Maverick Medium Tank

Pages: 1
CarcerKango
04/14/16 09:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In 3067, a new tank was designed by Damage, Inc. to fill a gap in heavy-ballistics-carrying medium combat vehicles perceived by military analysts. Thus, this vehicle--designated the Maverick--was built around a powerful 225 Fuel Cell Engine and a turreted Gauss Rifle.

Capabilities:

As mentioned, the Maverick carried a 225 FCE that allowed it to flank at 87 KPH. A Gauss Rifle was mounted alongside a coaxial machine gun in the turret--the gauss weapon recieved 2 tons of ammo and the MG recieved half a ton. Unfortunately, the tank's 6 and a half tons of armor left something to be desired when it came to armor protection--at least relative to larger tanks with similar loadouts. However, the tank's relative speed made up for this somewhat in the opinions of its first crews.

Variants:

Maverick II: Replaces the engine with an identically-rated, but lighter (and more expensive) XL Fusion Engine. The role, here, was changed to a dedicated vehicle hunter by arming the tank with a Rotary AC/5 with 2 tons of ammo and twin Streak SRM-6's with one ton of ammo to share.

Name: Maverick Medium Tank
Type: Medium Tracked Combat Vehicle
Move: 5/8, Fuel Cell Engine
Tonnage: 45
Manufacturer: Damage, Inc. (IS)
Communications System: Standard
Targeting and Tracking System: Standard

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: 4.5
Engine: 225 10.0
Type: Fuel Cell
Cruise MP: 5
Flank MP: 8
Heat Sinks: 1 (engine free) 0.0
Control Equipment: 2.5
Lift Equipment: 0.0
Power Amplifier: 0.0
Turret: 1.5

Armor Factor: Standard, 104 (6.5 tons)
Armor
Value
Front 23
L/R Side 22/22
Rear 15
Turret 22

Weapons and Ammo Location Tons
Machine Gun Turret 0.5
Gauss Rifle Turret 15.0
Ammo (MG) 100 Body 0.5
Ammo (Gauss) 8 Body 1.0
Ammo (Gauss) 8 Body 1.0

Cost: 2,237,350 C-bills
BV: 527

Edited by CarcerKango (04/14/16 09:09 PM)
ghostrider
04/15/16 12:45 AM

The question of a gauss rifle in a lighter tank help inspire this design?

Minor issue with turret weight. Mg puts it over the turret limit.

Still useful for snipe and run.
Akalabeth
04/15/16 06:51 AM

Cool stuff. Too bad that HS has to go to waste, almost wish you had another HS so you could swap in a Small Pulse for the MG
CarcerKango
04/15/16 07:54 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

The question of a gauss rifle in a lighter tank help inspire this design?

Minor issue with turret weight. Mg puts it over the turret limit.

Still useful for snipe and run.

Hmm...I suppose you could strip half a ton of armor from it to fit the turret, or just move the MG to the front.

And ironically this design was something I had lying around in MegaMek for a while, had fun with it, then the question of the gauss and lighter tanks inspired me to actually post the thing :P
CarcerKango
04/15/16 07:55 AM

Hmm...you could swap out the MG and one ton of gauss ammo to fit it.
Karagin
04/15/16 08:03 AM

Or you could move the MG to the front...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
04/15/16 01:13 PM

I would more the mg if instead of losing gauss ammo.
Was it the current version of megamek? Or an older one. I would think it should have kicked out the design as not legal, but oh well.

Have you thought of using a light gauss variant?
CarcerKango
04/15/16 07:18 PM

Current Megamek, yes. I may have had less armor on that version though--the posted one is a remake with Remlab. Also might've used Ferro-Fibrous.
Karagin
04/15/16 11:46 PM

Just move the MG to the front arc and it is all good.
Karagin

Karagin
04/15/16 11:47 PM

And yet again MegaMek IS NOT BATTLETECH and yet again it's inability to follow the design rules is very showing. Also it leads me to wonder if this is how many folks are learning the game, via a system that allows for these kind of mistake.
Karagin

ghostrider
04/16/16 02:16 AM

Quote:
CarcerKango writes:

Current Megamek, yes. I may have had less armor on that version though--the posted one is a remake with Remlab. Also might've used Ferro-Fibrous.

If this is correct, it was remlab that allowed the error.

There have been a few errors pop up with the programs, though not just one specific one.
I am going to assume it was exported, not typed up.

Bites, but not an end all issue.
Retry
04/16/16 12:18 PM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

And yet again MegaMek IS NOT BATTLETECH and yet again it's inability to follow the design rules is very showing. Also it leads me to wonder if this is how many folks are learning the game, via a system that allows for these kind of mistake.

Yes, we all know about your abhorrence of megamek and your constant championing of the obsolete HMP series.

Regardless, he explicitly stated that the posted illegal design was straight from REMLAB, not MML.

Nice try though.
Karagin
04/16/16 10:34 PM

And clearly BOTH MML and REMLAB have issues and unlike the HMP series which can do the correct math and keep things legal, these two programs can't so as you said Retry nice try and nice use of illegal software.
Karagin

Retry
04/17/16 01:23 AM

The only time I've actually posted a design that was illegal in MML was due to user error. The program itself calculated weight, BV, and C-Bill costs correctly; putting the illegal design through the program indeed results in an "illegal" result, and would have occurred in HMP.

Last time I checked, there is nothing illegal about making an unofficial design program to emulate a board game and its characteristics. Not in this country, nor in international law.
ghostrider
04/17/16 01:34 AM

I thought anything that didn't follow canon rules was to have a statement it doesn't.
Granted, that may have been something I believed and not followed by the rest.

As for this tank, it was stated it came out as an error.
Simply move the mg and it's fine. Drop some armor and go with ferrous fiber and it's fine.

If you want to argue programs that don't work right, start with windows.
The argument on if programs are working right or not, should be in it's own thread.
CrayModerator
04/17/16 06:29 PM

Quote:
Retry writes:

Last time I checked, there is nothing illegal about making an unofficial design program to emulate a board game and its characteristics. Not in this country, nor in international law.

Nope, it's quite alright to use MegaMek and MegaMekLab if you prefer. The results are pretty consistent with published rules both in board game play and unit design, though you need to be careful of designs invoking optional features. MegaMek puts a lower priority on incorporating obscure optional rules that no one seems to use.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6601

Contact Admins Sarna.net