Jump Jets: None
Armor: 17 tons Standard Armor
Armament:
1 Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle
1 Heavy PPC + PPC Capacitor
1 Plasma Rifle
1 Silver Bullet Gauss
1 C3 Computer (Slave)

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Composite 152 points 7.50
Internal Locations: 5 LA, 1 RA, 1 RL
Engine: XL Fusion Engine 300 9.50
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 10(20) 0.00
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 272 17.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 42
Center Torso (rear) 11
L/R Torso 21 31
L/R Torso (rear) 11
L/R Arm 17 28
L/R Leg 21 35

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plasma Rifle HD 10 2 6.00
Imp. Heavy Gauss Rifle CT/LT 2 2/9 20.00
Heavy PPC + PPC Capacitor RT 20 4 10.00
Heavy PPC + PPC Capacitor RT 5* 1 1.00
C3 Computer (Slave) RT 0 1 1.00
Silver Bullet Gauss RA 1 7 15.00
@Silver Bullet Gauss (16) RT - 2 2.00
@iHGR (4) RT - 1 1.00
@iHGR (8) LA - 2 2.00
@iHGR (4) RL - 1 1.00
@Plasma Rifle (20) LL - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 1

I wanted to create a design that somehow crams all four of my favorite Inner Sphere big guns into one unit. Two big hole-punchers, one (iHGR) that can do 22 points of damage out to 19 hexes, the other the Heavy PPC that, with capacitor, can do 20 out to 18, with no ammunition dependency.

And my MOST favorite, the LB-15x, umm I mean, the "Silver Bullet" Gauss. There is not a better crit-finder in the entire game, (or a better anti-air or anti-vehicle gun) the -1 to hit is also nice.

Plasma rifle is not too shabby, you get extra damage (as high as 22 total damage possible) against all ground units except 'Mechs, on them you get to inflict extra heat. Like a shorter-range PPC that comes with an inferno round hit.

Standard tactic for using this unit would be to start with a charged-capacitor Heavy PPC/double Gauss hit, then next turn, charge the capacitor while firing the Plasma Rifle. If you alpha everything you'd be 13 on the scale (so, don't do that).

The Strife has two fully-articulated arms for punching, carrying loot, etc. but one of the big guns has to be in an arm due to space limitations.

Armor is OK for an assault, 17 tons. Maybe I could ditch one ton of iHGR ammo, take it down to 12 shots for another ton of armor.. I don't know. I couldn't squeeze in any more weight saving tech while sticking to the Inner Sphere tree. (I realize the spheroid XL engine is less than ideal.)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Whoops.. sinks were supposed to be doubles. No WAY singles would do with the Heavy PPC and Plasma Rifle.

Edited by happyguy49 (05/17/16 09:46 AM)
ghostrider
05/17/16 03:14 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It would raise the cost, but using double sinks would help. The engine should hide them all, so no need for extra space being taken up with them.

Do you have a lance set up with this unit?
If not, the c3 slave might be removed for some weight and space savings. I know most people tend to add those things in afterwards, when they do finally decide to make a lance a c3 network.

Also, I need to ask but it there a typo in the heat for the heavy ppc? It looks to be 20 heat. If it is correct, your entire heat scale is off dramatically. And I would suggest you think about movement heat. That extra point or 2 creeps up on you fast depending on the walk/run.

Ok looked both up. The 15 heat for the heavy ppc then 5 for the capacitor. So combined you are 10 on the heat scale without moving with 10 single sinks. The plasma rifle is 10 by itself, so no cool down if you alternate them. Actually, you should over heat in less then 5 rounds.

Edited by ghostrider (05/17/16 03:18 AM)
happyguy49
05/17/16 09:54 AM

Fixed my oversight, heatsinks are now doubles cost is now 24,302,000. One would still have to stagger the energy weapons both to charge the capacitor and to avoid overheating, even with 20 heat dissipation.
CrayModerator
05/17/16 06:12 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Also, I need to ask but it there a typo in the heat for the heavy ppc? It looks to be 20 heat.

The PPC capacitor adds 5 heat when utilized.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
05/18/16 12:26 AM

The last paragraph addressed part of that issue. The heavy ppc is 15 points. Though under the capacitor it says 5 heat. I looked it up in the wiki.
As pointed out, that alone would over heat the unit before it was changed to double sinks. All is good now.

Though not sure if happy did any consideration of removing the c3 for something else, such as more armor. It doesn't need it, but it was a thought.
Karagin
05/18/16 05:52 AM

Did the Silver Bullet ammo change in the new rules?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
happyguy49
05/19/16 07:44 AM

Yes. It has the same shots as a regular Gauss, 8 per ton. The Silver Bullet from the Unbound book was, in my opinion, complete crap. The "clusters" were 5 points each, so it was essentially a much heavier LRM-15 that could explode if critted, and also had exploding ammo.

New silver bullet, you roll on the 15 column to see how many clusters hit, then you get to roll a hit location for each single point of damage just like any LBX autocannon. Also gives you -1 to hit. Ammunition isn't explosive if it gets critted, but the Silver Bullet itself will explode, as any Gauss weapon will.
Karagin
05/20/16 05:02 AM

SO pretty much they refined it and it's still an anti personnel round for the Gauss...not seeing it as anything needs to be used that much or often.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5293

Contact Admins Sarna.net