issues with wieght consistancy

Pages: 1
ghostrider
04/19/16 02:29 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The discussion of weights for infantry got me to start looking in the tros for fractional units. Which the very first one, the ferret vtol starts with .25 for controls and .25 cargo for sensors.
2nd vehicle, the savannah master. it uses .2 for controls.
The hover apc in the copy I have has a typo saying the infantry bay is 11 tons. I know this is wrong, but a fine example of typos being done and not corrected.
The warrior attack chopper using 1.05 controls 2,1 rotor tonnage. Not even rounded to the quarter ton.
The monitor naval vessel. Jump troop weight, 1.9 tons.
This is the first canon tro dealing with lots of vehicles.
Karagin
04/19/16 06:05 AM

A lot of this was to cover to the issue with the way they at one time built vehicles, things didn't add up to nice neat whole numbers for the mechs i.e. keeping with the 5 ton limit in weight aka 80, 85 etc...and this was very true in vehicles since a vehicle can be any tonnage you want it to be, like the Warrior VTOL for example being 21 tons. So things were given odd weights to make it work out.

That is the simple answer or so I am told. I am sure others will offer their version of things and well given that we don't always have the information in a single source and even when they do try for that, things change since the rules keep changing, though the basics haven't changed, I would not let these things worry you too much.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
04/19/16 05:33 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

The discussion of weights for infantry got me to start looking in the tros for fractional units. Which the very first one, the ferret vtol starts with .25 for controls and .25 cargo for sensors.
2nd vehicle, the savannah master. it uses .2 for controls.

Somewhere in the 1990s, FASA decided to start enforcing round numbers on vehicle and 'Mech designs, eliminating 0.1- and 0.25-ton values in publications like TR:3026 (original) and TR:3050. "Fractional accounting" became an option in books like "Maximum Technology" while most units had to round to half- and full-ton values.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
04/19/16 07:12 PM

I was using those examples to show the canon world used the fractional accounting.
I was trying to show the infantry issue with squads being listed for carriers as 1 ton, yet the math for a full platoon supports the .75 weight of them.
Was there a reason why this was not done, even back then?
Or did they screw up and just decide 3 tons for a 4 squad infantry platoon we ok, despite the fact it didn't fit with their original weights?

And honestly, factional accounting will ALWAYs be part of the game as long as turrets don't fit into this scheme. I dislike it being used with mechs, as they rarely deal with uneven numbers except when dealing with lighter engines. But if it is bad for mechs, it should be fair and be bad for vehicles.

And with the clantech things like light mgs, they went back to the .25 weights. So the concept of making it all half tons was thrown out the window again.
skiltao
04/23/16 01:46 PM

BattleDroid squads had 9 troopers each. BD didn't have platoons, but three of those squads, plus one extra trooper (platoon commander, maybe) would make 28.

Incidentally, the vehicles in TR:3025 used fractional accounting too.
ghostrider
04/23/16 04:23 PM

3025 used alot of fractional accounting. Mainly put the odd numbers for sensors.
But this is why I called into question the infantry numbers. If they were .75 then they could have used it.

But seeing the numbers for battledroid makes sense on some of it.

The squads were 1 ton each for the 9 troopers?
If so, then that explains the entire issue here.

It looks like it was never updated to the 7 man squads with 4 to a platoon. I think that would be funny if it is so.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4169

Contact Admins Sarna.net