Limited Amphibious BD
HarJel FR
HarJel RS
HarJel LS
HarJel RR

Carrying Capacity:
Troops - 10.0 tons

--------------------------------------

The Advanced Tracked Landing Vehicle is a high-survivability amphibious armored personnel carrier designed by the alternative history faction Crossroads.

The vehicle was designed to carry a point of the heaviest battle armor available safely to a battlefield that may have up to moderate defenses. The design, originally intended to be 35 tons, bloated many times during the design process to fulfill the specifications of a survivable landing vehicle with a large carrying capacity.

The resulting design costs around 3 million C-Bills. The ATLV is powered by a 150 FCE that allows the vehicle to hit an unimpressive 15 m/s on land, and the amphibious equipment allows for 6 m/s by water. The vehicle is survivable, however, and incorporates many ingenious systems such as the advanced ferro-lamellor armor, HarJel, and an armored motive system to keep it moving under fire. The vehicle is difficult to sink, but suffers a price tag of 3 million C-Bills and its sole armament of a single micro pulse laser, although some modifications consume 2.5 tons of the transport bay for a LRM/LRT 5, or sometimes a mortar, and a ton of ammo in the provisional turret for self defense.

One variant, known as the "Sea Serpent", uses a fusion engine instead, replaces the transport bay with a Plasma Cannon with two tons of ammo and a MPL, both mounted on the turret. The micro pulse laser is replaced with a light active probe. The variant is intended to be dispersed among the regular variant as amphibious support vehicles with heavy weaponry.

The expenses result in the questioning of the vehicle by congressmen of why the vehicle was developed in the first place. It was argued that a hovercraft of the same tonnage could essentially do the same job but faster and cheaper, given the number of advanced technologies being used on the tracked chassis. A VTOL could do similar and be lighter and cheaper.

The design was produced anyways, with a citation of motive system vulnerabilities for the other two suggestions. An aerospace company produced the Cassowary VTOL shown below on a similar criteria and sold it on the export market out of spite, which quickly became a popular APC on the high-end market. The ALVT is generally considered to be a design blunder by military historians.

------------------------------------------

Cassowary Mk.I
Clan experimental
30 tons
BV: 403
Cost: 1,086,000 C-bills

Movement: 7/11 (VTOL)
Engine: 70 Fuel Cell

Internal: 15
Armor: 112 (Ferro-Lamellor)
Internal Armor
Front 3 30
Right 3 30
Left 3 30
Rear 3 20
Rotor 3 2

Carrying Capacity:
Troops - 12.0 tons
ghostrider
03/26/16 08:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I like the fluff.
The lack of weapons isn't a draw back when you consider it is meant to move infantry, not engage in combat.
I do agree a vtol would be better, but a pilot for one is harder to come by then a land based driver is.

The price does show some issues with the balance of the game. But that is something else.

The duck unit seems to be set up to deliver troops to a port city from the sea. A niche vehicle of so it seems. Hovers would be more efficient, including the larger ones, but I can see a sea ship deploying these in rough waters hovers might stall in.
Over all. I think the cost would force most to use a different unit.

Now as for those stuck inside during enemy fire, well knowing they won't be swimming would make it worth the extra money.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3060

Contact Admins Sarna.net