10/15 Movement
1x 'Mech Mortar 1
1x Ammo
1x Flamer
1x Improved Heavy Medium Laser
BV 527
C-Bills 1,462,850
-------------------------------------------
The Python is a design by Crossroads, an alternative history faction. The VTOL is designed to be a cheap and APC capable of carrying moderate size infantry formations and supporting them against basic infantry threats. The vehicle is utilized in garrison units and is also very popular in the export market.

The vehicle utilizes a heavy armor load for its size, 4.5 tons of FF armor, and a 70 FCE to propel the VTOL to impressive speeds in order to keep the transported infantry with sufficient protection. Depending on the infantry being carried, the value of the infantry being carried can actually exceed the cost of the helicopter.

The Python's weapon system is niche, but well tuned for weathering hostile infantry formations if need be. The Micro-Pulse laser provides a very accurate anti-infantry defense at point blank ranges. The Mortar system, created as basically a up-gunned grenade launcher, is a bit inaccurate as its odd ballistic trajectory makes it difficult to aim, but its accuracy can be improved by the use of a spotter, potentially including the infantry its carrying to the front.

Air-burst ammunition has highly limited utility against 'Mechs and Vehicles, but its air-burst and explosive nature deals a devastating blow against highly concentrated assets like Battle Armor and Infantry from an impressive distance, considering the weight of the weapon. The properties of the launcher results in interesting strategies utilizing it, such as focused fire on a particularly troublesome vehicle by multiple Pythons or inaccurate, mass mortar firing against large infantry formations to scatter and supress them.

The Python's rare mech mortar combined with its speed, survivability, and high infantry carrying capacity makes it extremely well liked by groups positioned or fighting against the Periphery. To fully corner the market, the Python was followed up by a simpler version called the Mk.I, which replaced the micro pulse laser with machine guns and the engine with a lighter ICE model for cost and logistical purposes (The Mk.II was originally the Mk.I before being re-designated, believing having the more technologically advanced version at a smaller mark number could be confusing).

Because of the number of Pythons being produced and the need for more high-performance infantry carriers, the Python had another modification now designated as the Mk.III. The Mk.III is sometimes known as the "Royal Python" and uses an XL Fusion Engine with an improved heavy laser and flamer, keeping the anti-infantry point blank capabilities while adding potent anti-vehicle and anti-mech firepower that wasn't present on the previous models. The Mk.III became famous around 3110 for its performance in dense periphery jungles and is now used in general Army advertisements. Unlike the Mk.I and Mk.II, the Mk.III is not available for the export market.
Akalabeth
03/28/16 04:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
You do realize that it will only be able to fire the Mortar while landed right?
Retry
03/28/16 09:35 AM

That's one of the few rules I ignore outright. There's no actual decent grenade launcher-like weapon (The oneshot vehicle grenade launcher rubbish doesn't count) and the Mech Mortar is the closest thing to it. There's no real reason for them to work on the ground but not work in the air other than the abstract ruling that says they can't.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/28/16 09:59 AM

There is the issue that when launched the shells will hit the VTALs rotor since mortars fire at a high ark and destroy the VTAL.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Akalabeth
03/28/16 02:01 PM

There's nothing abstract about it. Mortars are high-arc ballistic bombs basically. As Donkey says they would need to be fired through the VTOLs rotors which would destroy them and crash the craft. It would probably make more sense to create a new weapon which accomplishes what you want.

But if those are the house rules you use, that's fine. Though it might be worth noting that you use that house rule in your design description.
ghostrider
03/28/16 04:13 PM

The entire crossroads setting is all non canon concept. This was part of what started some issue before.
Now I do agree it should have been stated in the opening sentence this was a rule ignoring design.

As I am too lazy to look up the stats for mortars, and don't have the books, I would think an existing system could work for what he wants done. Though it could be only artillery would do so, making the purpose obsolete.

It might be simpler to strap bombs to it and use them to clear areas.

Also, I am curious on the airburst ammo. That sounds more like anti air munitions, then a ground combat munitions. It sounds like a proximity fuse, which tends to go off prematurely near the ground. So please correct me if this is wrong.

Now for the entry, it would be nice to know if there is only one shot for the questioned weapon or how many shots 1 ton provides.
Not knowing the weight of the weapon itself makes it hard to suggest alternate weapons that would work with it.

Edited by ghostrider (03/28/16 04:14 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/28/16 04:58 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:
Also, I am curious on the airburst ammo. That sounds more like anti air munitions, then a ground combat munitions. It sounds like a proximity fuse, which tends to go off prematurely near the ground. So please correct me if this is wrong.

You have it correctly.

Retry it would ineffective against armored infantry but quite effective against unarmored infantry.

Quote:
Now for the entry, it would be nice to know if there is only one shot for the questioned weapon or how many shots 1 ton provides.
Not knowing the weight of the weapon itself makes it hard to suggest alternate weapons that would work with it.

Its in the wiki if you want to look it up.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Akirapryde2006
03/28/16 07:26 PM

Quote:
Retry writes:

That's one of the few rules I ignore outright. There's no actual decent grenade launcher-like weapon (The oneshot vehicle grenade launcher rubbish doesn't count) and the Mech Mortar is the closest thing to it. There's no real reason for them to work on the ground but not work in the air other than the abstract ruling that says they can't.

Being one for loopholes, I can understand what you are attempting. Maybe I can help with this.

There would be no need for a House Rule or to ignore the rules outright.

You could use something called a Synchronization Gear. This should allow for you to fire through the moving rotors without hitting them. The motor's low rate of fire should make this option very practical

Or you could,

have two rotor (either on the wing tip edges like the V-22 Osprey. Or one behind the other like you see on the CH-47 Chinook), this way you could have your motor go up through them.

I don't know about the current rules governing VTOL, but in the FASA edition there were no rules governing either of these options. So either one should not change the over all design of your craft and keep you within the rules.

Akira
Retry
03/28/16 07:29 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

There is the issue that when launched the shells will hit the VTALs rotor since mortars fire at a high ark and destroy the VTAL.

If you're flying a couple hundred meters above the ground, you're not going to be lobbing them at a high arc. Being on the ground would increase the mortar launch angle in comparison to from mid-air.

Most modern helicopters like the AH-1Z Viper and UH-1 Venom have about a 45 degree angle between the very tip of the nose and the propeller, which is the angle required to get the maximum horizontal distance from a Mortar shell anyways.

It also doesn't cover BT VTOLs such as the Aeron and its side vector thrust propulsion system, where the "rotor" is to the side and not in the arc of anything.

'Tis too bad the rules don't officially allow for it. A chopper with a huge *** grenade launcher would have been cool.
Akalabeth
03/28/16 07:35 PM

Cool factor aside, why would you want to lob bombs when you can just drop them?
CrayModerator
03/28/16 07:39 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

BT VTOLs cover the range of:

Classic main-and-tail rotor helicopters, like the Blackhawk or BT's Ferret
Twin main rotor helicopters, like the Chinook
NOTAR helicopters, like the MD Explorer
Tilt-rotors, like the Osprey or BT's Karnov

In the case of tilt rotors like the Karnov, you've got plenty of room to fire a mortar vertically without passing through rotors. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Karnov_UR_VTOL.jpg

Alternately, if you want to dodge some rule I've forgotten, you could use LRMs, which may be fired in vertical arcs. It's harmless fluff to say they fire like mortars.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
03/28/16 07:42 PM

Quote:
Akalabeth writes:

Cool factor aside, why would you want to lob bombs when you can just drop them?

You can only drop a bomb once, assuming the enemy is nice enough to not shoot you down before or as you get to the drop zone.

You can load and reload a Mortar multiple times from the relative safety of behind your friendly mechs.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6352

Contact Admins Sarna.net