back against a wall, you can flip your arms over and use the Large Lasers to fire into your rear arc. It's a small consolation but it can hurt those small, fast 'mechs. You have no long-range capabillity in this 'mech.

4) LGB-7Q Longbow. Lots and lots and lots of LRM's. Rain death upon your enemies from across the board (or at least inconvenience them with those pesky LRM5's). This 'mech is the antithesis of the STK-F Jagawen or the Victor as you almost want to close in and neutralize those LRM's. Have something meaty close by to handle that and you can control the battlefield.

5) CGR-1A1 Charger, Don't laugh! ...okay go agead, laugh. I find the idea of a lightly armed "fast" 80-ton 'mech to be highly ridiculous. It almost begs you to shoot at it as it's not really fast enough to give serious penalties to targeting rolls. Put your worst mechwarrior in it and give him a chance to redeem himself. And while he's running up to get into Small Laser or physical attack range, and drawing fire the whole time, you can move your more effective units into place. At BV:981 you're practically wasting the points by not buying it. Add some comedy relief to your company and boost morale. Buy a Charger today!
bronxir
01/11/16 11:42 AM

Quote:
Firestarter writes:

Oh, for some reason I thought Warhammer was 80 tons...
Fail.

Look at the thug. 80 tonner warhammer.

My favorite is the Gargoyle by far. such insane speed, and with high amounts of clan armor, stick it in a knife fighter role, not much will be able to come out alive. (fave mech in MWO)
by_the_sword
01/14/16 01:16 PM

Has anyone ever had much luck with the Daboku? I used one in a couple of sessions and it was highly effective as a sniper/fire support 'mech. It doesn't fare well if people start to pay attention to it though.
Akirapryde2006
01/15/16 06:42 PM

Quote:
by_the_sword writes:

Has anyone ever had much luck with the Daboku? I used one in a couple of sessions and it was highly effective as a sniper/fire support 'mech. It doesn't fare well if people start to pay attention to it though.

I have never used it in a combat setting. Though once I am done play testing my new warship designs I will give it a run.

before even stepping in to the cockpit, I have to say it looks like a nice fire support mech.

Akirapryde
ATN082268
01/16/16 05:16 AM

I'd say my top 5 Assault 'Mechs are:

1. Awesome (3025)

2. Atlas (3025)

3. Masakari- C

4. Turkina- B

5. Kingfisher- C
Karagin
01/16/16 12:02 PM

My picks

Highlander (original 2750)
Atlas (original 3025)
Behemoth (original 3055)
Imp (Dragoons Sourcebook)
Marauder II (Dragoons Sourcebook)
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Poxinabox
01/18/16 11:54 PM

While I'm a big fan of the Highlander, I greatly prefer its IIC model for aesthetics.

With that said, my favourites:

- Highlander/Highlander IIC - something about the mix of weaponry coupled with the less-than-human head on a humanoid body and being known for crushing its opponents underfoot... I don't see how I couldn't love it.

- Stalker - ponderous but ominous, with weapons to be a threat at all ranges. Again, what's not to love?

- Malice - replacing the Annihilator as one of my favourite ballistics platforms, I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. It's big, it's ugly, and means business.

- Sirocco - reminds me a lot of an AT-AT, so I have a particular soft spot for it. Its substantial weaponry doesn't hurt, either.

- Supernova - sleek aesthetic, and despite the heat I've had a great time with 6 ER Large Clan lasers. There's a substantial amount of fear that goes on when someone realizes I have a clear LOS with those.
Akalabeth
02/18/16 02:26 AM

Off the top of my head:

Blood Kite - 3 LRM-15s, 3 SRM-4s, 3 ER LL (one CT, one HD with STD engine). Haven't used it too many times but as a fan of the blood spirits I couldn't want a better totem

Titan - non-canon, but 100 tons 3/5 Level 1 with 2 PPCs, 6 ML, 20 SHS, and uh . . . 2 SRM-6s and an SRM-4? There's a Grand Titan and a Titan II based on this design but this one's still the coolest of the bunch.

King Crab - Pair of AC/20s, LRM-15 and a LL. Deadly up close though limited ammunition and restricted firing arcs. Haven't played it much either but like the concept of it

Cerberus - 2 Gauss, 4 MPL and 2 MG Rear. Thought to say Night Star initially but I think this design just has more style even if the MGs are pretty superfluous.

Highlander 732 - Classic, all-around assault trooper though not as great as it seems on paper.

I've never much cared for many of the classic designs. I'm not fond of munchkin-esque designs like the Awesome, Warhawk and Dire Wolf. And never cared whatsoever for the Atlas. Would rather take a Charger SB or an Annihilator if I want something a bit munchy but with more character. Some other runner ups be the Thug, Stalker, aforementioned Nightstar, Spartan. Love 2750 most of all but there's a few here and there. I don't mind the Gargoyle and Executioner though the former is undergunned.

Edited by Akalabeth (02/18/16 01:58 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
02/23/16 11:40 AM

As I said before I don't really like the majority of published designs. Here is what I do like.

The Dire Wolf (Daishi) is not bad. Its speed sucks but you can set up a good combination of powerful weapons to really take advantage of its available pod weight.

The Executioner (Gladiator) has something to desire with its low armor and light available pod weight but you cant argue with its 4-6(8)-4 movement. With the 16 internal double heat sinks that does let you take great advantage of energy weapons.

Of the published mech that I like the best is not in the assault class at all but tops out the heavy class and that is the Timber Wolf (Mad Cat). You have a great mix of speed armor and weapons. Of the available set configurations I like the Alt. Config. D but I would dump the Streak SRM-6s for Streak SRM-4s all facing forward. But if I could have the weapon load that I would want I would have two Extended Range Large Lasers backed up with six Medium Pause Lasers and four tons of Targeting Computers. To top my pod space I would have four jump jets. I would have two really good long range weapons but I would try to close in to use the six medium pulse lasers that are assisted by the targeting computers.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Rotwang
02/23/16 01:27 PM

Atlas AS7D : The original beast.

Mad Cat MK II : An excellent all-range killer with reasonable mobility

Sunder : A surprisingly flexible and effective chassis

Devastator : If you want a better awesome, more punch than a Marauder II, keep fighting long after the Thunder Hawk ran out of ammo, pick the Devastator.

Dire Wolf : What the Atlas is to the Inner Sphere, the Dire Wolf is to the Clans. If you can't kill it with a Daishi, you have a serious problem.
Akalabeth
02/23/16 02:48 PM

Prefer the Nightstar to the Devastator but would take either over a Thunder Hawk. T-Hawk carries its gauss in its torsos which means it'll very likely to die from a side-torso destruction once a person gets through its armour.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14619

Contact Admins Sarna.net