Cruise Speed: 32.4 km/h (3)
Flanking Speed: 54.0 km/h (5)
Armor: Hardened
Armament:
20 iATM-3s
1 Trailer Hitch (with extra chrome)
1 CASE
1 Nova CEWS

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 50 points 10.00
Engine: Fuel-Cell Engine 300 23.00
Cruise MP: 3
Flank MP: 5
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 2 1.00
Control Equipment: 5.00
Lift Equipment: 0.00
Turret: 3.00
Armor: Hardened AV - 124 15.50

Armor
Factor
Front 31
Left/Right 24/24
Turret 25
Rear 20

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Spaces Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hitch RR - 1 0.00
20 iATM-3s T 40 20 30.00
CASE BD - 0 0.00
Nova CEWS BD 2 1 1.50
@iATM-3 (40) BD - 0 2.00
@iATM-3 (HE) (60) BD - 0 3.00
@iATM-3 (ER) (100) BD - 0 5.00
@IIW-3 (20) BD - 0 1.00

Made this to showcase my current favorite line of missile weapons, the iATMs. They are all automatically Streak, so, never a single wasted shot. The range profiles are fantastic as well, the long range ammo selection having a range of 27. The point blank ones.. with 3 damage per missile, can deliver a frankly obscene amount of damage. For instance, this design, with TWENTY iATM 3s, firing the HE ammo, could theoretically do 180 points of damage. In one turn. Sick.

15.5 tons of Hardened Armor will keep this alive long enough to kill many enemy units, especially if it stays at range (25 hexes or so away) and uses its ER ammo with point-mates providing telemetry via the Nova CEWS. Speed is actually acceptable, more than some other "carrier" designs, at 3/5.

Side note, the Nova CEWS is an interesting tool, you need 2 heat sinks to run it, but it does the job of a Beagle probe, a Guardian ECM, and a (somewhat limited) iC3. Neato!

In game, this would probably be a Hell's Horses design, but I think, since it is a "Carrier" design and not a front line regular MBT-type tank, that the other somewhat vehicle-averse Clans would still make use of it, since "Carrier" designs are traditionally more of a support unit. So the Bears, Falcons, Wolves, etc. would probably all be ok using it.

AND IT'S CHEAP! So much of the criticisms of designs here are about the costs... which is fair. You can min-max a spectacular awesome design, but if it costs more than the dropship delivering it, who outside of a design laboratory or a Solaris arena would realistically use it? 10 million for this here Heavy iATM carrier. (mostly owing to the relatively inexpensive Fuel Cell engine.)

Thoughts?
ghostrider
05/22/16 11:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok. The wiki does not support the automated streak function but says something about the artimis system.
Other then that issue, it looks to be why people think tanks are overpowered.
The armor is great and the firepower provided is definitely something that would keep mechs away from the battle field.

As a side note, unless they changed the Falcons, I don't see them embracing this, though they would use it once it was proven to work well. The Horses, Bears and Wolves would definitely use it.
Karagin
05/23/16 06:43 AM

Impressive means of bringing the rain down on the enemy.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
05/23/16 11:06 AM

Ok. I made a mistake with the wiki. I thought it did like my IE. You know when you type and it misses the first letters at times.
Well I didn't check, and sure enough I looked up the atm information, not the iatm.
The iatm does use streak technology, so you are correct.
So the wiki does support that. Sorry for the hiccup.
Akalabeth
05/24/16 03:32 PM

A lot of firepower but will probably get targeted and destroyed early on since ATMs can't indirect.
Also personally I'd put bigger launchers, not 3's, simply because I don't want to roll 20 pairs of dice every time.
CrayModerator
05/24/16 05:57 PM

I'm always a fan of missile carriers and sensibly designed vehicles.

Side comment: You'd get almost the same average damage from an equal tonnage of Clan LRMs, which would eliminate the limitation of needing multiple ammo types to get best performance from the weapon. Of course, you'd lose the Streak benefit.

Speaking of multiple ammo types, do the iATMs at least have Thunder, Smoke, and incendiary munitions?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
05/24/16 10:24 PM

The wiki is saying Standard, HE, and Er. as well as,,,
The iATM can use the three ammunition types available to the standard ATM, but it also has two additional ammunition types that are restricted to itself (that is, these two ammunition types cannot be used by the ATM).[1]

These two special munitions are Improved Magnetic Pulse Ammunition and Improved Inferno Ammunition.

It is interesting that....
Unlike the ATM, the iATM uses a Streak SRM style guidance system to improve accuracy. Unlike the Streak system, however, the iATM can use indirect fire.

Looks like the developers decided to break the rules and allow streaks on this system to fire indirectly.
Akalabeth
05/25/16 02:54 PM

Quote:
Akalabeth writes:

A lot of firepower but will probably get targeted and destroyed early on since ATMs can't indirect.

Oops, I guess iATMs can indirect. Haven't used them before.

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Looks like the developers decided to break the rules and allow streaks on this system to fire indirectly.

If the wiki is correct, it's expressly stated that the system doesn't benefit from the Streak technology when firing indirectly. So no rules are broken.
CrayModerator
05/26/16 05:59 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

It wasn't a universal rule and law of science in BT, it was a rule specific to Streak SRMs and LRMs.

If you start saying every new feature offered by new equipment breaks a rule, then it starts sounding odd: XL engines break the rules for fusion engine weight; Streak missiles break the rules for the number of SRMs that hit; pulse lasers break the rules for weapon accuracy; double heat sinks break the rules for the number of crits used by and heat dissipated from heat sinks; LBXs break the rules for how many locations are hit by an autocannon; etc.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
05/26/16 07:33 PM

No not broken. Just changed again so they can come out with new systems without coming up with something new.
I will have to look thru the books I have, as it was implied streaks needed a direct line of fire, and was not eligable to be fired indirectly.
But this is heading off of the carrier.

And HG. Have you tried this out on a mech chasis yet? Might allow you a monster unit especially if you can make a complete unit with them.
Set some up for fire support while a few go in assault mode and do close up fighting.
happyguy49
05/27/16 01:51 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:
And HG. Have you tried this out on a mech chasis yet? Might allow you a monster unit especially if you can make a complete unit with them.
Set some up for fire support while a few go in assault mode and do close up fighting.

http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/178293/an/0/page/1#178293

(hopefully that links to my "Archer IIC" design.) That's the closest thing I've made to a 'Mech iATM carrier. I don't think "weapon carrier" designs can always work as mechs though, because of space limitations.
ghostrider
05/27/16 01:58 AM

It did link to the right unit. You used 12 packs on it, instead of the 3 packs here. Granted it would actually make a great defense tower as well.

I can definitely see these being set up around a factory to help protect it from invaders. Done right, and the invaders would have to destroy the factor just getting into it.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6309

Contact Admins Sarna.net