1 Small X-Pulse Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Overview:
Johnson 'MechWorks, Inc. has a long-standing reputation for bizarre designs,
often due to their willingness to distance themselves from "traditional" design
concepts, but also because of their penchant for Specialty 'Mech.

The BLN-XT Blunt is one of the latter. Designed as a "Militia" 'Mech, the
Blunt is intended to be not only relatively inexpensive to build and maintain,
but also to be effective in the hands of a less experienced pilot.

To keep costs down, and to maximize surviveabilty, the design team chose to
forego use of a Light or XL Engine, although they employed both an Endo Steel
frame and Light Ferro Fibrous Armour to save tonnage. The secondary weapons
are just as advanced as the frame: a Small X-Pulse Laser or Anti-Infantry work,
an ER Medium Laser for range, and a Medium X-Pulse Laser for accuracy, again
focussing of maximizing the effectiveness of a less-experienced 'Mechwarrior.

The heart of the weaponry -- and the defining feature of the design -- is the
massive MRM 40 rack dominating the Blunt's Left Arm. The JMInc. team addressed
the MRMs' targeting issues with a 2-pronged approach. First, the Apollo Fire
Control System corrects the targeting issue at the cost of a wider spread.
Accuracy is further improved by enhancing the Actuators in the arm, allowing
the 'Mech to better compensate for movement. Combined, the weapons allow an
inexperienced 'Mechwarrior to handle the cumbersome system competently.

Capabilities:
The Blunt is primarily a One Trick Pony, putting the bulk of its firepower into
the massive missile rack in the Left Arm. With the enhancements, the MRM can
be aimed with great precision, making the Blunt a dangerous opponent inside the
weapon's prime range bracket. The supporting lasers are less impressive, but
still provide significant firepower in the event the missile rack is disabled.

The limited effective range of the weapons make it best suited to
close-quarters environment, but overall, the Blunt is a potent package for a
military on a budget.

Variants:
A few variats have been drawn up for the Blunt.

First, acknowledging that the advanced lasers might not be readily available to
all factions, the mounts and power couplings were designed to accept
lower-grade weapons; the X-Pulse Lasers can be field-refitted with Pulse
Lasers, and the ER Medium with a standard Medium.

Second, the -30T variant replaces the MRM with a smaller 30-rack and adds an
additional Medium Pulse or X-Pulse Laser in the Left Arm, making it somewhat less ammo-dependent.

Finally, in either variant, the Apollo system can be removed to replace the (ER) Medium Laser with a second Medium (X-)Pulse Laser, which is recommended for skilled 'Mechwarriors who prefer the tighter missile spread to the improved targeting capability.

Code:
================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 91 points 3.00
Internal Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 4 RT, 4 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine: Fusion Engine 220 10.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 4 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 2 CT, 1 LT, 1 RT 2.00
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 11(22) 1.00
Heat Sink Locations: 2 LT, 1 RT
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Light Ferro-Fibrous AV - 185 11.00
Armor Locations: 3 RT, 4 RA
CASE II Locations: 1 LT 1.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 18 27
Center Torso (rear) 9
L/R Torso 13 20
L/R Torso (rear) 6
L/R Arm 9 18
L/R Leg 13 26

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small X-Pulse Laser RA 3 1 1.00
MRM-40 LA 12 7 12.00
Apollo FCS LA - 1 1.00
A.E.S. LA - 2 2.00
Medium X-Pulse Laser RT 6 1 2.00
ER Medium Laser LT 5 1 1.00
@MRM-40 (12) LT - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 6 Points: 17
4j 4 4 0 0 2 1 Structure: 5
Special Abilities: CASEII, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

MY BLURB:
My biggest question about AES was how its use contrasted with Targeting Computer. I came up with 3 main advantages. First, the tonnage/crits are fixed; adding a Small Laser to use up 1/2 ton won't cost an extra ton of TC. Second, the AES saves tonnage if used on heavy weapons like Gauss Rifles, Autocannons, PPCs, and large Missile racks. Third, unlike TC, the AES system can be used with Missiles. I've always liked MRMs, but hated the +1 penalty, and AES seemed like the perfect solution. According to the fluff, MRMs were designed as a weapon for inexperienced 'Mechwarriors (which didn't make sense to me given the targeting penalty and crappy range brackets, but whatever), so I built an Enhanced MRM design around that idea.

Thoughts?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
02/26/16 01:39 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
first the nitpick. the manufacturer should be Johnson Mechworks inc, not unknown.

Now the inexperienced pilot might not know how to lock on missiles while firing other weapons, so the point and shoot of the mrms might be easier for them to use. The video games can be a real pain with the lrms as they do not fire in an arc, meaning the mech over the horizon will need you to quickly more the targeting sights off the mech and hope you can arc them and still maintain the lock. So the extra couple of seconds to lock might be why the mrms are easier.
But this is a guess.

Being a mech targeted for militia, shouldn't it have at least one hand actuator? The right arm ending in a small laser and the cost of the actuator shouldn't be enough to drop it, as militia mechs are likely to be used in non combat situations.
Now the range is something that does make you wonder. I think it goes back to the question why the IS doesn't make clan weapons. The clan lrm would make the mrm extinct. No minimum with longer range.
Granted the range might be better for an inexperienced pilot that doesn't have the movement patterns of enemy units figured out yet, so trying to target something at 630 meters is more difficult then 450 meters. But again this is just a guess.

Now the aes system. Does it have issues if the location closer to the center torso has one as well?
I would figure it should, as the one it is stabilized on would be doing the adjustments needed to fire, making the outer one have more issues, but then that might be true with just firing any weapons regardless of the situation. Torso AES may cause the attached arm issues as it does its fine movements to sustain a lock.
KamikazeJohnson
02/26/16 02:22 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

first the nitpick. the manufacturer should be Johnson Mechworks inc, not unknown.

Yeah, I don't always feel like editing all the fine details. The Drawing Board allowed me to add JMInc. to the drop-down list, SSW doesn't do that as far as I know.

Quote:
Being a mech targeted for militia, shouldn't it have at least one hand actuator? The right arm ending in a small laser and the cost of the actuator shouldn't be enough to drop it, as militia mechs are likely to be used in non combat situations.

No free crit space on the listed model. I could use a Small Cockpit, trade the ER Medium for a X-Pulse, and add the Hand Actuator in the Right Arm, but the +1 Piloting penalty wouldn't be good for a second-string pilot. Although that would work one the variant without the Apollo system. Alternatively, drop the ER Medium completely, upgrade the Small to a Medium X-Pulse, add the Hand Actuator. But that loses the Anti-Infantry capability.

Quote:
Now the aes system. Does it have issues if the location closer to the center torso has one as well?
I would figure it should, as the one it is stabilized on would be doing the adjustments needed to fire, making the outer one have more issues, but then that might be true with just firing any weapons regardless of the situation. Torso AES may cause the attached arm issues as it does its fine movements to sustain a lock.

AES = Actuator Enhancement System. No Actuators in the Torso. AES is for Arms and Legs only. That's the biggest negative of the system.
--Thomas Jefferson
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/10/16 06:22 PM

My two issues are, (A) The lack of long ranged weapons on a 55 ton design. (B) The MRM-40 only has 12 shots.

You mech is to slow to close in with other mechs so a long ranged weapon would be very helpful in open terrain.

You only have 12 shots for when your in very restrictive terrain where long ranged weapons are of little use.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
03/10/16 06:49 PM

Both valid points, and both things that contribute to the Blunt being a limited-use design

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

My two issues are, (A) The lack of long ranged weapons on a 55 ton design.
You mech is to slow to close in with other mechs so a long ranged weapon would be very helpful in open terrain.

The Blunt was designed to maximize the effectiveness of inexperienced 'Mechwarriors, hence a lot of Militia/Garrison posts. Primarily defensive, likely Urban environments.

Quote:
(B) The MRM-40 only has 12 shots.
You only have 12 shots for when your in very restrictive terrain where long ranged weapons are of little use.

If deployed defensively, it should be close to a place to reload. If ammo is still a concern, the MRM 30 variant carries more ammo.
--Thomas Jefferson
03/10/16 08:08 PM

I am not a big fan of the idea of mechs being used for Garrison posts and I really don't like mechs used for Militia use. If your not going to be doing much travailing why spend five million on each mech? The 20 million C Bills you would spend on a lance of medium mechs I can buy a light battalion of tanks. Where it takes years to train a mech warrior you can train a tank crew in less than a year.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
03/10/16 11:18 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I am not a big fan of the idea of mechs being used for Garrison posts and I really don't like mechs used for Militia use. If your not going to be doing much travailing why spend five million on each mech?

Because...this is the BattleTech universe, and militaries are addicted to 'Mechs?

Yeah, the economy of it really doesn't make a lot of sense...I could see a garrison/militia force having a token 'Mech or 2 as a Command unit, but the bulk of a defense force would be tanks and infantry.

Even in general, if 'Mechs are as expensive as they are described, any force would be something like a Battalion of Inf, and Battalion of Tanks, and a Lance of 'Mechs...although I guess there's a tipping point where the cost of transport outweighs the cost of the 'Mechs, so you move Quality as opposed to Quantity.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
03/11/16 12:07 AM

The way the game implies, there is no such thing as a militia mech forces, since they are so rare. All defensive forces should be vehicles and infantry.
Any militia with mechs in it, should be personal units the commander brought with him, or maybe a unit that retired with them.

But this goes back to the argument of mechs being used for anything other then assaults, as they are more valuable in that role. Why have militias with mechs in them at all, when you could field them in another regiment or 3?
Technically, most area governments seem to be run by mech warriors so their mechs should be confiscated and sent to the front line units, instead of sitting in a warehouse or the palace.

This mech seems more like a defense against pirates then a house attack on the world. Delay the enemy until reinforcements from line units can make it there.
And as with alot of units, ammunition is always light, yet the munitions should be locally made, reducing the costs of reloading them. Which is another issue that isn't really covered in the game.

Ammunition weapons need to drop in price as well as munitions, and increase the size of the bins without many issues. Energy weapons would be the higher tech issues of most combat units. A tank with an ICE in it, should not be high tech unless it has energy weapons. Cannons and missiles should be lower tech then even some armors. Other electronics might flip either way, but it appears that is why the game appears to have stagnated in some areas. All player battles want mech on mech, but this isn't really sustainable. You invade a planet, destroy the mech battalion there, then deal with reinforcements. Destroy the mech production for that state, and yet next year they have even more mechs on the field? But this digresses from the mech in question.
03/11/16 10:15 AM

Thats odd because I have read about a great deal of militia mech forces in novels and other cannon sources.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
03/11/16 01:32 PM

That is the paradox.
Most militias have some mechs in them. Even when 3025 tro came out, there was. Yet, the supposed lack of mechs was why raids were more the deal of the day then invasions. And Militias are different then garrison forces. So that isn't going to confuse this.

Alot of the 'great' heros seem to come from militia forces.

Besides the logic of spending 20 million on 4 mechs, when you can buy a company of tanks, which is something I brought up in another thread. The cost of the ice tanks being too high. You can spend that same amount of money on a lance of tanks that are not as flexible as the mechs are.
What other issue is there with mechs made for militia purposes?

12 shots with the main weapon isn't really that far off from front line mechs. The archer has only 12 shots per launcher. Granted it has 2, but it is still the same. This is not a 70 ton unit. I'm sure if it was bumped up it would match the archer.
This is not saying I don't agree the number of rounds seems low, but given it's main mission is close combat, such as city fighting, it seems to fill the role of a larger urban mech. Carrying around a lot of ammunition in that environment isn't a great idea.
And given the preference for lasers by most, I do understand the stigma of using ammunition weapons in that same environment.
Akirapryde2006
03/17/16 10:00 AM

Look I like the design. Not sure that it is suited for being assigned to cash strapped militias. But that doesn't mean that more wealthy militias wouldn't use it. Painted in flashy colors meant to inspire wealthy donors, and create a air/illusion of security, it could fill a great role in a hearts and minds kind of strategy.

More than that, I could really see this mech defending a Dropship landing zone or supply base out on the front lines. Holding back where fire support is only a short flight away, this mech really could hold its own. Because of its size, fire power and speed it could halt a daring raid by lighter faster light and medium mechs.

As for the movement, for a medium in the role that you gave, the movement is fine.

Weapon and ammo allotments. Again, in terms of the role the mech was designed for, it fits well.

Hats off man, over all its a good medium mech you designed with nice fluff to go along with it.

Akira
KamikazeJohnson
03/18/16 04:25 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

12 shots with the main weapon isn't really that far off from front line mechs. The archer has only 12 shots per launcher. Granted it has 2, but it is still the same. This is not a 70 ton unit. I'm sure if it was bumped up it would match the archer.

70-ton Blunt is called the Krampus
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6315

Contact Admins Sarna.net